Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will a 3UK sim work in a 3 Irl Phone

• 19-06-2009 10:17am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does any one know if you can put a UK sim in to an Irish phone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Only if it's unlocked. As far as the phone is concerned the two networks are completely unrelated

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Only if it's unlocked. As far as the phone is concerned the two networks are completely unrelated

I assumed that was the case but though that the 3 from home thing might mean it was possible.

Not unlocked. Will have to give 3 a ring.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

kearnsr wrote: »
    I assumed that was the case but though that the 3 from home thing might mean it was possible.

Not unlocked. Will have to give 3 a ring.

I severely doubt it, tbh, effectively it's just a reduction in roaming costs with a fancy name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

SDooM wrote: »
    I severely doubt it, tbh, effectively it's just a reduction in roaming costs with a fancy name.

This is true. Afaik the way it works is the phone checks that the sim card number starts with 8935305, which is 3 IRL. The 3UK one would have a completely different number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If anyone has any suggestions for adding this to the unlocking section in the faq so it's clearer please drop me a pm.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

so does any one know the cheapest/best value deals in the UK?

I/m on a 3 contract here and wont be getting out of it any time soon and will need another phone over there

Advertisement