Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pixar does decent by a dying 10yr old girl

• 19-06-2009 4:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pixar-up-movie-2468059-home-show
    HUNTINGTON BEACH – Colby Curtin, a 10-year-old with a rare form of cancer, was staying alive for one thing – a movie.
    From the minute Colby saw the previews to the Disney-Pixar movie Up, she was desperate to see it. Colby had been diagnosed with vascular cancer about three years ago, said her mother, Lisa Curtin, and at the beginning of this month it became apparent that she would die soon and was too ill to be moved to a theater to see the film.
    After a family friend made frantic calls to Pixar to help grant Colby her dying wish, Pixar came to the rescue.
    The company flew an employee with a DVD of Up, which is only in theaters, to the Curtins’ Huntington Beach home on June 10 for a private viewing of the movie.
    The animated movie begins with scenes showing the evolution of a relationship between a husband and wife. After losing his wife in old age, the now grumpy man deals with his loss by attaching thousands of balloons to his house, flying into the sky, and going on an adventure with a little boy.
    Colby died about seven hours after seeing the film.
    With her daughter’s vigil planned for Friday, Lisa Curtin reflected about how grateful she is that Pixar – and "Up" – were a part of her only child’s last day.
    “When I watched it, I had really no idea about the content of the theme of the movie,” said Curtin, 46. “I just know that word ‘Up’ and all of the balloons and I swear to you, for me it meant that (Colby) was going to go up. Up to heaven.”
    Pixar officials declined to comment on the story or name the employees involved.
    THE PREVIEWS
    Colby was diagnosed with vascular cancer on Dec. 23, 2005 after doctors found a tumor in her liver. At the time of her death, her stomach was about 94 inches around, swollen with fluids the cancer wouldn’t let her body properly digest. The rest of her body probably weighed about 45 pounds, family friend Carole Lynch said.
    Colby had gone to Newport Elementary School and was known for making others laugh, family friend Terrell Orum said. Colby loved to dance, sing, swim and seemed to have a more mature understanding of the world than other children her age, Orum said.
    On April 28, Colby went to see the Dream Works 3-D movie "Monsters Vs. Aliens" but was impressed by the previews to "Up."
    “It was from then on, she said, ‘I have to see that movie. It is so cool,’” Lynch said.
    Colby was a movie fan, Lisa Curtin said, and she latched onto Pixar’s movies because she loved animals.
    Two days later Colby’s health began to worsen. On June 4 her mother asked a hospice company to bring a wheelchair for Colby so she could visit a theater to see "Up." However, the weekend went by and the wheelchair was not delivered, Lisa Curtin said.
    By June 9, Colby could no longer be transported to a theater and her family feared she would die without having seen the movie.
    At that point, Orum, who desperately wanted Colby to get her last wish, began to cold-call Pixar and Disney to see if someone could help.
    Pixar has an automated telephone answering system, Orum said, and unless she had a name of a specific person she wanted to speak to, she could not get through. Orum guessed a name and the computer system transferred her to someone who could help, she said.
    Pixar officials listened to Colby’s story and agreed to send someone to Colby’s house the next day with a DVD of "Up," Orum recalled.
    She immediately called Lisa Curtin, who told Colby.
    “Do you think you can hang on?” Colby’s mother said.
    “I’m ready (to die), but I’m going to wait for the movie,” the girl replied.
    THE MOVIE
    At about 12:30 p.m. the Pixar employee came to the Curtins’ home with the DVD.
    He had a bag of stuffed animals of characters in the movie and a movie poster. He shared some quirky background details of the movie and the group settled in to watch Up.
    Colby couldn't see the screen because the pain kept her eyes closed so her mother gave her a play-by-play of the film.
    At the end of the film, the mother asked if her daughter enjoyed the movie and Colby nodded yes, Lisa Curtin said.
    The employee left after the movie, taking the DVD with him, Lynch said.
    “He couldn’t have been nicer,” said Lynch who watched the movie with the family. “His eyes were just welled up.”
    After the movie, Colby’s dad, Michael Curtin, who is divorced from Lisa Curtin, came to visit.
    Colby died with her mom and dad nearby at 9:20 p.m.
    Among the Up memorabilia the employee gave Colby was an “adventure book” – a scrap book the main character’s wife used to chronicle her journeys.
    “I’ll have to fill those adventures in for her,” Lisa Curtin said.

Now if that isn't the saddest thing you've read all week, you're a heartless inhuman bastard.

And yes, I welled up when I read it too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

That or you've read something more sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Nice one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

My heart just broke, I'm actually crying. There's no words for this kind of thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

man-tears though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Nice story, good to see there's still some decency left in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Good work by Pixar.

