Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is good MPG?

• 19-06-2009 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Reading several threads and the issue of MPG came up. Some claim to get 50+ MPG Others a lot less. So I was wondering what is good MPG? Ok, I know the factors invovled like Make, model, driving style, engine size, petrol v diesel all matter. But taking combined driving, say half motorway half suburan driving, what would you consider good MPG.

EG My car, 2006 Mondeo 2.0TDCi hatchback. Do a lot of motorway driving to Dublin, I work beside the Red Cow interchange. I am currently getting 46.5mpg / 6.0l/100klm. Driving style would be keeping at the spped limit, I don't race off for a standing start. More a smooth style rather than race everywhere. Now I consider this good, as the most I ever got was 47mpg.

The other I noticed is that I used to get the cheap Applegreen / Tesco diesel and was running around 45MPG, I now us Topaz, usually form the same station (I wanted to see if it did improve the MPG) and It has increased to 46.5MPG, sometimes rising to 46.9MPG (waiting to hit the magic 47 mark again)

What do others think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Imo, anything over 40 is good, over 50 is great! Ive a c5 2l hdi (110) i normally drive it like I stole it and get about 45mpg. If i granny drive on long journeys I can get well over 50:rolleyes:

Having said that some of the guys here with big petrol lumps would think that 30 was excellent:D

just waiting for a vag/skoda driver to tell us that they won an f1 race in their car while carrying somalia in the boot and got 40000mpg.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

47MPG for a TDCi Mondeo sounds about right / good to me for that kind of driving.

My 190 bhp 1.6 turbo petrol has a lifetime average of 8.9 litre/100km → 32MPG under mainly normal driving conditions. I managed 6.7 litre/100km → 42MPG over the course of a full tank once but if trying i could easily make this jump to 12 litre/100km → 24 MPG.

As mentioned above, anything over 40 is good, 50 is great

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It will depend on the engine size, car size, car contents, fuel type, driving style, windows open, car service condition, traffic, etc.
    I'm satisfied with whatever I get (I don't calculate it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

kbannon wrote: »
    I don't calculate it!

I don't calculate it obsessively with log books and decimal points, but I do keep an eye on it: reset the trip meter and check it again at the next fill. A sudden drop in your mpg is something you probably need to check out.

The S-Max 2.0 diesel does 40-45 mpg, the Kangoo 1.2 petrol does about 36.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

lol, I fondly remember the days when I used to get 30mpg from my Octavia vRS.
    Currently 18mpg average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

jimbling wrote: »
    lol, I fondly remember the days when I used to get 30mpg from my Octavia vRS.
    Currently 18mpg average.

remapped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

used a 55 ltrs drivin 300km ! But what a drive hmmm seriously though, i drove a capri for over a year, struggled to do over 23mpg, then i built a 2.1 for it that saw that decline further ! I then had a 95 golf estate 1.4 petrol. It was doin well over 40mpg ..... That to me is excellent ! Im back now with a subaru legacy so its about 25mpg .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Templeogue to UCD ->30-35 in winter, 40-45 in summer.

Dundalk to Dublin - keeping at 100kph I managed over 60mpg with missus and kid in back.

Ive given up trying to compare my mpg with anyone elses. I think that unless they are driving the same routes with similar styles - you are always going to get varying results (plus an element of boasting always emerges)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

fabia sedan 1.4 68bhp petrol car

40 mpg combined
    49 mpg highway driving

I've a relaxed enough style and I'm only towing half of Somalia while doing this too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

kbannon wrote: »
    It will depend on the engine size, car size, car contents, fuel type, driving style, windows open, car service condition, traffic, etc.
    I'm satisfied with whatever I get (I don't calculate it!)

Same deal..........I just fill it when it needs it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Zube wrote: »
    I don't calculate it obsessively with log books and decimal points, but I do keep an eye on it: reset the trip meter and check it again at the next fill. A sudden drop in your mpg is something you probably need to check out.

I do :o

Almera 2.0 diesel '98

Lowest I've got in the last 14 months since I started checking was 40 MPG (Topaz), highest was just a couple of weeks ago, a run up from Wexford 53MPG(also Topaz). Driving style/route effects consumption way more than the company I buy the fuel in my experience.

I'm very happy with these figures, but will be moving to the 2.3 litre petrol Volvo in the next few months so I'm in for a shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My car, 2006 Mondeo 2.0TDCi hatchback. Do a lot of motorway driving to Dublin, I work beside the Red Cow interchange. I am currently getting 46.5mpg

Does that include regular traffic jams on the motorways? If so, that mileage is pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Up to Dub and back, including driving around inside Dub - 36 mpg, which is good for a 12 year old S40. And doing
    140-150
    when I could on the motorway.
    Going up again on Monday and will try to hypermile it and see if that changes mpg much.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Spiral Notebook

I get 54mpg doing about 3/4 motorway driving (sitting on 120kph) to 1/4 urban driving. Thats from a 1.4 d4d (diesel) 05 corrolla, obviously im not a boy racer/ thrill seeker with that car but economy wise it suits me fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Calculated 51 mpg on my work commute, 44 when having some fun ;)
    Alfa 1.9 jtdm

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'm getting around 7.6 l/100km on my Accord Petrol (37mpg) which is pretty good IMHO.

