Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Has Wexford No McDonald's?

Options
  • 19-06-2009 1:55am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭

McDonalds now has 78 restaurants throughout Ireland, and one in every county except for two - Leitrim and Wexford.

Now Leitrim not having a MaccyDs I can understand, as it only has 28,000 people but Wexford has a poplation of over 132,000, with 20,000 in Wexford town alone.

I know there are many who don't like McDonald's and what they represent, but surely Wexford should have at least one?:confused:

Does Wexford have any big names in fast food? KFC, Pizza Hut, Burger King or Supermacs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

And you're complaining...Why ???:pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

ciano1 wrote: »
    And you're complaining...Why ???:pac:

Because I like MaccyD's and want one in Wexford, that's why!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

there is a kfc outside wexford town and there is a few well known pizza places scattered round the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Wexford has the rip-off 'Burger Macs’ (€9 for a f**king chickin burger), KFC (real chicken?), Abrakabara and Uncles Sams.

If Ronald Mac Donald was to suddenly start wearing a Wexford Gaa jersey I’m sure the county would be full of them.

But until he does (and in Wexford's defence) Abrakaabra does the nicest taco fries in Ireland. Fact. (I lived in Wexford town for 3 years:( and I’ve been to a lot of abrakabaras around Ireland)

If you want McDonald's go to Waterford.

Well...it seems that places like Burger Macs can rip people off is that there's no MaccyD's to have a competition. Not a good thing.

I want to see the Golden Arches rise over Wexford. It needs to get wih the rest of the country.
    20061213mcdonalds.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

The Mcdonalds being built in Drinagh at the roundabout should be ready in a couple of months so not long to go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Yh, mcdonalds opening in august, jobs being advertised for it at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Black Lead

timmywex wrote: »
    Yh, mcdonalds opening in august, jobs being advertised for it at the moment!

Around a dozen jobs but if you can't get a guaranteed full time contract from them (30 -35 hours) then it isn't worth working for them unless your a teenager/student as the 20 hour part time contract is less than the dole sure you may get a few extra hours but i think people are fools for working for these kinda places.

Its location is really bad but no doubt you will have kiddies screaming to mammy and daddy to bring them out there, They should have opened up in the town and like the omniplex cinema it will probably be dead within a year.

I don't know why people like mcdonalds tasteless expensive food you eat it and your still hungry give me a proper chipper anyday

Anyway we have had Mcdonalds in wexford for years on South Main Street.

It's a drive -tru and therefore a great location as you have the Leisure plex right beside it.

Badabing wrote: »
    It's a drive -tru and therefore a great location as you have the Leisure plex right beside it.

A drive -tru ? Thats even worse what do you do if you don't have a car and don't want to have a takeaway ?

Can't see this place doing much business. Sure the first few months because its something new but after that not a chance.

• Advertisement

Black Lead wrote: »
    A drive -tru ? Thats even worse what do you do if you don't have a car and don't want to have a takeaway ?

Can't see this place doing much business. Sure the first few months because its something new but after that not a chance.

You know wexford has rural parts aswell! how do people get shopping etc.. not everyone is a towny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Pity Wexford has far more class than other towns that have them - waterford arklow,killarney to name a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Alyosha

It's also close to the cinema. And on the route from Wexford Town to Rosslare Harbour. Think it will do alright. Anyone know if it's a Wexford fella behind it or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

JupiterKid wrote: »

Does Wexford have any big names in fast food? KFC, Pizza Hut, Burger King or Supermacs?

There is a Pizza Hut here in Gorey. Down on St. Michaels Road near the church.

The New McDonalds will do well...when is it opening?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The New McDonalds will do well...when is it opening?

