Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pixar does decent by a dying 10yr old girl

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

D.R Adams wrote: »
    Second that, you can't just pick on someone on one thread and then have a free for all on another, it really is petty.

Handsomecake to be re-instated i feel.

As I said when I banned him, take it to PM/Feedback/Help Desk.

nedtheshed wrote: »
    You prick.

One of the few times AH actually throws up something thought provoking and yet the typical assholish comments come out.

I couldnt give a shiney sh1te if I get banned from here or not but you sir are a stain.
    DarkJager wrote: »
    Your personal opinion on this; thats not tasteless humour or humour of any sort - its just being a wanker for the sake of it, to prove some ****ty point that isn't even relative to the topic. And yeah I may get banned, but I don't care -you are simply posting here to stir the **** like some sort of moral crusader.

Both banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭D.R Adams

@ javaboy regarding above banning.

Too little too late i think!

D.R Adams wrote: »
    @ javaboy regarding above banning.

Too little too late i think!

They were banned earlier (1:40 and 1:41 PM). I forgot to note it on thread but any mod or admin or the two posters themselves will be able to confirm that.

Btw I might not have been clear enough in my earlier warning to you. Comments/queries about a moderator decision are not to be raised on thread. PM a mod or post in Help Desk/Feedback rather than drag the thread off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Acacia wrote: »
    I think it's quite uplifting actually (not that the girl died, obv, but that she got to see her film.) She was very brave, can't imagine how scary that was for her. I feel sorry for her parents, too. But she got her 'happy ending' , in a way, fair play to Pixar.
    I didnt really want to say Bittersweet. There was a happy element in there but I think there was far more sad flying around. So I went with sad. Cos I know she got her wish, but its still really sad. sad? sad.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

I read this post today and said to myself I wasn't going to respond. But, to be honest, I bawled like a child after reading it...A poor child grasping on to life and her last wish to see a movie....thats actually beautiful..... Puts a lot of things into perspective.... innocence lost on tragedy....god bless her...thoughts and prayers are with that child tonight and cheers OP...sound for putting sense into a world full of confusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Overheal wrote: »
    I didnt really want to say Bittersweet. There was a happy element in there but I think there was far more sad flying around. So I went with sad. Cos I know she got her wish, but its still really sad. sad? sad.

It was both I reckon, the little girl got to listen to and see a movie through her mams words explaining what was on the screen.

A very close time for both don't you think.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

It was both I reckon, the little girl got to listen to and see a movie through her mams words explaining what was on the screen.

A very close time for both don't you think.:pac:

Sound, soo right man... moving to say the least.....a mam's love, ya can't beat it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I don't think this story is as sad as everyone else is making it out to be. It's sad that she died of course but it's nice that she got her dying wish. There are plenty of other dying children who don't get Pixar calling to them.

Have to say, I'm also one of those people who read that story and thought "That's nice of Pixar" but didn't feel any bit emotional.

*shrugs*

I don't look at it as sad though, not in it's entirety, it was an uplifting post by the OP and I thought it was a nice story to see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Have to say, I'm also one of those people who read that story and thought "That's nice of Pixar" but didn't feel any bit emotional.

*shrugs*

I guess you're just too young?

Maybe when you have kids....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I can understand if you didnt. But I mean I couldnt help put picture the scene of this little girl unable to even sit up and watch the movie she'd been fighting to keep herself alive to see, surrounded by all these stuffed pixar animals and about to die in just a few hours.

If for some reason you were unable to picture it I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Fair play to Pixar, not just for going out of their way to grant the girl's wish but the fact that they made no comment whatsoever on the situation is commendable. They could easily have turned it into a pat on the back but they did the decent thing and left it as just a good deed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

meh...

I think I've read, seen and heard at least 10 stories this week that are sadder than this, well last week if Sunday is the first day...

Nice one for the girl. Happy ending if anyhting for her!! Given the circumstances.

kudos to pixar..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It was very good of Pixar and lovely for the little girl, I didn't cry or get emotional at the story, but it was nice to read. The attitudes of some people in the thread is ridiculous though, they're actually being patronising to the people that didn't cry or feel sad. Everybody gets choked up by different things, and some people don't get emotionally involved with strangers. This isn't because they're dead inside or "Can't picture a situation" .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

jiltloop wrote: »
    Fair play to Pixar, not just for going out of their way to grant the girl's wish but the fact that they made no comment whatsoever on the situation is commendable. They could easily have turned it into a pat on the back but they did the decent thing and left it as just a good deed.

Yeah I'm sure they had absolutely no idea the story would make it into the news :rolleyes:

Yes it's a sad story but I think people are giving pixar too much credit, this was marketing gold for the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

jape wrote: »
    Yeah I'm sure they had absolutely no idea the story would make it into the news :rolleyes:

Yes it's a sad story but I think people are giving pixar too much credit, this was marketing gold for the movie.

MORALS>>>>>MARKETING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

phasers wrote: »
    It was very good of Pixar and lovely for the little girl, I didn't cry or get emotional at the story, but it was nice to read. The attitudes of some people in the thread is ridiculous though, they're actually being patronising to the people that didn't cry or feel sad. Everybody gets choked up by different things, and some people don't get emotionally involved with strangers. This isn't because they're dead inside or "Can't picture a situation" .

+1

I have to laugh when people play the 'you don't have kids, you wouldn't understand' card...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

That's nice. The girl got a play by play of the movie, and pixar get good credit with everyone. It's a win-win for everyone involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Ponster wrote: »
    I guess you're just too young?

Maybe when you have kids....

Too young? Is there some magical age you reach when you start bawling over a story on the internet and engage in a "I cried more than you did" pissing contest?

Maybe when you have kids....? Want to finish that sentence? Have any of your kids died at the age of 10 due to cancer? No? So stop acting like you have walked in their shoes and became the master of empathy because you have a kid.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I have a five year old daughter and if she wants to see a movie, I do try and bring her. The face on her is priceless when I tell her that we are going. She is not sick, and I hope she never will be, but a small gesture from someone else, is enough to expand someones heart. I always try and think back of when I was younger and the small simple things that made me smile. Getting a icepop, a teddy, anything and the feeling of excitement was immense.
    Now, imagine you are dying. Multiply those small little excitements by an uncomprehendable amount. I cant imagine what that poor child was feeling. To know that I can make my own child happy by bringing her to the cinema, is a feeling that is easily attained. That little girl got her dying wish, which was to see a film. A childrens film. Makes you realise how fucked up this world is, with greed and jealous running riot through peoples veins.
    I wish I could go back to a life where the small simple things made me happy. Im getting there. A hug from my daughter goes along way, a smile even more. The parents of the child no longer have either. If you can make other people smile, do it. Remember how easy it is. Well done Pixar, and marketing stunt or not (its not) I hold my hat to you, as you have made more children happy from your films, and given a child without life, the strength to carry on. RIP.

BlackWizard your post has been deleted. Please heed the warnings on this thread regarding trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

wonderful fabulous 10/10 pixar keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

look, fair play to Pixar and the individuals who made this happen, they did a good thing. I do think most people would go out of their way to help a dying girl get their last wish.

I don't really see why people are getting so sad and worked up about this story though. Young kids die everyday. Yeah, it's terrible, but do I cry everytime I hear about a young person dieing? No. Do I feel sad everytime I hear about a young person dieing? Maybe I feel sad for a moment, but then I move and continue on with my day and continue to be more concerned about things that are relevant to me.

At the end of the day, seemingly trivial stuff (who will start for the Lions on Saturday, will the weather be good tomorrow etc.) will mean more to me than some random person I never met dieing. Call me insensitive if you want, but it's the truth. I read the story, felt it was a nice thing for Pixar to do, felt a little sad for the girl and her family, and that's about it. I'm not going to lie, and say that I started bawling, or that this story will change my life and make me a better person.

For most people, this is the case. How can we all feel equally sorry for all the tragedies that occur in the world? Hundreds of people die in tragic circumstances everyday. It is impossible to feel sad for all these people, you would go insane and become clinically depressed if you did.

I do not think it is fair for jokes/puns/humour to be acceptable when talking about some occurences, but not others. Personally, I think AH is the place where jokes like these are 'acceptable'. You enter AH knowing that there is a slight possibility of reading jokes/comments you find offensive. If you want to make AH a more strict place, that's fine. I'm in favour of moderating, but it must clear what is acceptable and what is not. If making jokes others may find offensive is not against the rules, fine. If making jokes others may find offensive is against he rules, that's fine too. But it must be clear what is against the rules and what is not. Mods should not be allowed pick and choose what they feel is 'offensive' or 'against the rules'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    I do not think it is fair for jokes/puns/humour to be acceptable when talking about some occurences, but not others. Personally, I think AH is the place where jokes like these are 'acceptable'. You enter AH knowing that there is a slight possibility of reading jokes/comments you find offensive. If you want to make AH a more strict place, that's fine. I'm in favour of moderating, but it must clear what is acceptable and what is not. If making jokes others may find offensive is not against the rules, fine. If making jokes others may find offensive is against he rules, that's fine too. But it must be clear what is against the rules and what is not. Mods should not be allowed pick and choose what they feel is 'offensive' or 'against the rules'.

Listen, I mod Humour and it's Dorian Greyesque cousin Lolocaust. Believe me this thread was ripe for major piss-taking and no better buachaill to do it. But a call for compassion and decency was made by the mods and that had to be respected. Maybe it should be done more often, maybe it should never be done, I don't know, I don't have the answers but I do know there is a time a place for everthing and it was decreed that this was neither the time nor the place for muppetry. So we must repect that. Regardless of the motives of Pixar the child was the beneficiary and that was good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    l

I don't really see why people are getting so sad and worked up about this story though.

it's because it's a specific story. It's not about the girl, per se, it's more the fact that a specific story like this acts as a lightening rod for all the sympathy we feel for anyone who's less fortunate than ourselves, and in particular for the death of a child. The fact that the sorrow is intensified because a child is involved is just hardwired into us. The fact that we choose to block out the thoughts of all the kids who are dying every day - which, incidentally, isn't news to most people - is just human nature. Maybe a couple of people read this thread and threw a few quid to barretstown, so that more stories like this could happen for other kids. Maybe it just made a couple of people feel grateful for all they have. That's not a bad thing is it?

You wouldn't begrudge a few people that, would you, just to uphold your non-existent "right" to crack tasteless jokes whenever you felt like it? Is there not enough room on the internet for you to do that without coming intoo a thread where you were specifically asked to be respectful and pouring scorn all over the place?

Advertisement