10k main N road, 45k M1 / M50, 5k urban roads.

Goes down when the M50 is bad for a few nights in the same week. Using Climate Control doesn't seem to effect the MPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

pred racer wrote: »
    Having said that some of the guys here with big petrol lumps would think that 30 was excellent:D

Over 30 would be excellent! It happens for me if the right hand lane hoggers are out on the motorways, 22 is about average these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

My MPG is something I've never really been all that bothered about. I've never calculated how much value (in fuel terms) I'm getting from my driving. 95% of my driving is done in Dublin city, with the other 5% constituting an odd trip down the country.

When I started driving I never envisaged that I'd be saving money in the process. All my money will go into the cars I buy, with the next one (hopefully) being faster than the previous one. Hopefully I'll be in such a position that I won't have to worry about the amount I spend on petrol, so any kind of MPG calculation for me would be a futile exercise!

But next time I fill her up I'll reset the trip meter and find out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Not really bothered about mpg here either, it's more about the driving experience for me. On the S Works, I get about 14 if I'm gunning it, or about 27 if I take it handy, and on the Rover I get about 30 if I'm gunning it (As if you ever could in this yoke), and about 45 if I have cruise on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

30-35 in a 1997 318 IS. Less when I'm enjoying the drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

unkel wrote: »
    Does that include regular traffic jams on the motorways? If so, that mileage is pretty good.

I would say more slow moving than jammed. The slowest part would be outside Coca Cola's old place, but even theat moves quick enough, say 20kph. I do stop off twice to drop kids and the OH.

edit: I am useing the car's trip display for the MPG, have done a quick check on it before and it seems fairly on the mark.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i drove from Dublin (Finglas) to Portumna a few weekends ago.
    4 lads in the car (inc me).
    boot fully loaded with bags and trays of beer.
    passenger cabin stuffed with a tray or 2 of beer too.

reset my computer before leaving, and for the drive down, pottering around portumna town for 2 days and the drive back, mainly keeping to speed limits but hitting
    130-140kmph
    on some stretches of motorway.

average when i got home was 44mpg

Car - Remapped 2005 BMW 320d Saloon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

My dad could get 59mpg out of a 110hp skoda octavia tdi on a motorway, but he drove like a priest in slippers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

8.5 l/100Km in a 1.4 turbo Bravo, i could probably squeeze a little more out if i wanted.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

20 - 25 in a 2.2 bmw 320ci

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

is that all you get in a 320i? I get 25 consistently in a 530i, mixed conditions but I'm hardly ever on a motorway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

bmwguy wrote: »
    is that all you get in a 320i? I get 25 consistently in a 530i, mixed conditions but I'm hardly ever on a motorway

mpg on all the 6 cyl bmws from 2.2 - 3.0 is similar, only thing that will affect it is whether its auto or manual

Mine is automatic. Thats good to know, I sometimes wish I had bought a 520i when I'm filling up my car. Good to hear it wouldnt have made a difference, plus i have the extra power when I need it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

remapped?

no, bought an M3.

The 18mpg wasn't a problem since I bought it, but I'm recently doing a lot more mileage so I'm noticing the petrol price rises with an ever lighter wallet :o

• Advertisement

Mine is automatic. Thats good to know, I sometimes wish I had bought a 520i when I'm filling up my car. Good to hear it wouldnt have made a difference, plus i have the extra power when I need it!

is it an e39 or e60, id reckon the e60 is better on fuel, i had an e39 530i and it was pretty thirsty, lovely car tho,

i have the newer 3.0 litre in a z4 coupe now and its much more frugal

jimbling wrote: »
    no, bought an M3.

The 18mpg wasn't a problem since I bought it, but I'm recently doing a lot more mileage so I'm noticing the petrol price rises with an ever lighter wallet :o

still miss mine :o

some car arent they jim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

My grandad bought a seat cordoba 1.4 TDI and gets about 58MPG (4.9 l/100km) on everyday town driving.

Mines e39 530 sport with auto and steptronic/sports box, drive it in normal auto all the time though. 25mpg is probably ok considering what it is

Mines e39 530 sport with auto and steptronic/sports box, drive it in normal auto all the time though. 25mpg is probably ok considering what it is

thats pretty good, i used to get less out of mine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I get 37.8 mpg average over 5000km on a 1.5 Almera.

