Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CIT Fees Increase

• 19-06-2009 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Old news, sorry!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

What is the story with fees next year though?

Am I right in saying 1,500??

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ricochet69

some news for ye:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0713/education.html

hopefully they will tell batty boy where to stick it!

Ricochet69 wrote: »
    some news for ye:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0713/education.html

hopefully they will tell batty boy where to stick it!

It's July 14th, I'd have serious doubts of that happening between now and September.
    This would support my thinking; http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0701/fees.html

Increased registration fee I think, 1,500 euro or so. But no reintroduction of fees for this year.

And once I'm done with this year, they can charge students whatever the f**k they want for all I care :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Annie T

The registration fee is €1,500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 peapod260

is it seriously €1500?

i dont thinki can afford that...even after working all summer...:-O

• Advertisement

We've known it was going to be 1,500 for yonks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Thats the same standard amount in all colleges but thankfully unlike many universities we dont have to pay additional service levies for new buildings etc. I'm sure UCC students had to pay a large levy for years for the Mardyke Arena complex and that didn't even entitle them to use it for free.

1500 is a joke but i would be more worried what batt o'keeffe has in store later this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭yy885

i only know that the foreign student have to pay about 7000euro for a year in CIT...and we have to pay the second expensive college fee in the europe...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Still alot cheaper than most other OECD countries....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Thats the same standard amount in all colleges but thankfully unlike many universities we dont have to pay additional service levies for new buildings etc. I'm sure UCC students had to pay a large levy for years for the Mardyke Arena complex and that didn't even entitle them to use it for free.

2 of my friends go to UCC and i'm pretty sure they didn't have to pay any extra other than the registration charge last yr and got free membership to the Mardyke arena. I think it might be a different story this yr but thats how it has been before
    1500 is a joke but i would be more worried what batt o'keeffe has in store later this year.

Its going to be hard to get the money together for this. Hopefully I'll get the grant again but i'm not holding my breath

• Advertisement

suppafly wrote: »
    and got free membership to the Mardyke arena.

UCC added the cost of Mardyke Arena to the fees. It wasn't free. Everyone paid for a year's membership whether they wanted it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 steven_benny

I was in 1st year c.i.t last year and dropped out, I am goin back again this year and im just wondering will I have to pay fees? If so will I have to pay full fees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

UCC added the cost of Mardyke Arena to the fees. It wasn't free. Everyone paid for a year's membership whether they wanted it or not.
    Indeed, there is a levy and everyone seems to pay the cost even if not using it.
    I was in 1st year c.i.t last year and dropped out, I am goin back again this year and im just wondering will I have to pay fees? If so will I have to pay full fees?

I think you are okay as long as you drop out before Christmas but I could be wrong. Better off contacting them.

You will have to pay fess unless you dropped before October last year. The situation with fees is this; the Government pay for one attempt of each year. They've already paid for your first year attempt, and won't the second time.

Unless (there's always exceptions);

1. You dropped before October (could be November, not sure)

2. The level of the course is different. ie. You dropped out of a level 8 last year but are entering a level 7 this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 steven_benny

I dropped out in March and was told if I come back to C.I.T again and do a level 6/7 course again i might get in without having to pay fees . I got no grant last year from the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

All fees seem to be increasing. Heard somebody saying recently that fees for those with kids attending School of Music have gone through the roof this term. That's also under C.I.T..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

am i right in thinking you don't pay the fee if you qualify for the maintaince grant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

DK47 wrote: »
    am i right in thinking you don't pay the fee if you qualify for the maintaince grant?

Yep. I didn't have to pay a fee for the last 3 years. First year I had to pay the reg fee but you get reimbursed with your first grant installment.

Same with this year for me cos my application was a bit late. Will hate to give CIT €1500 quid but I'll get it back eventually

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Yep. I didn't have to pay a fee for the last 3 years. First year I had to pay the reg fee but you get reimbursed with your first grant installment.

Same with this year for me cos my application was a bit late. Will hate to give CIT €1500 quid but I'll get it back eventually

cheeres aaronh007, can you tell me what i need to do if i know i have been approved for the grant, i have been sent an invoice for the fees, i rand the admissions office, they said email the grants office, but no reply. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

How do I get this grant? Any link?Ta.

• Advertisement

DK47 wrote: »
    cheeres aaronh007, can you tell me what i need to do if i know i have been approved for the grant, i have been sent an invoice for the fees, i rand the admissions office, they said email the grants office, but no reply. :)

The grant people (local VEC) would send you out a form that you need to get stamped by the college. Then you send that back to your VEC and then just wait really.

You may need to pay the fees yourself but you will get that money back with your first installment

Nemanrio wrote: »
    How do I get this grant? Any link?Ta.

Send a €1.35 stamped self addressed A4 envelope to your local VEC

Just find your local VEC's address from here:

http://www.ivea.ie/committees_search.htm

and they will send you an application form to fill out.

You may not be entitled to a grant as it depends on your parents income. However, you may get your fees paid for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Send a €1.35 stamped self addressed A4 envelope to your local VEC

Just find your local VEC's address from here:

http://www.ivea.ie/committees_search.htm

and they will send you an application form to fill out.

You may not be entitled to a grant as it depends on your parents income. However, you may get your fees paid for you.

How do I know if i m entitled to the grant?

If you are under 23 then the grant will be subject to your parents income.

If you are 23 and over then it will be subject to your income.

The only way to see if you are eligible is to fill in the form. Only the VEC can tell you if you are eligible.

EDIT: Just found this on: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/third-level-education/fees-and-supports-for-third-level-education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses

All based on your parents income

No. of Dependent Children
    Full Maintenance
    75%
    50%
    25%
    Exemption from fees

Less than 4
    €41110
    €42235
    €44720----€47205
    €51380

4-7
    €45165
    €46415
    €49145----€51880
    €56460

8 or more
    €49050
    €50400
    €53360----€56320
    €61295

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I changed courses this year, so this is my second year at Cit but my first year in my new course.
    How much will I have to pay this year? The bank giro thing is coming in the post next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Fees are increasing and it's the middle classes are being squeezed from every side.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Nic'name

Johnnyjump wrote: »
    Fees are increasing and it's the middle classes are being squeezed from every side.

Totally agree....living out of home, totally broke, 26 NOT dependent on the parents however because I lived there last feckin October I supposedly am :(

Now I'm down 1500

Nic'name wrote: »
    Totally agree....living out of home, totally broke, 26 NOT dependent on the parents however because I lived there last feckin October I supposedly am :(

Now I'm down 1500

same as your self, 26 not dependent on parents, and i'm getting hit left right and center because i moved back in in July. :mad: I keep asking what constitutes dependent, and the answer i get is, you have the same address, your dependent. what crap :mad: ok, happy face on,:), first day of college tomorrow :D

Advertisement