Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone upgrading to core i7?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

requiem1 wrote: »
    On that last point there will be a core i5 with IGP not an i9 here's the chart. Also they say that the architecture is westmere but i've read it lynnfield
    641ad8ab-8dad-4c1f-944d-a26a9d1323ae.jpg

That's a lot of new sockets by the looks of things. Bit of a pain in the ass.
    Gerb68 wrote: »
    It seems alot of people went with the Noctua cpu cooler is that because of the dual fan?

Can I ask AlmightyCushion did you buy a thermalright and if so where?
    Yup I got one. I bought it from www.hpm-computer.de

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

well then i'm waiting for core i9 or i10. still using a e6300 and 7800gt feel no need to upgrade. of course i'll have to wait for micro-itx boards, there is one i7 but its a bit pricey

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

That table looks wonky...

Penryn is available in 2 or 4 cores and sure ain't LGA775 :P

Pretty sure Arrandale is mobile i5, not mobile C2D.

Lynnfield typo: should be LGA1156, not 1155. Pretty sure it won't have 8MB L3 either! And why does it have a seperate column under i7 as well?

Finally those dates are well off. With no competition from AMD at the high-end and performance issues i5 ain't gonna be out in May... seeing as it's already July :P I doubt we'll be seeing them anytime soon in fact. And 32nm processes are miles off (TSMC can't even get reliable volume production from 40nm) I doubt we'll see any 32nm chips this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

towel401 wrote: »
    well then i'm waiting for core i9 or i10. still using a e6300 and 7800gt feel no need to upgrade. of course i'll have to wait for micro-itx boards, there is one i7 but its a bit pricey

there are x3 motherboards in m-atx on komplett atm...

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=461441 €160 cheapest msi m-atx
    the most expensive is over €220 for the rampage.

Kinda annoyed at the lack of mATX and mITX AM3 mobos. AMD and their board partners aren't doing themselves any favours by locking themselves out of the lucrative LANparty market... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

yea they need to start making more small boards. especially as people these days are going for laptops because desktop computers take up too much space.

will there be i9 and the like m-itx boards? i thought those yokes were mostly for low-spec things with soldered in low-power processors

Not really as a more general mITX market is just starting to take off, seeing as liquid cooling solves a lot of problems with CPU cooler form factor so long as you can mount or mod a single 120mm fan on a given SFF case (with SFF more often mod than mount ;)). There are already a ton of mATX X58 boards for LAN rigs so the lack of AM3 ones is a real bone of contention (AM2 not only forces you to use DDR2 but even with a SB750 and ACC P2s just don't want to OC well on them :()

In any case we may well see an i5 mITX and the existance of high-end AM2+ mITX boards suggests an AM3 update is more than possible but I doubt we'll see i7/i9 mITX boards. Then again, in that niche market a little demand goes a long way and we've already seen Zotac and J&W push the form factor into the mainstream...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Gonzales24

there are not much games out there wich are actually using quad power.. that sayed..
    so when u wanna a game rig, there is no need for UBER everything, but a smart chose of something. :P
    the difference in games between intel 2 Quad or an i7 wouldnt be as much as the difference between a older graphics card compared to a new one... or a weak model to a high-end!!!
    my way would be, go for a really good LGA775 MB (good OC) with good pair of ram and core 2 Quad. really good OC potencial even with air-cooling!!!! and invest the money saved in the latest on graphics card and in a SSD as a boot disk.. ;).

Yeah, except that most places are finally starting to run low on Q6600/6700 stock, which is a big prob as the 45nm C2Qs kinda suck. They're not bad, just overpriced and OC-unfriendly (any headroom you could exploit would come at the price of upping the mobo spend from ~€100 to ~€200 :() Its kinda sucky when you drop €300 on a C2Q and mobo and have a hard time scraping 3.4GHz on heavy OC when some chancer with a €80 X2-550BE and an ASRock mobo goes and unlocks the other cores and gets it running stable at 3.4GHz at lower voltage and heat for just over half the price. Not that the P2s are particularly predictable in temperment but they're such good competition against those lacklustre 45nm C2Qs Intel must be feeling a bit green right now... just bad timing to show weakness in that end of the market with AMD on the rampage again thanks to the wacky world of Phenom2 :D [/nitpick]

The big issue is that more and more new game releases seem to be thread-aware so its a bad time to lack a defensive tri-core option which is both fast but not too off the pace for overall power compared to a slower quad. With the easy-OC X3-720BE selling for peanuts its a good time to go for more than two cores... just in case...

there are planty on ebay.ie or ebay.de try there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

Solitaire wrote: »
    Yeah, except that most places are finally starting to run low on Q6600/6700 stock, which is a big prob as the 45nm C2Qs kinda suck. They're not bad, just overpriced and OC-unfriendly (any headroom you could exploit would come at the price of upping the mobo spend from ~€100 to ~€200 :() Its kinda sucky when you drop €300 on a C2Q and mobo and have a hard time scraping 3.4GHz on heavy OC when some chancer with a €80 X2-550BE and an ASRock mobo goes and unlocks the other cores and gets it running stable at 3.4GHz at lower voltage and heat for just over half the price. Not that the P2s are particularly predictable in temperment but they're such good competition against those lacklustre 45nm C2Qs Intel must be feeling a bit green right now... just bad timing to show weakness in that end of the market with AMD on the rampage again thanks to the wacky world of Phenom2 :D [/nitpick]

The E0 stepping 45nm C2Qs overclock really well (I can vouch for the Q9650 at least). I have mine 24/7 OC to 4GHz on air at moderate voltage on an Asus X38

I really meant the cheapie Q8X00 and the Q9300, Q9450 and up are good kit, but sometimes too close to i7-920 in price. Actually the price cuts have dropped the Q9550 out of stark-raving-loony land and its now a sweet buy given its now well under €190! :D

somakasvh is right, q9650 is one of the better 45nm core 2 quads. it sopouse to be the new Q6600, Q9650 overclocked to 4Ghz on air outruns a i7-940, specially combined with DDR3. that sayed, when u dont wanna burn a hole in ure wallet and still get great performance, go for the q9650 with a great cooler such us MUGEN-2 or Titan fenrir u schold get 4Ghz out of it, combined with DDR3 memory u will have a i7-940 competetor. respect

Advertisement