Have gotten 54 mpg driving to Westport and back from Dun Laoghaire with a full car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's what I'm getting in my 525 auto, with a decent chunk of my driving in light-medium traffic. I was getting a steady 40MPg or so from my 320d, but the 5 series has cost a lot less in maintenance. I try not to think about it too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mcloran

My absolute record was 108 MPG :D 2.6 l/100km with a VW Lupo 1.2 Pdtdi
    (was no RHD version of this) 90-95 km average speed 22 C with windows up and 2 persons and no luggage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

What do others think?

It depends on your driving style, the car you drive and the driving conditions.
    My old Mercedes-Benz 190D 2.0 does on average about 50mpg. Between the last tank fillings she did over 51 mpg / 5.51 l/100km (mixed driving, but mostly on longer runs). I think it is very good for the early '80s technology and if you take into account its superb reliability (currently 190k miles), lack of depreciation, very low maintenance cost, etc. it makes it just about the cheapest car to run considering the size, weight and comfort.

Regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

Usually 40-42mpg in 1.5 Almera

Mainly driving on 80Km/h roads with some town/city driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭coolkidd

I drive a mondeo 2l tdci and when i drive it easy i get 47mpg and when i really give it welly i get 42mpg , simple as that really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A relative has a Megane 1.5 DCi having previously had a Focus 1.4 petrol.

Focus - 41 mpg average :)
    Megane - 63 mpg average :D

I notice a lot of talk in this thread about motorway driving, IME m-way driving has a negative effect on economy for cars with relatively small engines i.e. most cars on Irish roads. On motorways I would often drive at an indicated 130 km/h (~120 km/h true speed) and economy is about 25% worse than it is at an indicated 110 km/h.

Anyhow my overall economy is 43 mpg. 1.6 petrol Laguna with 205k miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I get around 6.0l/100km in a C5 1.6 110bhp (more than 1100km to a €65 tank). That's what I got in an 09 reg 08 spec C5. I've just taken delivery of the 09 spec version so it will be interesting to see how it compares to the 08 spec. It'll take a few thousand kms till the donkey loosens out a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I notice a lot of talk in this thread about motorway driving, IME m-way driving has a negative effect on economy for cars with relatively small engines i.e. most cars on Irish roads. On motorways I would often drive at an indicated 130 km/h (~120 km/h true speed) and economy is about 25% worse than it is at an indicated 110 km/h.

Anyhow my overall economy is 43 mpg. 1.6 petrol Laguna with 205k miles.
    I agree, I often see 60mpg+(indicated) on N roads but that would fall to 50-55mpg(indicated) for motorway driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

E46 325ci, getting 26mpg, guzzling, but feck it, wouldn't swap it for the world. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭vectra

ryanf1 wrote: »
    My grandad bought a seat cordoba 1.4 TDI and gets about 58MPG (4.9 l/100km) on everyday town driving.

:eek:

He must be pushing it around town..!!
    I have that exact car. ( 1.4 TDI Sport )
    did a run recently and was delighted to get an average of 50.66 ( Cork to Wexford for a week break)
    Filled it before leaving
    Filled it again at home 29.15 liters for 515 kilometers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

vectra wrote: »
    :eek:

He must be pushing it around town..!!
    I have that exact car. ( 1.4 TDI Sport )
    did a run recently and was delighted to get an average of 50.66 ( Cork to Wexford for a week break)
    Filled it before leaving
    Filled it again at home 29.15 liters for 515 kilometers.

That must be something to do with your driving style or driving conditions (heavy traffic, cold weather, driving on short distances, etc.). I get that kind of fuel economy in my 1993 2-litre Mercedes 190D (early '80 technology, over 300kkm on the clock, without turbo, without direct injection and all bells and whistles in the engine) and if driving gently, even a bit better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

Diesel 2.0 litre D4D Corolla van,
    58.6 miles per gallon, mixed motorway, dub city centre driving
    not really granny driving, just not using turbo in 1st 2nd 3rd or 4th gear, still 130 - 135 on motorway, and at the speed limit everywhere else...

SC024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Seweryn wrote: »
    That must be something to do with your driving style or driving conditions (heavy traffic, cold weather, driving on short distances, etc.)..

Well,
    I dont drive with slippers to to speak :D

But
    On that run I did take it a lot easier than normal. Now. Upon saying that, I had 3 adults and my 17 yr old son so I suppose you could say 4 adults.. The boot was stuffed to the hilt with Luggage,so much so that on 2 occasions i had to turn on Traction Control on steep uphill climbs as the wheels were only spinning all over the shop :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

22MPG on average with an E38, I put €97 in it exactly 3 weeks ago to the day so it doesn't bother me at all.
    If I was a commuter, I reckon i'd be quite bothered...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

I think once a car is doing something better than 30mpg it is grand.

I always empty my car to the fuel light and fill it to the brim. Since they raised the speed limits on commute I have dropped at least 5mpg! Doing 140km/h kills fuel economy. But I don't care!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement