Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pixar does decent by a dying 10yr old girl

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

newmills wrote: »
    The employee left after the movie, taking the DVD with him, Lynch said.
    Honestly now, they did go above (Up, even) and beyond the call of duty for the girl. Be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

pixar's new movie has just been announced, 'finding chemo'

banned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Rabies wrote: »
    banned
    double standards. you mods seem to pick and choose when you want ah to be serious. i didnt see you telling people to pipe down during the air france thread?? even though a poster's cousin was on the plane. that thread was wall to wall puns yet he gets banned for coming up with a pun of his own (an absolute gem i might add) .

what was the difference between the girls cousin on boards.ie who died in the ocean and this girl who died of cancer.

judging by your modding you value the little girls life more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

double standards. you mods seem to pick and choose when you want ah to be serious. i didnt see you telling people to pipe down during the air france thread?? even though a poster's cousin was on the plane. that thread was wall to wall puns yet he gets banned for coming up with a pun of his own (an absolute gem i might add) .

what was the difference between the girls cousin on boards.ie who died in the ocean and this girl who died of cancer.

Will there ever be a day where a half serious discussion about a topic like this can take place, without the usual Moral Compass Kommanders coming in and spoiling it with their bull**** rhetoric?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yet, you'd probably cry your eyes out if you got a spot.

What makes you think that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

all the hormones and clearasil, clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭well horse

Puddleduck wrote: »
    Its sad, but I think Im dead inside too.

Same here. :eek: I know it's a tragic story but I didn't well up or anything. Something's not right. It's brilliant that a little girl got her dying wish though!

all the hormones and clearasil, clearly.

Why would I cry when I have the magic powers of clearasil to keep me fresh faced and confident all day long? Especially seeing as their range caters for all types of skin and is available in all good pharmacies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭gwhiz

I really think sometimes that I must have no soul. Reading all your replies here it seems alot of you were moved. I didn't feel anything. Sure I know it's a sad story but I didn't feel emotional at all.
    When I was in Poland last year we planned to visit Auschwitz. Before I went and since I came back I've read loads of posts by boardsies who say they were very moved and saddened by the visit. I felt absolutely nothing while I was there. Don't get me wrong, I'm a compassionate person and understanding but I wasn't moved by these things.

I do feel emotional quite often but things which should have some effect on me just don't. I don't understand it. :(

Of course you have a soul... just because certain stories/situation do not move you does not make a cold person umemotional person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭well horse

Piste wrote: »
    Why would I cry when I have the magic powers of clearasil to keep me fresh faced and confident all day long? Especially seeing as their range caters for all types of skin and is available in all good pharmacies.

Clearisil strips all the oil off a persons skin and disrupts homeostasis. So the body produces more oil than usual to compensate. Excess oil gets into pores and increases chance of getting spots.

Extra oil on face => more spots => more face washing with clearisil :rolleyes: => clearisil makes money off the fact their products don't cure acne

....back on topic

• Advertisement

I was the first AH mod to the thread.
    With AH, if the thread tone gets destroyed or tainted at the start then you lose any chance of a proper discussion unless its nipped in the ass straight away.

I'll admit that the Air France thread should have been handled better by me (or us AH mods a whole). We let ourselves fall in to the 'ah sure its just AH' trap. I moved to stop that in this thread.

This thred isn't about my modding choice or actions. If you you'd like to take that up please do iva Help Desk or Feedback. I have no problem talking about it.

This thread is about what Pixar did for a terminally ill kid.

Rabies

This thread is about what Pixar did for a terminally ill kid.

Rabies
    dont give me that
    the airfrance thread was about a couple of hundred people plunging in to the ocean.i dont recall the o.p asking for the best pun to be posted.even mods were punning.

however because a mod in this thread( you ,in post #7) said that it upset him and anyone piss taking would be banned,everyone is virtuous all of a sudden.

subjective modding i feel.
    so if the mods in the air france thread piss take and pun........its carte blanche.
    you either have a forum charter or you dont.
    why would i bring it to help desk???????so you and me can talk one on one away from the masses.no thanks. i want everyone to see this. i already did go to helpdesk and got no where.the mods told me its ah and humour tasteless or not is par for the course

so heres my tuppence
    i hope colby goes to hell.
    just posting personal opinion.
    not abusing another poster.
    didnt use foul language.
    its just my opinion.
    nobody on here has professed to know or be related to colby.
    a person did profess to be related to one of the deceased on the air france but you all carried on and told her to feck off to the aviation thread.

well you can take your colby thread off to humanities.this is AH (i have been told ) and its humourous.dont ban people for taking the piss. YOU ACTIVELY ENCOURAGE IT IN EVERY OTHER THREAD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Dave! wrote: »
    Think I've got something in my eye.... :(

*cough* .. yeah... me too....

