Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LRO away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'm really looking forward to this too. I was born after the apollo missions and yet i still get excited watching the old footage. Would love to see man land on the moon in my lifetime!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

lord lucan wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to this too. I was born after the apollo missions and yet i still get excited watching the old footage. Would love to see man land on the moon in my lifetime!
    The year 2020 or shortly after fingers crossed. One other benefit of LRO is its ability to image very closeup on the lunar surface. It should be enough to image the original Apollo landing sites and hopefully shut the "lunar hoaxers" up, once and for all.

Beeker wrote: »
    The year 2020 or shortly after fingers crossed. One other benefit of LRO is its ability to image very closeup on the lunar surface. It should be enough to image the original Apollo landing sites and hopefully shut the "lunar hoaxers" up, once and for all.

It'll take more than a few pictures to shut them up,they'll just say they were photoshopped by NASA in houston or something!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

did the japanese vehicle not photo these sites?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

did the japanese vehicle not photo these sites?
    Yes but not with high enough resolution to make out the site

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Amazing video! When it passed out of the atmosphere, didn't the flames look strange? Like CGI flames.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Amazing video! When it passed out of the atmosphere, didn't the flames look strange? Like CGI flames.

Yeah very cool, you see the same thing with Shuttle launches. It is caused by the low air pressure and at that altitude.

First pics are being beamed back already.

http://spaceflightnow.com/atlas/av020/090702firstpix/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

lord lucan wrote: »
    First pics are being beamed back already.

http://spaceflightnow.com/atlas/av020/090702firstpix/

Amazing

Is it building the lunar map pushbroom-style? As in are they mapping it by photographing the surface at that res then piecing together?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

So how long before we have photos of the Luna and apollo sites?

Also this Crash bit, and the subsequent Plume, will they be able to confirm/deny this Helium 3 thing??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

It would be really cool if they could get photos of the Apollo sites,
    I've been watching the Apollo documentaries on BBC4 for the last week, and those missions are some the most amazing/inspiring achievements of man.

It would be really cool if they could get photos of the Apollo sites,
    I've been watching the Apollo documentaries on BBC4 for the last week, and those missions are some the most amazing/inspiring achievements of man.
    They will get the photos of the sites over the next few months. It is said that Google are going to set up a new Google Moon site which will provide close uo views of the moon including the Apollo sites. Something like Google Earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭briktop

ah come on lads , its obvious as hell that most, if not all of apollo was faked

I was a serious apollo fan since being a tiny kid ,and i saw the last moon landing - so they say on - tv .

had all the pics, the models , the books ,
    and after looking into the details on the web , its saddingly obvious even to a die hard fan like me that they faked the majority of it .

i was truly sickened when the penny dropped but - apollo just didnt happen .

and you know what gives it away the most ?

its the reaction of the 11 crew in the post landing press conference
    these lads are obviously lying, and are themselves sickened by what they are doing - watch mike collins whip around at the start to look at armstrong - as armstrongs voice breaks as he forces himself to lie .
    collins is worried neal is gonna flip . armstrong is battling serious demons here.
    do they look happy ? , successful ? proud ? do they hell !!

have a look , from 3 mins in - and say to yourself - are these men telling the truth ?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1535324572487804641

they are so obviously lying , anyone can see by the body language
    and they are sickened by it themselves.

this above all evidence convinced me it was a sham .
    and it still sickens me .

and you will never see photos of the landing sites released.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

briktop wrote: »

My god, why didn't you tell the world sooner?

Sure

Whats with all the CT trolling here?

ah come on lads , its obvious as hell that most, if not all of apollo was faked

I was a serious apollo fan since being a tiny kid ,and i saw the last moon landing - so they say on - tv .

had all the pics, the models , the books ,
    and after looking into the details on the web , its saddingly obvious even to a die hard fan like me that they faked the majority of it .

i was truly sickened when the penny dropped but - apollo just didnt happen .

its the reaction of the 11 crew in the post landing press conference
    these lads are obviously lying, and are themselves sickened by what they are doing - watch mike collins whip around at the start to look at armstrong - as armstrongs voice breaks as he forces himself to lie .
    collins is worried neal is gonna flip . armstrong is battling serious demons here.
    do they look happy ? , successful ? proud ? do they hell !!

have a look , from 3 mins in - and say to yourself - are these men telling the truth ?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1535324572487804641

this above all evidence convinced me it was a sham .
    and it still sickens me .

