Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Garmin Irish maps really bad?

Options
  • 19-06-2009 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

I have been using Tomtom for a few years now and find the Irish maps really good.

I got a Garmin system yesterday that came with 2008 maps that were really out of date so I got 2010 maps. Unfortunately the newer maps are very little improved - e.g. the new Dublin/Cork motorway through Tipp is not on it.

Any experience of this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I find them the opposite, really good and for where I use them there's a big difference between the 2010 and 2008 versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Garmin maps are excellent, ive updated from the 2008 to the latest and very happy with them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No.

...and if you need a GPS to help you with directions down a motorway then there are bigger issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

robinph wrote: »
    No.

...and if you need a GPS to help you with directions down a motorway then there are bigger issues.
    My point was that the latest maps don't have a motorway that was opened 6 or 8 months ago ;).

The feedback so far seems to be that the maps are quite good so I'll try not to get lost on the m/way :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

podge3 wrote: »
    My point was that the latest maps don't have a motorway that was opened 6 or 8 months ago ;).

The feedback so far seems to be that the maps are quite good so I'll try not to get lost on the m/way :)

Good luck to you finding a satnav that has maps showing roads opened only 6 months ago.

Navigon Freshmaps update each quarter but the map data is approx 2 quarters old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

parsi wrote: »
    Good luck to you finding a satnav that has maps showing roads opened only 6 months ago.

Navigon Freshmaps update each quarter but the map data is approx 2 quarters old.
    Tomtom has the motorway in question for at least the last 2 map updates. Igo also has it.

I'm not really concerned about one particular stretch of m/way but as 2 other map providers have it included for a while, I assumed that Garmin would also have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 TT Bone

I've updated to garmin 2010 and driving round dublin city centre its STILL trying to take me the wrong way down one way systems that hae been there years! Its a joke! The only thing is that they will EVENTUALLY get you where you want to go!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

podge3 wrote: »
    I have been using Tomtom for a few years now and find the Irish maps really good.

I got a Garmin system yesterday that came with 2008 maps that were really out of date so I got 2010 maps. Unfortunately the newer maps are very little improved - e.g. the new Dublin/Cork motorway through Tipp is not on it.

Any experience of this?

By what magic do envisage new roads get into SatNav maps? Think you'll find that the maps are were not out of date - just newly opened roads were not on them as is normal and explained here

As encouraged in the link above - you should report any map omissions, errors or updates needed. Garmin now has Numaps which allows you to update the mapping every 3 months from the web as long as your unit continues to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

I don't know if you're being purposely inane or if you really don't know what a satnav is for. If a satnav isn't aware of a road, it can't route along it... it's got nothing to do with finding your way along a road.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

TT Bone wrote: »
    I've updated to garmin 2010 and driving round dublin city centre its STILL trying to take me the wrong way down one way systems that hae been there years! Its a joke! The only thing is that they will EVENTUALLY get you where you want to go!:mad:

For changes like this TomTom Mapshare is the best. You can block/unblock streets.
    Change direction or make streetes one way
    Add, remove , edit or move POIs.
    Add /Remove rounabouts.
    Edit speed limits.
    All instantly changed on your device & shared with others when you connect to your PC.

No.

Not everyone knows every motorway. So what exactly would be the bigger issues?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

koolkid wrote: »
    Not everyone knows every motorway. So what exactly would be the bigger issues?:confused:
    Reading road signs?

There is no motorway in Ireland that goes anywhere complicated. It's all either north, south, east or west and if you don't know that kind of general location for where the motorway is taking you then there really is trouble with the geography taught in schools.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

And what about visitors. Should they not have the correct maps at thier disposal.?
    All roads have to be correct for GPS to work & calculate correctly.
    Dont honestly see how there is any issue here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

And what about visitors. Should they not have the correct maps at thier disposal.?
    All roads have to be correct for GPS to work & calculate correctly.
    Dont honestly see how there is any issue here.

