Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City - Slane, Travel Times and Toll Costs?

Options
  • 19-06-2009 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Ok lads need some info,

The OH and I will be heading to Slane from Cork City on Saturday morning and we want to know how many tolls will be involved, how much they will cost & how long will it take to drive?

We will also plan to head to never never land (Northern Ireland) for some shopping on Sunday, coming from Slane via the N51 will we have to pay the toll on the M1 or will we avoid it? (I've missplaced my map book)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Depends how fast you normally do.

Id hazard a guess of 3.5 hours to get there. Maybe bit longer allowing for traffic at Slane.

If i were you id approach from Navan side, not the Dublin one. As a veteran of 3 Slanes in the past from either end, I learned the hard way about the Sardine can effect you get coming out of the venue towards the city

Tollwise...

Fermoy - €2ish
    M50 (if your going via Dublin side) - €3. Im assuming as a corkman, you have not signed up for Eflow's video tag. Can save yourself 50c if you do. Hardly worth the bother if you dont use them often

After the gig, you will have to use the M1 (€2.10 i think) to go north, assuming your not going through Drogheda

So maybe keep ~€10 for the tolls. The M50 ones can be paid in most shops up and down the country

Enjoy the gig. Egg the Prodigy for me. I would have gone if they werent playing, but they suck-diddly-ucked at Oxegen last year

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I might suggest avoiding Dublin altogether. Driving out the N2 would be tough enough. I was on that road last night and there was a lot of warning.

By the way, Slane is closed to through traffic on Saturday. They have diversions going via Kilmoon and Duleek over to the M1.

Anyway, from Port Laois, I would suggest heading to Tullamore (N80), then Mullingar (N52) and Kells. From Kells, take the R163 (Headfort Road) for about 15 miles to Slane.

Ibelieve if you go this way, you will not be using the entrance that the majority of people will be using, i.e. the ones coming from Dublin.

Toll on the Fermoy bypass is 1.90.

My travel time from Cork to Kells is usually in or around 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

coming from Slane to the M1 northbound, there's no toll from the N51 junction, it's north of the Boyne

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

If i were you id approach from Navan side, not the Dublin one. As a veteran of 3 Slanes in the past from either end, I learned the hard way about the Sardine can effect you get coming out of the venue towards the city

Going by that i'll take the N3 to Navan and head to Slane from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Going by that i'll take the N3 to Navan and head to Slane from there.

Dont be a sissy with your "Wah wah im not going near R roads - i must use the M50" attitude. Use the guy aboves directions - he sounds like he knows what hes on about. Will save you miles of petrol plus no toll :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Dont be a sissy with your "Wah wah im not going near R roads - i must use the M50" attitude. Use the guy aboves directions - he sounds like he knows what hes on about. Will save you miles of petrol plus no toll :D

In fairness, isn't that stretch of N52 one of the worst stretches of N road in the country?

Advertisement