August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Cian R

Theres a Pizza Hut in Wexford opposite the Dunnes car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Why is there such an urge to boast about having Mac's KFC, Pizza HUt etc? They're all sh1te. Poorly designed menus for the indiscriminate gobdaw who is swayed by advertising rather than flavour. Support your local chippy and let the globe-buggering multinationals go to hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

More nutrition in eating the packaging than the product. MacDonalds is a byword for worthless food, poor pay and damage to Amazonian rain forests which are felled to make way for the cattle required to make big Macs! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icbarros

Cian R wrote: »
    Theres a Pizza Hut in Wexford opposite the Dunnes car park.

The only thing that place has from the original Pizza Hut is the name!
    I was incredibly disappointed with what I ordered from there.
    I suppose they just bought the "name" and they are doing exactly the same pizzas they were doing when they were called "Godfather's pizza".
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭diarmuidh

as a Wexfordian in Europe what disturbs me about my town is that it is going the way of the US..all the big companies are leaving the main street to go to outskirts as are the people leaving empty shops and (some) houses in a bad state..Wexford has character..don´t let it die..

MacDonalds can stay in Drinagh..for all the suburbians..hopefully more decent restaurants will come to the town in the mean time...

has anyone tried the Spanish restaurant on Anne´s St? try them out..a small place that needs some support..

Burgermac is a rip off indeed...Have to try Taco fries & rissoles next time I´m over

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 gonzothegreat

The McD's being built in Drinagh is the longest build of a McD's I,ve ever seen. I'm not a big fan but comming from Dublin I've kinda missed them. There handy for a little threat for kids and there's a Dominos Pizza in the town just up the road from Tesco. mmmmm pizza:P

Bearhunter wrote: »
    Support your local chippy and let the globe-buggering multinationals go to hell.

Support them when they give decent prices. The multinationals only do so well because people like them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Tomas911

All the McDonalds are franchises, so if there wasn't one there until this new one, it basically means a private business person hadn't bothered to open one. Clearly a missed business opportunity for some one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Jesus who cares whether Wexford has a Macdonalds or not. Of more importance and concern is the fact that the center of Wexford is losing independent retail stores etc. Its pretty sad that Ireland wants to ape SoullessMallVilleUsa for treats "for the kids" .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭diarmuidh

JD what a shame..people in Ireland should eat decent food and not the crap from MacDonalds, Pizzahut..Jamie where are you!

There is an opportunity for business people to make some money targeting kids & parents with decent food in Wexford and all over the country in my opinion

Wexford town is losing its character it´s sad to see

Support them when they give decent prices. The multinationals only do so well because people like them

Actually the local chip shops are good value for money and the multinationals only do so well because of years of advertising and brainwashing

As for Wexford loosing character its been happening for over 10 years I hoping the recession gets worse and all the big brand name companies pull out of Wexford.

This new Mcdonalds is a joke though, a drive in ? Come On try and expalin to the kiddies that they can't go in and sit down and have a little birthday party.

The Drinagh Retail park may have a Mcdonalds but there is no over business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

it may be a drive-in but surely that is an option rather than the only option?...find it hard to believe people won't be able to sit in...are you sure about that?...i have never seen a drive through only maccy d's?

Black Lead wrote: »
    Actually the local chip shops are good value for money and the multinationals only do so well because of years of advertising and brainwashing

As for Wexford loosing character its been happening for over 10 years I hoping the recession gets worse and all the big brand name companies pull out of Wexford.
    This new Mcdonalds is a joke though, a drive in ? Come On try and expalin to the kiddies that they can't go in and sit down and have a little birthday party.

The Drinagh Retail park may have a Mcdonalds but there is no over business

You hope more people lose their jobs? you're a nice fella aint ya. Oh and of course Mcdonalds will have a sitting area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

Tomas911 wrote: »
    All the McDonalds are franchises, so if there wasn't one there until this new one, it basically means a private business person hadn't bothered to open one. Clearly a missed business opportunity for some one.
    Had a discussion about this with a guy in work last week. Seemingly to get a McDonalds franchise costs around the million mark but once you have it you're an instant millionaire. The next time you are in one just watch how many people are served while you are eating your meal. The places are a feckin goldmine!

Advertisement