A little understanding of how things work and some background information always helps - suggest you try get some of both - starting here.

It is difficult for those who come to navigation for the first time to understand that everything will never be perfect and some effort is always required by the "Navigator".... With traditional paper maps - the minute they are printed, they are out of date. The difference of course is that paper maps require some effort by the user to interpret and use. SatNav users are falling into the trap of believing that everything will be done for them and they just have to follow blindly. The link above refers to journey planning - the responsibility for getting there is on the user not the SatNav - a SatNav is an "aid to navigation" and not a "beam me up scotty" machine!!!

Perhaps this will help you answer your own questions....

I think you took me up wrong gary. I was referring to robinph who was sugessing if someone needs to use GPS on a motorway then they have bigger issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

My Goodmans satnav is pretty good, but gives up when going round st steven's green! If only I could tell it what streets are one way and it would change the route accordingly it would be perfect.

I think you took me up wrong gary. I was referring to robinph who was sugessing if someone needs to use GPS on a motorway then they have bigger issues.

...and I stand by that. If someone cannot find their way between Cork and Dublin for instance because there is gaps in the maps coverage of some motorways along the way then they really do need to learn to read road signs. Finding your way around the cities at either end is a different matter entirely though and I'm in total agreement that the most up to date maps possible will help out in finding your way around to where you want to get to. Getting between major population centres is not something that should really require much more than the ability to read road signs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

...and I stand by that. If someone cannot find their way between Cork and Dublin for instance because there is gaps in the maps coverage of some motorways along the way then they really do need to learn to read road signs. Finding your way around the cities at either end is a different matter entirely though and I'm in total agreement that the most up to date maps possible will help out in finding your way around to where you want to get to. Getting between major population centres is not something that should really require much more than the ability to read road signs though.
    yes the M50 can be tricky sometimes. took the wrong exit heading for maynooth and ended up having to to do a five mile detour. but yeah some people do go overboard with their garmans.

My Goodmans satnav is pretty good, but gives up when going round st steven's green! If only I could tell it what streets are one way and it would change the route accordingly it would be perfect.
    Thats where TomTom mapshare comes in handy.
    Again I ask what about visitors?
    What about if you dont know the motorway.
    Anyway it seems as if you are simply trying to be smart.
    A lot of people use sat nav, whether its on a motorway or not is regardless. If part of the map is incorrect then the device is not going to calculate correctly.
    If you are so good as to know your way around every motorway in Europe then fair play to you. The rest of us will struggle on with our SatNavs. If we see you on the road we will stop & ask you directions :rolleyes:

If you are so good as to know your way around every motorway in Europe then fair play to you. The rest of us will struggle on with our SatNavs. If we see you on the road we will stop & ask you directions :rolleyes:

I don't claim to know my way particularly well around anywhere. I do belive that navigating my way around a motorway/ interstate/ autobahn network is not something that is particuarly hard and merely requires a basic knowledge of the layout of the country you are in and an ability to read road signs.

I would struggle to get around the equivalent in the middle east or far east though, but that is just due to not being able to read the road signs in their scripts.

The OP was refering to a missing section of motorway between Dublin and Cork though and I was merely suggesting that that really should not be an issue for anyone. If you are driving along a motorway and there is a big blue sign ahead that says CORK straight on in front of you which is where you are heading, but your GPS is telling you to make a turn off down some smaller country road then which should you do?

Do you belive the road signs or the GPS?

You follow the road obviousally.
    But that does not take away from wanting the map corrected.
    Like you said there are languages you dont understand. There are also people in this country who would not be able to read english.
    So it they depend on their GPS device insted of road signs what exactly are the bigger issues they have.
    I use GPS on motorways all the time. It is also a tool which help me manage my time & judge arrival times. It will shortly be a tool to avoid road works & traffic. Do I have bigger issues also???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

What are the latest Garmin maps? I've got Cn Europe nt 2010.10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You already have the latest so.

MC

Advertisement