Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IE8 in office environment

• 19-06-2009 8:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi All,

has anyone tried running or heard of / experienced IE8 running in an office/company environment ?. We are doing an upgrade soon and I've been looking into it.. anything has to be better than that piece of crap IE6. would dearly love to use firefox but for the lack of group policy control. There are only a few banking apps etc that seem to depend on IE6 so these machines could be left with it

(on a side note, when will these financial app coders realise that the world has moved on a bit since 2001, standardisation is great but not when it forces the use of a creaking heap like IE6 :mad:).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Honestly, I think it's a bit early for IE8 deployment. Extreme example: NUIG only started upgrading to IE7 a few weeks ago! IE8 feels more sluggish than IE7, IMHO. Opening tabs seems to take an age over IE7. Would gladly settle for IE7 over IE8 if Firefox wasn't available.

There are some compatibility 'perks' with IE8 as well as it tries to finally become a standards-compliant browser. Best to see how your web apps work in IE7 and IE8 for you to make the best decision. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭stylers

I suppose it might be a bit early alright. I've been testing it a bit, and it seems a little sluggish on some pages, but the browser speed itself doesent appear too bad, it will be going on shiny new boxen anyway so shouldn't be a prob. there will only be a few apps that need IE6 (using digital certs, java etc) and these will be on stand alone boxes so these can stay with IE6. feck it, I've already had two reminders of why IE6 has to go - again more trojans - if it werent for the AV there'd be nothing left !.

so if normal websites seem ok, which they do then we might as well go for it. If we don't do it now, it might never get done. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

If you do deploy IE8, make sure to push the occasional updates to IE8's compatibility view through your Windows Update to improve the experience for users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭stylers

will also be setting up WSUS so hopefully it should take care of that..

Advertisement