Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pixar does decent by a dying 10yr old girl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

I really think sometimes that I must have no soul. Reading all your replies here it seems alot of you were moved. I didn't feel anything. Sure I know it's a sad story but I didn't feel emotional at all.
    When I was in Poland last year we planned to visit Auschwitz. Before I went and since I came back I've read loads of posts by boardsies who say they were very moved and saddened by the visit. I felt absolutely nothing while I was there. Don't get me wrong, I'm a compassionate person and understanding but I wasn't moved by these things.

I do feel emotional quite often but things which should have some effect on me just don't. I don't understand it. :(

Its sad, but I think Im dead inside too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Quazzie wrote: »
    Did a man with a red suit and horns offer you some wishes in return for something and you just agreed without knowing what he wanted in return?

Not that I'm aware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

sounds like a great PR move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

sounds like a great PR move

Oh for f*ck's sake. Here we go again.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Knoxville banned for trolling and ignoring mod warning.
    If anyone else has issue with the moderation of this thread PM a mod or take it to Helpdesk. Any further discussion of moderation / crap thread spoiling jokes will result in a banning. Please PM me for clarification. If you post on this thread questioning a mod it will be deleted and you will be banned and pointed toward the help desk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I really think sometimes that I must have no soul. Reading all your replies here it seems alot of you were moved. I didn't feel anything. Sure I know it's a sad story but I didn't feel emotional at all.
    When I was in Poland last year we planned to visit Auschwitz. Before I went and since I came back I've read loads of posts by boardsies who say they were very moved and saddened by the visit. I felt absolutely nothing while I was there. Don't get me wrong, I'm a compassionate person and understanding but I wasn't moved by these things.

I do feel emotional quite often but things which should have some effect on me just don't. I don't understand it. :(

Dexter??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

In the midst of corporate America and their profit and loss system, its nice to know that if you actually get speaking to a human rather than a machine, you can actually get somewhere more effective. It shows that amid the machines of churning out profits, there is still decent humans out there with a heart to rise to the occasion.

Pixar might not want the publicity outwardly but someone in their corporate offices does deserve praise for arranging things for this young girl. Plane tickets, other transport costs, accommodation for the worker (who was given the daunting prospect of facing a dying child - not an easy thing to do) who also had to be paid (if he/she was? Many including I, would consider it a sin to be paid, to accept money to do such a duty - I'd consider it an honour to give a person their dying wish) so Pixar/someone deserves a big "thanks".

May the girl rest in peace. Amen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

Great story.

Reminds me somewhat of an anecdote about David Vetter (the boy in the bubble) who was born with a rare genetic diseas called severe combined immune deficiency syndrome which basically meant he had to live his entire life inside an artificial enviornment in order to survive.

He was a big Star Wars fan but seeing as he had to cart round a noisy and clunky life support system in order to just go outside his bedroom he could never practically get to see movies in a cinema. However, a few months before he died a special screening of the movie Return of the Jedi was arranged for him by a friend at a local cinema.

Anyway, thanks for linking the story OP.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Oh for f*ck's sake. Here we go again.

??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

Fair play to pixar, shame though that she wasn't able to get to see the film in cinema for the sake of a wheelchair.
    But great to see pixar responded so quickly when asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

+1

I wouldn't feel too down about your seeming lack of emotion towards what's conventionally supposed to make you emotional, you probably just view the world a bit differently to everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

It is nice to see a story where someone in this case a child got their dying wish. Not too many people get that opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Don't worry about it. You can't switch emotions on like a tap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

0ubliette wrote: »
    Oh STFU. This isnt a thread about corporate america and you shouldve been banned for your first post anyway.

back on topic: :(

Give him a break, he's entitled to his opinion.

I wasn't particularly moved by this story either. I read it and thought, "Ah cool, Pixar did a good deed" - but I wasn't in tears.

I think its very unfair the way people's emotions are being forced on to others here. I'm not cracking any jokes about the poor little girl's death or anything, but I'm not moved by it either. I'm sure if it was closer to home (i.e. a relative, friend etc) I might be. But I also get the impression that people here are saying they're so upset just to be seen as a 'good' person. As if you're some heartless monster if you're not moved by it... :confused:

And the warning of being banned for making smart remarks / wisecracks etc; I didn't see any of those being handed out in the Air France disaster thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

A "Wonderful Life" story ..got me all worked UP! now ..even more so that I have seen the film in question, the first 15 -20mins of which has a very pure emotional impact which mirrors this story of the Girl and her Dreams.