Fair play to pixar on this one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

You prick.

One of the few times AH actually throws up something thought provoking and yet the typical assholish comments come out.

I couldnt give a shiney sh1te if I get banned from here or not but you sir are a stain.

nedtheshed wrote: »
    You prick.

One of the few times AH actually throws up something thought provoking and yet the typical assholish comments come out.

I couldnt give a shiney sh1te if I get banned from here or not but you sir are a stain.
    i agree but im proving a point

dont give me that
    the airfrance thread was about a couple of hundred people plunging in to the ocean.i dont recall the o.p asking for the best pun to be posted.even mods were punning.

however because a mod in this thread( orestes i think) said that it upset him and anyone piss taking would be banned,everyone is virtuous all of a sudden.

subjective modding i feel.
    so if the mods in the air france thread piss take and pun........its carte blanche.
    you either have a forum charter or you dont.
    why would i bring it to help desk???????so you and me can talk one on one away from the masses.no thanks. i want everyone to see this. i already did go to helpdesk and got no where.the mods told me its ah and humour tasteless or not is par for the course

so heres my tuppence
    just posting personal opinion.
    not abusing another poster.
    didnt use foul language.
    its just my opinion.
    nobody on here has professed to know or be related to colby.
    a person did profess to be related to one of the deceased on the air france but you all caried on and told her to feck off to the aviation thread.

well you can take your colby thread off to humanities.this is AH (i have been told ) and its humourous.dont ban people for taking the piss. YOU ACTIVELY ENCOURAGE IT IN EVERY OTHER THREAD
    Your personal opinion on this; thats not tasteless humour or humour of any sort - its just being a wanker for the sake of it, to prove some ****ty point that isn't even relative to the topic. And yeah I may get banned, but I don't care -you are simply posting here to stir the **** like some sort of moral crusader.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Your personal opinion on this; thats not tasteless humour or humour of any sort - its just being a wanker for the sake of it, to prove some ****ty point that isn't even relative to the topic. And yeah I may get banned, but I don't care -you are simply posting here to stir the **** like some sort of moral crusader.
    i wonder did she watch it in colby surround sound.puntastic

i agree but im proving a point

And what point would that be?

That you can make light of a 10 year old little girl with more courage than you will ever have in your pitiful life dying?

Jesus you are brilliant.

Well done,really,well done.

i wonder did she watch it in colby surround sound.puntastic

You're hilarious. Did you ever hear the pun that has 4 letters and ends in "off"?

• Advertisement

And what point would that be?

That you can make light of a 10 year old little girl with more courage than you will ever have in your pitiful life dying?

Jesus you are brilliant.

Well done,really,well done.
    are you stupid??? i campaigned in helpdesk to have more seroius discussion in AH.i got shot down by all and sundry.
    jade goody died and was pilloried on here.
    couple of hundred people died in air france crash.........mass punning piss taking ensues? if i go trawling into either of those threads will i find a post from you in there calling for people to stop???? why the moral high ground with my post?

to quote what gets said on here every day " sure its after hours ,what dya expect?" . now off with you to humanities.by the way people related to me(one particularly close) died from cancer.so dont give me this courage bull****.she was probably afraid of the dark and tarantulas. she is not john mclane

DarkJager wrote: »
    You're hilarious. Did you ever hear the pun that has 4 letters and ends in "off"?
    aoff
    boff
    coff
    doff
    eoff
    foff
    goff
    hoff
    ioff
    joff
    koff
    loff
    moff
    noff
    ooff
    poff
    qoff
    roff
    soff
    toff
    uoff
    voff
    woff
    xoff
    yoff
    zoff
    4 letters ending in off. ive tried every letter in the alphabet and cant find the word your looking for. id say colby was better at charades then you too

^ to be honest I see his point. It's totally hypocritical to forbid anyone to make light of a ten year old girl dying yet allow jokes about Jade Goody and the Air France tragedy.