If anyone throws in typical AH comments in to this thread I'll ban their ass. Try to have serious thread for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

sad sad story. Fair play to pixar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Overheal wrote: »
    man-tears though.

My ten year old sisters best friend passed away due to a terminal illness earlier this year. Man-tears? Does not compute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Beautiful... I can see the hand of God in this giving that Mom reassurance of where here daughter is now. If I ever get to see that movie, I'll be thinking of that little girl...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Think I've got something in my eye.... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Must admit I welled up a bit aswell, fair play to Pixar for doing their bit. But the poor girl, 10 years old having to face that. :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So who made this film? I think I missed where they mentioned it.

Jesus that is sad.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

Some awsome marketing. Im going to sit down and watch it with a nice COKE da da da da da im loving it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I think the fact that companies are made up of people, many of whom have moral codes, will prevent this from being twisted into a marketing stunt johnny. Most people won't capitalise on the death of a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I love Pixar movies , it's good to know it's not all about the money.
    Poor wee child, it's an awful way for anyone to die but when it's a child it always seems so unfair.
    Fair play to pixar for doing that.

kowloon wrote: »
    I think the fact that companies are made up of people, many of whom have moral codes, will prevent this from being twisted into a marketing stunt johnny. Most people won't capitalise on the death of a child.

like newspapes wouldnt try capitalise on a missing Maddie or a dying Jade Goodie. Im not sure i have faith in corporate morals. But i hope you are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TriceMarie

Aw wow :( poor little girl

How sad that she died 7 hours later?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It was a very kind act.

like newspapes wouldnt try capitalise on a missing Maddie or a dying Jade Goodie. Im not sure i have faith in the of corporate morals. But i hope you are right.

I'm hoping a childrens entertainment company are a litte less devious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

:( That's horrible but really really nice at the same time.

Welling up? No.. no, it's just hayfever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Just shows how fragile life is, and how brave a ten year old can be. A last wish to watch a film she couldn't even open her eyes for.

I like the way Pixar haven't even commented on this, not trying to take credit for it. Shows that they are a genuine bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So who made this film? I think I missed where they mentioned it.
    Some awsome marketing. Im going to sit down and watch it with a nice COKE da da da da da im loving it!

I'd like to draw your attention to this line.
    Pixar officials declined to comment on the story or name the employees involved.

I don't think it was a publicity stunt, as if it was it'd be Pixar running with the story not the child's family.

In work here and I have to admit I had to struggle to stop the welling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Ah that is such a sad story, I completely welled up as I read it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

again we would have hoped priests looking after innocent children would of been far from deviants, but hey. I wouldnt have much faith in corporate America.
    That has nothing to do with this thread.

I wouldnt have much faith in corporate America.

I know what you're saying makes sense, but I would like to think this is the exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Fair play to Pixar. Well played, lads.

You would need to have a heart made of rankerous crusty sh*te not to be moved by that.

Always nice to hear a story of simple human kindness. Helps to balance out some of the scumbaggery in the world- makes you think there's hope for us yet.

Terry wrote: »
    That has nothing to do with this thread.

i was talking about what we expect from people and morals. What keeps to topic in After Hours Terry??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭GlindaGale

This story is so moving. I can't stop crying now.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'd like to draw your attention to this line.

I don't think it was a publicity stunt, as if it was it'd be Pixar running with the story not the child's family.

In work here and I have to admit I had to struggle to stop the welling

as i said i hoped the poster was right when they said they didnt believe it was a publicity stunt. Its a tragic story no doubt.

They dont have to comment to get a story to spead. Internet, chat forums. I repeat i hope it isnt, i just said i dont have faith in corporate America.

Tbh I certainly don't either, but for me the fact that the little girls last wishes were effectively fulfilled and she died happier because of it is reason enough to thank them regardless of their reasoning behind it. To me it sounds like it was done on a lower staff level by some base employees, and was done on a whim. That the little girl died happier after fulfilling her last goal is reason enough to me to say a 'Well Done' to Pixar.

If I'm not mistaken, at the end of every film made by Pixar they list the 'Pixar Babies' which are all children born to staff during the production of that film. That alone makes me think its a close-knit family oreinetated organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

as i said i hoped the poster was right when they said they didnt believe it was a publicity stunt. Its a tragic story no doubt.

They dont have to comment to get a story to spead. Internet, chat forums. I repeat i hope it isnt, i just said i dont have faith in corporate America.

