Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax Visa Debit - fees for non-Euro transactions

Options
  • 19-06-2009 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

hey there

has anyone used this card in northern ireland or in the uk

im aware there is a service charge of 1.75% of the total transaction for using the card in either place.

what the helpline couldnt tell me was what the exchange rate would be, obviously it fluctuated but she wouldnt say that it would be the exchange rate on the day

im therefore wondering are there any built in extra charges when using this car in northern ireland

thinking about using it to purchase a car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Nope, not that I have seen. You'll probably want to let them know in advance about a large transaction like that coming in. Card exchange rates tend to be slightly different from the exchange rates you see published for cash, so it won't always be the same amount.

A good explanation lies here: http://www.elliott.org/the-troubleshooter/how-does-visas-exchange-rate/

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mac09

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Nope, not that I have seen. You'll probably want to let them know in advance about a large transaction like that coming in. Card exchange rates tend to be slightly different from the exchange rates you see published for cash, so it won't always be the same amount.

A good explanation lies here: http://www.elliott.org/the-troubleshooter/how-does-visas-exchange-rate/

thanks for that it was an interesting link

im concerned about the lack of clarity on the other end of the line when i ring halifax as they are unable to give me a straight answer to a straight question

TBH I can ever remember knowing what the exact Visa rate was at any given time in my banking days - after all, it's Visa that makes that part happen, not Halifax. I can't imagine their call centre folks would have that info either.

Visa has a converter on their site which might give you some idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

A currency exchange rate changes numerous times per day and as such it's nearly impossible to tell what rate you will get on a tx from an ATM machine. Obviously there is a margin built in in the form of profit for the bank but what the underlying rate is is anyones guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I have a Visa Card through PTSB and I was charged 1.75 % for a sterling transaction in Liverpool. Sneaky,sneaky:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I have a Visa Card through PTSB and I was charged 1.75 % for a sterling transaction in Liverpool. Sneaky,sneaky:mad:

Not really, If you read the T&C's it's all in there. Most people don't and take issue when it happens. I means the bank is a business for god sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 robydrupo

what about making medium or big payments with the halifax credit card? it is just a matter to tell them how much you'll pay, or there is a daily/monthly limit (I got to make payments of around 2000/2500 euro)? I tried to search this in their website but I couldn't find anything....

Do you mean purchases? Or payments off your bill?

It's always good to let your bank know if there is a large/unusual purchase coming up, or a series of purchases so that they don't think something is suspicious. There is no limit as to how many purchases you can make in a week/month really, once it's within your credit limit.

If you mean payments on to your card, you can make as many as you like. I don't think they'll mind ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

robydrupo wrote: »
    what about making medium or big payments with the halifax credit card? it is just a matter to tell them how much you'll pay, or there is a daily/monthly limit (I got to make payments of around 2000/2500 euro)? I tried to search this in their website but I couldn't find anything....

Im guessing you mean your paying a bill of €2000 and wondering can you do it with the debit card? Yes, once you have the funds in the account. Its not like taking out cash with a €600 limit.

Advertisement