Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice places to eat in Dungarvan

Options
  • 19-06-2009 10:30am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What are some nice places to eat in Dungarvan?

Not necessarily looking for anything fancy - a bar menu is fine. Just wondering what places serve nice food (at good value!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

Merry's at the end of Main Street is lovely at the moment
    Got catch of the day and chips it was beautiful.
    think lunch is 12 to 4 then evening meals from 4 till 10??
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The Moorings, The Shamrock, Nude Food, Crews, are all good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Try Queallys, the Shamrock and theres another place, black in colour to the rear ot the Dunnes Stores place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 samantha2000

The Shamrock, and we love Tiffany's in the Plaza, gorgeous food and very friendly staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Hartyk87

The Shamrock is nice if your on you lunch from work etc.

Now if you want to impress somebody or go for a nice meal at night etc.

I would recomend the following:

The tannary
    Moorings (all in the same area with nice pubs close too)
    Crews

nude food
    Quealys
    Sea Palace chineese

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭deisebabe

For pub food I would go with merrys or the moorings. Both are nice with good value.

Shamrock is a small family restaurant - nice food and reasonable.

Avoid davitts and lawlors hotel. People have recommended lawlors since it was redecorated - the food is awful though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Merrys bar is lovely
    Bridgie Terries, is a bit far out, but again a lovely bite to eat in a rather nice pub

The Mill is quite nice too, a little expencive, but really nice

AVIOID Davvits and lawlors as a previous poster said, horrible food.

If your looking for a nice bag of chips....Mousies in abbeyside is also lovely!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Hartyk87

I have eaten in both davitts and lawlors hotel, and i think the food is beautiful in lawlors hotel, the portions are a decent size,

I would recomend it to anyone!!

The early bird menu is veru reasonably priced at €20 with a drink or a glass of wine!! u cant beat that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

flowers forest chinese----the best in ireland!!!

Lately I eat in Davitt's quite a bit as find the food there very well priced, very nice menu and the food is very good.

(btw, I saw Paul Flynn of the Tannery eat there with his family as well ;), the guy has to eat somewhere, I'm just sayin' thats all.)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

The Shamrock, and we love Tiffany's in the Plaza, gorgeous food and very friendly staff.

Tiffany's, the best place by a mile in Dungarvan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bluebell35

Yep Tiffany's is lovely and the staff are great, The Moorings is brilliant value and it would take three people to eat one of their dinners absolutely huge portions.

Lately I eat in Davitt's quite a bit as find the food there very well priced, very nice menu and the food is very good.

(btw, I saw Paul Flynn of the Tannery eat there with his family as well ;), the guy has to eat somewhere, I'm just sayin' thats all.)

Davvit's has has a whole revamp of their menu, and i i have to take back my previous comment, the food in there now is actually quite nice, and the portions are a reasonable size for the money!

Lawlor's again, i have to take the previous comment back, around december i had to attend a social in there, and i was amazed at the quality of the grub!

eeloe wrote: »
    Davvit's has has a whole revamp of their menu, and i i have to take back my previous comment, the food in there now is actually quite nice, and the portions are a reasonable size for the money!

Lawlor's again, i have to take the previous comment back, around december i had to attend a social in there, and i was amazed at the quality of the grub!

Lawlors is always a great place for grub. Much better than The Park where i think the food is often served cold, and you get little satisfaction is complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 peterwhilluk

Hi, the Italian chipper on the square is run of the mill, normal overpriced, food that you would expect. The quality of the burger meat is atrocious.no real quality.

The shamrock is bit of a Dungarvan institution, the food is quite good, the overblasting of it in the microwave before it comes out is off putting.

The blonde lady who runs it so tightly, it must be a terrible place to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

I dont like the shamrock because the blond lady owner stares down your throat when you are eating.

The sea Palace is a decent place to eat at. Its situated on the Quay.

The shamrock

Is too crapt. The person at the next table is nearly in your mouth.

the foods ok in there, irish folk seem to stuff any old crap into their bellies.
    the blonde lady runs a tight ship, bit to in your face.
    needs to back off, its like being watched by a hawk

the foods ok in there, irish folk seem to stuff any old crap into their bellies.
    the blonde lady runs a tight ship, bit to in your face.
    needs to back off, its like being watched by a hawk

Which blonde, the owner or the worker or maybe both.

its like being watched by Mussolini

• Advertisement

I think the Shamrock has very good food, good portion size, good menu and is very well priced. The tables may be a little crowded but judging by the trade they do they could fill more tables easily. Any time I'm there the staff are far too busy to be standing around staring at diners.

I just think the manageress should chill, be a bit less proactive.
    Get johnny out of the bookies and helping more.

Ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I think the Shamrock has very good food, good portion size, good menu and is very well priced. The tables may be a little crowded but judging by the trade they do they could fill more tables easily. Any time I'm there the staff are far too busy to be standing around staring at diners.

Have to agree with this. I wouldn't like to work for her but I never felt under pressure from her while eating there. I think what she is doing is maximising the tables available. I've been in there at times where there is a queue out the door and in these times you can't afford to turn people away.

Indeed Roanmore, unfortunately, some days, they can be quite in there, so it's nice to see the place packed, as they are keeping a few jobs in the town regardless!

good food in there, and i've never paid massive money in their also!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Don't know why anybody hasn't mentioned interlude on the quays yet, by far the best food and best value in Dungarvan. Service can be a bit slow, but worth the wait.

If its a take away a person wants, the only place they should go is Genoas.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    If its a take away a person wants, the only place they should go is Genoas.

:rolleyes: I'm biased i'm afraid!

Mousies, special offers, Meal of the Week(changes once weekly from one of the 12 meal deals) example

Steak Sandwich, Chips, Can of Coke 5euro....
    1/4 Pounder, Chip, Can of Coke...5 euro...you get the idea!

every friday, fish supper only 5 euro!

I'd be able to work out a bit of a deal for any boardsies if they were interested, i bet you'd never eat in Genoa's again!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

Mousies used to be great and still is good but since he used to own the shop across from Ben O Niels his food isnt as good as it used to be. I prefer Genoas since he closed the Chipper he had.

People should realise the poor quality of the fast food being served.
    Highest profit margins, with the poorest quality produce.

the meat in Genoas and Abrekadaras burgers are disgraceful.

Nude food, a wee bit more expensive, but the burgers are superb.

P

• Advertisement

The shamrock does nuke the food in the microwave a bit to heavily.

Advertisement