Either everything should be sacred, or nothing should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Very sad story. Fair play to Pixer

handsomecake has a fair point, I read a few pages of the Air France thread and just left it

Piste wrote: »
    ^ to be honest I see his point. It's totally hypocritical to forbid anyone to make light of a ten year old girl dying yet allow jokes about Jade Goody and the Air France tragedy.

Either everything should be sacred, or nothing should be.
    exactly my point. im not usually like this. im acting the arse hole to highlight the point. yeah the story was heart warming,yeah she was young,yeah she was innocent,yeah she had cancer which was not her fault.

people on boards could be related to a person from one or more of the following categories
    a rape victim
    an alcholic
    a drug addict
    a cancer patient
    a non nuclear family
    adopted
    disabled etc etcetc

people make light of all the above every day on here despite the fact it could(more then likely) upset readers. dont pick and choose which stories warrant respect or not. either have a forum(moral) charter or not.

i remember a story of a disabled boy. think his second name was baxter and his mother wanted to get him a grilfriend to sleep with him.and ye all took the piss.short memories on here

are you stupid??? i campaigned in helpdesk to have more seroius discussion in AH.i got shot down by all and sundry.
    jade goody died and was pilloried on here.
    couple of hundred people died in air france crash.........mass punning piss taking ensues? if i go trawling into either of those threads will i find a post from you in there calling for people to stop???? why the moral high ground with my post?

to quote what gets said on here every day " sure its after hours ,what dya expect?" . now off with you to humanities.by the way people related to me(one particularly close) died from cancer.so dont give me this courage bull****.she was probably afraid of the dark and tarantulas. she is not john mclane

So you have died from cancer eh?
    Like the little girl?
    Fair play to you been able to post then.
    I take my hat off to you.

You are contradicting yourself.You wanted more mature discussion in AH,complained about the piss taking in the other threads and yet you still make comments like "i hope she goes to hell"

Genuine empathy was been expressed in this thread,an AH mod stated on the first page,no bollixing,the same mod also held his hands up and said that the mods should have handled the air france thread differently but you still make comments like that.

To prove a fcuking point.

You are propogating exactly what you have complained about.

Threads like this are the reason I never post in AH or even bother reading any of the threads.

The thread name happened to catch my eye so I clicked on it but as per fcuking usual its descended into farce.

Just add yore ma in your next post,then it will be complete.

PS,John McClane,FFS,take your head out of your arse will you.

• Advertisement

So you have died from cancer eh?
    Like the little girl?
    Fair play to you been able to post then.
    I take my hat off to you.

You are contradicting yourself.You wanted more mature discussion in AH,complained about the piss taking in the other threads and yet you still make comments like "i hope she goes to hell"

Threads like this are the reason I never post in AH or even bother reading any of the threads.
    sound like YOUR contradicting yourself .
    and if you were here for the last 2 months or so you would feel the same as me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

OMG......my eyes are all watery now:(

and if you were here for the last 2 months or so you would feel the same as me

See below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Ah, 9 pages later and the thread has turned into the cesspit of sh1te AH is. Well done folks.

stepbar wrote: »
    Ah, 9 pages later and the thread has turned into the cesspit of sh1te AH is. Well done folks.
    cheers thanks:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 epik

This story strikes a chord with most of us, reminding us of our own childhood and when the simplest of things made us happy. A little girl who hung in there just to watch a cartoon... damn hayfever/chopping onions/face rain

I understand that some of ye are pissed off at the the fact that people made jokes about Jade Goody and Air France. **** it, I would be too, But I've not read those threads (I'm new here) Major disasters, well, we're just desensitised to 'em. Jade Goody, we saw her live and die in the media, privvy to all her highs and lows. The stupid things she said and how she turned it all around.
    Different story here though IMO. This is about a little girl who doesn't get to grow up, say stupid things, redeem herself and become desensitised like the rest of us. But at least her dying wish was granted. Not a make-a-wish-foundation see the grand canyon parachute onto a trampoline and bounce into outer space wish. Just a wish to see a cartoon. Granted. I hope that can in some small way offer some consolation to her parents.

epik wrote: »
    This story strikes a chord with most of us, reminding us of our own childhood and when the simplest of things made us happy. A little girl who hung in there just to watch a cartoon... damn hayfever/chopping onions/face rain

