Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Has Wexford No McDonald's?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So the new McDonalds is now open and doing thriving business by the sounds of it.:) It looks like Wexford was waiting for quite a long time for Maccers to arrive in the Model County.

Now Leitrim is the only county left in Ireland that doesn't have a McDoanlds (Laois's opens in a few weeks).

But why a drive thru on the outskirts of the town? Why not a town centre unit along Main Street?

Do you think another town in Wexford will get the Golden Arches? Like Gorey or New Ross?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

gotta laugh, people queing for 30 minutes plus to get maccy d's! The bastard place been open years in Arklow, why not go there, no difference, still **** junk food for the soulless plebs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Yeah, I hope we get one in DG soon as we badly need another third rate takeaway to add to our unbeatable collection. There's nothing left in the town but takeaways, estate agents and hair dressers. We even have a takeaway that was prosecuted for selling snail burgers! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So the new McDonalds is now open and doing thriving business by the sounds of it.:) It looks like Wexford was waiting for quite a long time for Maccers to arrive in the Model County.

Now Leitrim is the only county left in Ireland that doesn't have a McDoanlds (Laois's opens in a few weeks).

But why a drive thru on the outskirts of the town? Why not a town centre unit along Main Street?

Do you think another town in Wexford will get the Golden Arches? Like Gorey or New Ross?

Because once you turn 18 you rarely go into town centres and if you do you will rarely want to pop into McDs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Murtinho wrote: »
    Do you have kids? I used to live abroad and had a mate i played football with, pure commie and vegetarian, hated Mcd's and all large companies etc.
    Anyway he had two boys, 7 & 4 or so at the time, turned up at a game one day with the kids in tow with a happy meal each. Said he finally understood!!!!
    Happy meals, does not mean the kids are happy, means the parents are! Where is it?

• Advertisement

Bump...

Has the McDonalds in Wexford closed down or something?:confused::(

I was looking at the McDonalds Ireland website (it's MaccyD's 35th anniversary in Ireland BTW:pac:) and it lists the closest McDonalds to Wexford as Waterford city, Arklow and Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Bump...

I was looking at the McDonalds Ireland website (it's MaccyD's 35th anniversary in Ireland BTW:pac:) and it lists the closest McDonalds to Wexford as Waterford city, Arklow and Carlow.

I drove past there yesterday and it was still open anyway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

Bump...

Was in there yesterday afternoon for the first time and it was mad busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

kmurph wrote: »

Why did they put it out there in fairness? Ok, its busy from the crowds off the boat etc but you would think that in the center of town it would make a killing. Similar to KFC which is empty most of the time. Somewhere like Redmonds Sq would have been ideal...

Cheers lads for the replies. I'd thought that it was strange that McDonalds seemed to have no presence in Wexford according to their website - must be an error on their part.

I've seen the McDonalds at Drinagh and I think that it's got the best designed exterior of any McDs I've seen anywhere in Ireland. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

McDs is one of the busiest retailers in County Wexford. I wish I had the franchise :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

kmurph wrote: »
    Why did they put it out there in fairness? Ok, its busy from the crowds off the boat etc but you would think that in the center of town it would make a killing. Similar to KFC which is empty most of the time. Somewhere like Redmonds Sq would have been ideal...

not sure how it is similar to somewhere that is empty most of the time, the McDonalds where it is located now in Drinagh is one of the buiser franchises in Ireland. Redmond square would only get a pedestrian crowd, in an area that has what, about 5 other chippers in close proximity.
    Cheers lads for the replies. I'd thought that it was strange that McDonalds seemed to have no presence in Wexford according to their website - must be an error on their part.

I've seen the McDonalds at Drinagh and I think that it's got the best designed exterior of any McDs I've seen anywhere in Ireland. :-)

what? all new builds in the last 3 years or more are all the same, all based on the very same template. they just re hash every plan they have for each new store.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

Ha the place is always crazy busy, I don't think they have a problem with the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I can think of one good reason that KFC is like a ghost town...

It has the slowest service in a 'fast food resteraunt' that I think I have ever came across.

You go into McDonalds and there could be 20 people in front of you, but you'll still have your food within 10 minutes.

You go into KFC and there are 4 people in front of you and you could be waiting for 15 minutes.

It's so slow it's no even funny... and whilst there are some very friendly staff in there, there are also a couple of... well, you know the rest.

bruschi wrote: »
    what? all new builds in the last 3 years or more are all the same, all based on the very same template. they just re hash every plan they have for each new store.

I'm not sure about that.

Whilst McDonalds had a longstanding generic drive-thru/stand alone design for their outlets from 1968 to 1995 with the red brick exterior and the mansard roofs, in recent years their eateries have much more varied designs.

Some are just like boxy metal small industrial units and look pretty ugly. The Wexford one is architect designed and is a re-interpretation of the late 20th century familiar McDonalds design for the 2010s.

I like it.:P:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

McDonald's in Wexford also has the friendliest staff I've ever encountered in a McD's. They always seem cheerful and not in that forced 'Have a nice day' way!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I'm not sure about that.

Whilst McDonalds had a longstanding generic drive-thru/stand alone design for their outlets from 1968 to 1995 with the red brick exterior and the mansard roofs, in recent years their eateries have much more varied designs.

Some are just like boxy metal small industrial units and look pretty ugly. The Wexford one is architect designed and is a re-interpretation of the late 20th century familiar McDonalds design for the 2010s.

I like it.:P:)

all the recent McDonalds are architect designed, all by the same architect (Gibneys) and all a generic design. even the furniture layout and decor is the same, the only difference in outlets is some have a kidney shaped tile floor design, and others dont. But they all have the same canopy cladding detail, the same timber slatted design, the same drive thru bases and signs, and the same doors and interior design layout, with the very same floor tiles. And they are revamping existing stores to match the new layouts and interior designs.

Other differences come with the actual shell, some are within shopping centre designs so dont have the same freedom as Wexford, Portlaoise, Ennis, and the likes all have much the same design, but all the independent ones are pretty much identical.

Advertisement