Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon D70s - Faulty Autofocus?

• 19-06-2009 7:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

I've picked up a faulty D70s, and I'm curious if anyone has come across this problem before?

Every feature on the camera works fine, apart from the autofocus.
    It will hunt, and find the object, but seems to focus just off the correct point.
    The camera has a manual focus viewfinder fitted, as the owner has been using it this way for awhile, and the results are spot on.

It's not the lense, as I've tried a few different ones, with no difference.

I'm aware - although I've never done it - that you can program some DSLRs to adjust the focus for different lenses, especially useful for long zooms.

If all else fails, I'm going to send it off to the Nikon Service Centre.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

AFAIK the d70 does not have the fine tune auto focus feature - sounds like the AF just needs to be calibrated, no big deal if that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

eas wrote: »
    .... sounds like the AF just needs to be calibrated, no big deal if that's it.

Any links, or is this too complicated for DIY?

TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Couple of possibilities come mind,

Dust on the Af sensors.
    The retrofitted screen is thicker or thinner than the original (depends on where AF sensors in optical path of d70)
    Finally theres a eccentric cam screw you can tweak on d70 which adjusts the mirror down rest position. If you search for D70 focus adjust screw theres a couple of visual guides on how to adjust it.

Edit> heres the link,
    D70 focus adjustment on leongoodmans site

Is it focussing reliably, but just with a front or back offset from the desired plane?

Advertisement