You convinced me!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭briktop

not trolling at all, been an astronomy and space buff all my life .
    but NASA are a bunch of gigantic liars , and make a mockery of science .

the fact that :

1/ if you are alive - you cannot fly through the van allen radition belts without getting fried - machines can - men cant .

2/ the cameras and film used on the moon would not have survived the temperature changes and the radiation on the moon surface.

3/ the cameras had no view finders - and had to be guessed to shoot at targets - yet
    some of the most amazingly composed photos are magically shot by this method

its didnt happen .

not trolling at all, been an astronomy and space buff all my life .
    but NASA are a bunch of gigantic liars , and make a mockery of science .

the fact that :

1/ if you are alive - you cannot fly through the van allen radition belts without getting fried - machines can - men cant .
    Yes they can and did. Humans can withstand the radition for short periods of time. It only took them a few hours to pass through the belts. They would needed to stay in the belts for days to have received enough radiation to do any harm.
    2/ the cameras and film used on the moon would not have survived the temperature changes and the radiation on the moon surface.
    Yes they would and did! Kodak and many photographic experts have repeatly stated this.

3/ the cameras had no view finders - and had to be guessed to shoot at targets - yet some of the most amazingly composed photos are magically shot by this method its didnt happen .
    No magic involved, you just point and shoot. Not all the apollo shots are amazing. They shot hundreds of photos and then picked out the best for publication.

Look use some common sense here.
    1/ If the Americans tried to fake, the first to call foul would have been the USSR. They were in a race and each monitered each others progress and transmissions closly. They would have known and trust me so would the world.

2/ To fake the landings you would have had to get hundreds if not thousands of people to keep it quite not just then but for the last 40 years. It would have been easier just to land on the moon.

3/ The rocks returned from the moon contain minerals not present in earth rocks. Theses rocks have been examined by universities all over the world including China and Russia. Any foul play would have been reported.

4/ All the Apollo landing crews left scientific instruments on the moon which transmitted info back to Earth, not just to NASA but to institutes accross the USA. These institutes would have known if the data was not originating from the Moon.

5/ All the Apollo landing crews left reflectors on the moon which are still used today to fire laser beams at them to measure the distance to the moon and record any changes. If those reflectors were not there what are the lasers bouncing off?

6/ If you are going to fake and try to get away with it, fine but why do it six times?

Get real it did happen!

By the way that news conference looks normal to me. Dont forget that these guys were test pilots and in general were very uncomfortable with public speaking, especially Armstrong

Ah now there are a lot of Conspiracies ascosciated with the moon landings, and I have no doubt that Armstrong and Aldrin are hiding something, tis quite possible they were watched by something as yet Unidentified.

But they went to the moon, they still aint tellin us the whole truth about what transpired up there, but they went.

anyway as I said ina diferent thread, I'll save my overawedness at the whole thing for the moment they find Alan Shepherd's Golf ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

anyway as I said ina diferent thread, I'll save my overawedness at the whole thing for the moment they find Alan Shepherd's Golf ball

Personally i feel something like that should be left undisturbed.

And there were 2 or 3 weren't there?

What, and let him offwith a drop Shot??

Moon or not the rules of Golf still apply :D:D:D:D:D

But anyway we Digress.

the other point of interest thats poppin back up is Helium 3, whats the story wit it?????

• Advertisement

Whilst the impact on the Moon and pictures of the landing sites got all the attention,the LRO is still in research mode. One of its elements,the Diviner,will measure the Moons temperature whilst the sun is blocked by Earth in a couple of days time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

What, and let him offwith a drop Shot??

Moon or not the rules of Golf still apply :D:D:D:D:D

But anyway we Digress.

the other point of interest thats poppin back up is Helium 3, whats the story wit it?????

Is Helium 3 really that valueable that it would cause a race to get back to the moon to mine it ?

If there were solid bars of gold stacked on the moon, you would still make a loss getting them back to earth at present.

Is Helium 3 really that valueable that it would cause a race to get back to the moon to mine it ?

If there were solid bars of gold stacked on the moon, you would still make a loss getting them back to earth at present.
    I think Helium 3 is only valuable as a fuel for nuclear fusion. So until we master nuclear fusion it is of no real value. At least thats my understanding.

Advertisement