Pitty the film is not out in Ireland until Oct. ,,why so long after US?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

May the lord rest her poor little soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

you know, it's a very emotional story, and obviously your heart breaks for the poor girl and her family.

AH is a pretty cynical place sometimes, and that's great. Lots of people taking the piss out of subjects that are not important to them - which is a fair reflection on society as a whole really. But this is a good story to use to illustrate that people aren't all scammers and scumbags. Who among us, if we had gotten a call from that girl's mother, wouldn't have moved heaven and earth to do whatever we could to make the child happy? It's the same all over the world, people are constantly reaching out to people they don't know in millions of ways. People, in my experience anyway, are generally sound and it's a pity that the general idea - whether in the media or boards or the pub or whatever - is that anyone you don't know is out to fleece you and yours.

Haven't a clue what I'm trying to say really - hope she's at peace now anyway, and anyone who helped that should feel justifiably proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

tbh wrote: »
    People, in my experience anyway, are generally sound

I agree... It's one of the few 'philosophies', if ya like, that I subscribe to. If I'm feeling a bit cynical, or if I'm concerned about something like going to a certain place, I remind myself that most people are inherently good, and are after the same things: happiness, stability, family, friends, etc.

Some people, due to their environment or circumstances, are pushed in the opposite direction; some people are also just c*nts.

But most people are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Aww bless :(:(
    That's the saddest thing I've read in a while..bittersweet really.
    Glad she got to see the film, poor little mite is hopefully in a better place.
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

To the people saying it's good PR: to be honest, all a story like this does is spread the word around, and it's not like people didn't know about this film in advance.

We've seen already this year Pixar taking flak from US industry organisations for not being commercial enough, so I really doubt there's some evil ulterior motive in this.

Absolutely heartbreaking story, though, and I think it was very kind of the employee to take time off work to see her, and show her the film. And I think it's very typical of what I've seen of Pixar to let him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭D-Boy

Saddest thing ever.
    End of story.
    Poor little girl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

That's just heart breaking.... Very touching... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Its not about emotions. Its about respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

tbh wrote: »
    you know, it's a very emotional story, and obviously your heart breaks for the poor girl and her family.

AH is a pretty cynical place sometimes, and that's great. Lots of people taking the piss out of subjects that are not important to them - which is a fair reflection on society as a whole really. But this is a good story to use to illustrate that people aren't all scammers and scumbags. Who among us, if we had gotten a call from that girl's mother, wouldn't have moved heaven and earth to do whatever we could to make the child happy? It's the same all over the world, people are constantly reaching out to people they don't know in millions of ways. People, in my experience anyway, are generally sound and it's a pity that the general idea - whether in the media or boards or the pub or whatever - is that anyone you don't know is out to fleece you and yours.

Haven't a clue what I'm trying to say really - hope she's at peace now anyway, and anyone who helped that should feel justifiably proud.

I think I do.

Exactly what should be taken from this sorry tale, imo.

just checked the piratebay, its been up for a few months. she could have downloaded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

just checked the piratebay, its been up for a few months. she could have downloaded it.

I was thinking the same thing. obviously not a very tech savvy family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Double win for Pixar tbh,
    Really good PR and they gave a 10 year old kid their dying wish wish probably was the nicest thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Overheal wrote: »
    Now if that isn't the saddest thing you've read all week

It is very sad but it is also very heartening.

Thanks for posting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I think what PIXAR did was very nice and I feel bad that the little girl died.

But apart from that, I have absolutely no real emotional reaction. Is something wrong with me? :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm a bit the same, but I can vary. On another day I could've been bawling reading this but when I read it all I thought was "wow that was really decent of pixar". I suppose I can be a bit clinical at times, 10 year old kids die of illnesses every day so I didn't find this particularly sad. On the contrary, I found it to be quite uplifting as few kids would get their dying wish fulfilled. Also I thought it was quite sweet the way she seemed to be holding on just for that movie.

I kno what you mean about Auswitchz, where I was there everyone was bawling but for me it felt like a museum. Intellectually I knew what had happened there and knew how awful it was, but I couldn't relate to it emotionally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That was nice of Pixar, good person whoever organised it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Fair play to them, PR aside they could have easily snubbed it off with a million different excuses but they didn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Piste wrote: »
    I kno what you mean about Auswitchz, where I was there everyone was bawling but for me it felt like a museum. Intellectually I knew what had happened there and knew how awful it was, but I couldn't relate to it emotionally.

Yet, you'd probably cry your eyes out if you got a spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Overheal wrote: »
    Pixar officials declined to comment on the story or name the employees involved.
    Proper order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Yet, you'd probably cry your eyes out if you got a spot.

