Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parliament

Options
  • 19-06-2009 6:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

i was watching videos on europarl.tv

and at the end of one video a british person, some figure that was on the panel, stated that we should do away with the parliment

and revert back to the way it was before - people vote nationally and they go to the eu and meet in an asembly and work pretty much as before

he called it a ''30 year experiment'' - as the parliment gets more and more powers voting has decreased

thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

ireland lost one mep seat - as there was a euro wide reduction

under lisbon that is further reduced

does that mean in 2013/14 or the next election will there be a further reduction in mep seats for ireland?

where will loose a seat?

how does the veto work?

what areas is it currently in?

where will loose it or gain it if lisbon passes?

with the several useless locked thread that pushed actual threads down i am bumping this

i would still love if anyone could answer these

i know 5 posts seems excessive but hey..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

how does the veto work?

If you do a search of the forum before the last referendum you'll find some good posts on this.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

i was watching videos on europarl.tv

and at the end of one video a british person, some figure that was on the panel, stated that we should do away with the parliment

and revert back to the way it was before - people vote nationally and they go to the eu and meet in an asembly and work pretty much as before

he called it a ''30 year experiment'' - as the parliment gets more and more powers voting has decreased

thoughts?

the eu parliament is something of an in-between organization...it is not a proper parliament and it is more than just assembly of elected people as it was done before. calling it an 'experiment' is, i think, a disgrace, especially by someone in the parliament.
    under lisbon the powers of the parliament are increased so i would certainly go that way...but then some might argue that this way is a way of making an eu superstate...however i dont think so...its just a way forward...we cant be stuck in this in-between mode...

ireland lost one mep seat - as there was a euro wide reduction

under lisbon that is further reduced

does that mean in 2013/14 or the next election will there be a further reduction in mep seats for ireland?

where will loose a seat?

if lisbon passes? probably, yes. if a new country joins the eu? probably yes.
    but you gotta remember it is a fair way of representing, germany could really bitch about the system as it keeps them at 99 seats even though their population would actually give them much more. its designed to help small countries, who cant get less than 6 seats, and mostly medium sized countries.
    how does the veto work?

right now? i dont know...under lisbon? its in the treaty, i cant remember it right now but i think its the constitutional issues, defence and tax freedom that allow for a veto. the other areas need qualified majority-which is a really nice system

Advertisement