I understand that some of ye are pissed off at the the fact that people made jokes about Jade Goody and Air France. **** it, I would be too, But I've not read those threads (I'm new here) Major disasters, well, we're just desensitised to 'em. Jade Goody, we saw her live and die in the media, privvy to all her highs and lows. The stupid things she said and how she turned it all around.
    Different story here though IMO. This is about a little girl who doesn't get to grow up, say stupid things, redeem herself and become desensitised like the rest of us. But at least her dying wish was granted. Not a make-a-wish-foundation see the grand canyon parachute onto a trampoline and bounce into outer space wish. Just a wish to see a cartoon. Granted. I hope that can in some small way offer some consolation to her parents.
    and what about the parents of the 3 irish girls at the bottom of the atlantic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

It was already said on this thread by one of the moderators that that thread wasn't handled correctly.

How does this give you any excuse to try and drag this thread down with scumbag comments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

couldnt give a toss bout the rest of em cos their not irish is it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

handsomecake permanently banned.

Any comments/queries re this ban by PM/Help Desk/Feedback only.

What about the parents of ever other child that died too young? What about every other ****ing tragedy? This story isn't about them. This is about that 10 year old girl. Not that I don't feel sorry for the parents/loved ones of other tragedies, I'm just replying to the thread. I don't get you. Are you suggesting I don't care about any other story and my empathy is limited to this? Because it isn't. :(

I've already said the Air France thread wasn't handled right.

This is an AH mod learning from his mistake.

You complain when it handled wrong, when we try to do what you like people moan about us not being consistant.

*Sigh*

|o|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I've already said the Air France thread wasn't handled right.

This is an AH mod learning from his mistake.

You complain when it handled wrong, when we try to do what you like people moan about us not being consistant.

*Sigh*

|o|
    We're Irish. We have to complain. Makes us feel better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Epik, I dont think that tw@t did any thinking before he posted. I can see where you are coming from....It is so sad to see or hear of the death of a young child that hasnt yet experienced life yet. I normally avoid reading anything involving children dying, It just makes me so sad.

Things get out of hand quickly here then? ;)
    I must take a look at this Air France debacle...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

I'm actually with handsomecake on this one, you can't allow people to take the piss out of, for example - a serial rapist where 10 rape victims are involved and allow comments like this :
    whats the crime? a beautiful woman having sex with all these men..call the FBI

and similar with taking the piss out of a down syndrome boy, and allow a comment like this
    why doesn't she ride him...... I mean they're not related.

or this in a thread about suicide
    i secretly admire people who kill themselves.
    and then ban people for similar comments on this thread? If you allow it elsewhere, how are people supposed to know what is allowed and what is not?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

If people want to complain about AH modding go elsewhere. Life is about learning from mistakes people :mad:
    ( back on topic )
    Thats one of the saddest things ive ever read. We all give out about "the corporation" but its so nice to see there is some genuine good honest people still out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

To me this story is about what the parents did to give their dying child what she had asked for. In this case it was a movie that wasn't released yet and pixar helped out.

I had a cousin who died when she was 11. She loved animals. Her parents got her a dog, cat, ducks, a few others I can't remember.

They would have done anything to give her what she wanted, like the parents of this child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Oh noes. I has tears on my laptop.

Thanks Maddison,
    Also another cool Pixar related story on metafilter http://www.metafilter.com/72958/Wowe-Malthusian-Fear-Mongering-Can-Be-Annoying

Scroll down a bit to see it.... Its just cool.

Its the post that start with - Here's a true story about how awesome Pixar is.

Just for anyone who hasn't seen it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

kowloon wrote: »
    I think the fact that companies are made up of people, many of whom have moral codes, will prevent this from being twisted into a marketing stunt johnny. Most people won't capitalise on the death of a child.

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Overheal wrote: »
    http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pixar-up-movie-2468059-home-show

Now if that isn't the saddest thing you've read all week, you're a heartless inhuman bastard.

I think it's quite uplifting actually (not that the girl died, obv, but that she got to see her film.) She was very brave, can't imagine how scary that was for her. I feel sorry for her parents, too. But she got her 'happy ending' , in a way, fair play to Pixar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Really nice story.. Sad of course but to grant a little girls wish like that before she passes is heart warming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭D.R Adams

jape wrote: »
    I'm actually with handsomecake on this one?

Second that, you can't just pick on someone on one thread and then have a free for all on another, it really is petty.

Handsomecake to be re-instated i feel.

Advertisement