Oh STFU. This isnt a thread about corporate america and you shouldve been banned for your first post anyway.

back on topic: :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah fair play to Pixar, they could've buried this under some corporate bureaucracy until long after she had died, but they got the finger out and went to show her the film. Perhaps they could have left her the family with the DVD though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

that is sad alright :(, you'd have to say Fair play to Pixar/Disney, because its very rare to see such big companies doing something like that especially when it involves Movies that have not either been released in theatre or on DVD yet.

and someone at the start of the thread requested that we refrain from the usual after hours jokes.seriously,take your paranoia some place else.

seriously moving story,glad the little one got her dying wish and held on just long enough.

i dont doubt its tragic.

Rather than remove my paranoid self or over sensitive people get upset, would it not be better to post the thread in a forum other than After Hours where you get a certain responce?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

thats really sad :(

very good of pixar though (but also good publicity for them & their film..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

That is the least saddest thing I've read in a while.

I'm sorry the kid is dead tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

That had me welling up in tears - the only thing that I will say if that it would be nice if the thread came with a warning about how it is truely moving...RIP to the poor little angel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Its nice to know that some of these big companies aren't heartless money making machines.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I can still see them :confused:

Why should the AH response be a "certain response"? AH is meant to be the forum for the general consensus and whilst your original response can be expected I think that the general consensus is a more serious heartfelt one. People should be disregarding your opinion, but maybe with the theme of the thread you could accept others also.

yep, where did i not accept others view? I didnt call for anyone to be banned, or tell anyone to STFU or otherwise.

I made a point and a few people got touchy. How is this anymore "heartfelt" than child abuse or plane cashes? All of which attracts off topic comment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I think it's a really nice story rather than a sad one. I know the kid died but she died after her last wish was fulfilled. Unfortunately, children die with terminal illnesses every day, but the idea that at least this girl died happy is quite uplifting. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm at work. Damn it.

Ok, now to fake the 'dust in the eye' for a few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

orestes wrote: »
    My heart just broke, I'm actually crying. There's no words for this kind of thing

+1

Couldn't read it all.
    In work... I look mad enough already, tears aren't going to help things.

Fair play to them.
    A really lovely story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Perhaps they could have left her the family with the DVD though.

Because whoever risked bringing them the DVD to show could get sacked by leaving a DVD of a movie that has not been released worldwide yet. Any family friend could rip the DVD and put it on the net and that employee would cost Pixar millions. Kind is kind, but they still have to look after their own business.

Great story, very sad. Makes me look forward to the film that little bit more.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

this is the kind of thing that gives me faith in people. Pixar didn't have to do it, but they did. this was the girls last wish, and i hate to say it, but im sure not many terminally ill patients get to die in that situation. hats off to pixar for their kindness and my heart goes out to the family.

a really really touching story and thanks for making my day a little bit brighter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I think it's a really nice story rather than a sad one. I know the kid died but she died after her last wish was fulfilled. Unfortunately, children die with terminal illnesses every day, but the idea that at least this girl died happy is quite uplifting. :)
    +1

Stories like this demonstrate just how precious life is, I hope I have the opportunity to die fulfilling my last wish.
    Ar deis Dé go raibh a hanam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Because whoever risked bringing them the DVD to show could get sacked by leaving a DVD of a movie that has not been released worldwide yet. Any family friend could rip the DVD and put it on the net and that employee would cost Pixar millions. Kind is kind, but they still have to look after their own business.

Great story, very sad. Makes me look forward to the film that little bit more.

And I also doubt that the parents will want to watch Uo for many many years as it'll forever be associated with their daughter's last day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ah jesus, tear-jerking stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I really think sometimes that I must have no soul. Reading all your replies here it seems alot of you were moved. I didn't feel anything. Sure I know it's a sad story but I didn't feel emotional at all.
    When I was in Poland last year we planned to visit Auschwitz. Before I went and since I came back I've read loads of posts by boardsies who say they were very moved and saddened by the visit. I felt absolutely nothing while I was there. Don't get me wrong, I'm a compassionate person and understanding but I wasn't moved by these things.

I do feel emotional quite often but things which should have some effect on me just don't. I don't understand it. :(

I really think sometimes that I must have no soul. Reading all your replies here it seems alot of you were moved. I didn't feel anything. Sure I know it's a sad story but I didn't feel emotional at all.
    When I was in Poland last year we planned to visit Auschwitz. Before I went and since I came back I've read loads of posts by boardsies who say they were very moved and saddened by the visit. I felt absolutely nothing while I was there. Don't get me wrong, I'm a compassionate person and understanding but I wasn't moved by these things.

I do feel emotional quite often but things which should have some effect on me just don't. I don't understand it. :(
    Did a man with a red suit and horns offer you some wishes in return for something and you just agreed without knowing what he wanted in return?

• Advertisement
Advertisement