What a rediculous post. Piste like myself understands what happened there and how awful it was. I didn't find it moving but I can understand and appreciate the horrors that took place there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

what, im on page 3 and godwins law has been invoked already?! on this thread?!!!

very sad story. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Thanks for posting the story. It made my day seeing the traces of goodness in some people. It kind of makes you believe there is a bit of humanity left in some of the large corporations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Wow, what a story,incredibly sad, but well done to Pixar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

OMG! I just came from the Would you commit suicide? thread.

I'm in bits now.

Very, very sad story should come with a health warning!:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

The employee left after the movie, taking the DVD with him, Lynch said.

Miserable Bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

It was very hard on the family and I feel bad for them, I also feel good that pixar helped facilitate the poor little girls dying wish and maybe someway eased her transition into death. I have alot of respect for the company after this, the fact they refused to comment even moreso as they are not going looking for brownie points for it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

fair play to pixar. almost sounds like the girl waited to see the film before she gave up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

It is a very sad story and I expect most people would offer their condolences to the parents and family. Most of the thanks should be going to the individuals who carried this out and not directly to Pixar. However, it does reflect well on Pixar the quality of the people they have working for them. I understand how people get quite emotional over a story like this but for me there are far more tragic occurences out there every day that we don't hear about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

Very, very sad. But glad to hear her dying wish was granted. Poor little angel.

Jen ;->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    And I also doubt that the parents will want to watch Uo for many many years as it'll forever be associated with their daughter's last day.
    Similair true story: I was watching Cars (another Pixar film) once when I heard my sister screaming downstairs. That was the moment that I learned that my other sister had died. I can still tell you exactly what moment it was (it was during the tractor-tipping scene), as I had paused it and I ended up staring at the paused screen for about an hour.

I've not watched it since, but I'm not sure it's not due to the bad memory. I'm not a very emotional person so things like that don't get to me as much as they might get to others, but even so I don't relish the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Whether or not its a good PR move or not shouldnt really matter, the moving part for me was the little girl who held one for such a relativly insignificant thing (for us anyway)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

newmills wrote: »
    The employee left after the movie, taking the DVD with him, Lynch said.

Miserable Bastard

I know its AH, but this thread is not one for these kind of comments.
    That story was actually very sad & moving which is last thing you expect on AH i know, but it happened and has got a great response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Jesus that's just horrible. I can't believe the poor girl couldn't even see the film.

It's a tremendous gesture by Pixar and one I'm not in the least surprised by. Any features I've read all talk about how the same core group has been there for years, despite many of them being offered more lucrative positions elsewhere. They really do seem like a family and not like some huge corporation.

I'm just glad that the little girl was a little bit happier when she died. Still though, serious lump-in-the-throat stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

I wasn't particularly moved by this story either. I read it and thought, "Ah cool, Pixar did a good deed" - but I wasn't in tears.

I think its very unfair the way people's emotions are being forced on to others here. I'm not cracking any jokes about the poor little girl's death or anything, but I'm not moved by it either. I'm sure if it was closer to home (i.e. a relative, friend etc) I might be. But I also get the impression that people here are saying they're so upset just to be seen as a 'good' person. As if you're some heartless monster if you're not moved by it... :confused:

And the warning of being banned for making smart remarks / wisecracks etc; I didn't see any of those being handed out in the Air France disaster thread.
    one of the most pertinent posts ive seen on boards .the double standards are disgusting in here. i recognise half these user names from jade goody dying/ air france threads and they all took the piss.

heres my pun.
    i wonder did she watch it in "colby" surround sound.
    insert thanks in the box below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

You are missing the point, it was a little girls dying wish and it was granted by people who didn't know her.
    one of the most pertinent posts ive seen on boards .the double standards are disgusting in here. i recognise half these user names from jade goody dying/ air france threads and they all took the piss.

heres my pun.
    i wonder did she watch it in "colby" surround sound.
    insert thanks in the box below.

No Thanks.
    Wacker wrote: »
    Similair true story: I was watching Cars (another Pixar film) once when I heard my sister screaming downstairs. That was the moment that I learned that my other sister had died. I can still tell you exactly what moment it was (it was during the tractor-tipping scene), as I had paused it and I ended up staring at the paused screen for about an hour.

I've not watched it since, but I'm not sure it's not due to the bad memory. I'm not a very emotional person so things like that don't get to me as much as they might get to others, but even so I don't relish the idea.

That was awful for you, sorry that your sister died and god love your other sister who found her.:(

/don't know what else to say to you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement