Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is good MPG?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Currently have an IS200 02, getting 29/30MPG, used to have a 2.0 TDDI mondeo getting around the 46MPG, and a Skoka octavia 1.6L getting 36/37MPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

Bought s/h 99 corolla 1.3 petrol 3 yrs ago and checked mpg averaged over 4 months (summer). Mileage was C80% R road 16 mile commutes, C10% N road long trips & C10% local short trips. Average mpg was 48!

I was astonished by the results. My previous cars included petrol granada, omega and laguna. All returned C35-38mpg with similar driving pattern which I was very happy with.

I'm not a hard driver but always tend to cruise at the highest possible safe/legal speed.

Converting litre/gallon & km/mile is a pain but I still find mpg figures more meaningful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I'm getting about 26 -28 MPG in 2.0t saab 95. In fairness it is nearly all around town driving at rush hours but still, my driving style would be described as pedestrian :)

I've heard things like running the air con can account for about 5-10% of your fuel useage, any truth to that? I may just roll down the windows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

vectra wrote: »
    :eek:

He must be pushing it around town..!!
    I have that exact car. ( 1.4 TDI Sport )
    did a run recently and was delighted to get an average of 50.66 ( Cork to Wexford for a week break)
    Filled it before leaving
    Filled it again at home 29.15 liters for 515 kilometers.
    He gets 800km out of a tankful which as far as I know is about 40 litres. I suppose older people do tend to drive a bit easier alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

ryanf1 wrote: »
    He gets 800km out of a tankful which as far as I know is about 40 litres.

45 Litre tank ;)
    I would estimate it at 50 + MPG

Exactly what I get :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Boxtyeater

235 mile round trip to East Clare taking in Limerick city twice in Jaguar 2.0D SE Turbo driving according to speed limits - result 59.6 MPG.
    English import with trip computer so I guess it's right....happy though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Boxtyeater wrote: »
    235 mile round trip to East Clare taking in Limerick city twice in Jaguar 2.0D SE Turbo driving according to speed limits - result 59.6 MPG.
    English import with trip computer so I guess it's right....happy though :)

Is that the X type?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

On my 1990 BMW 735 auto I average between 25-28mpg, though that can sometimes rise, given the multitude of varying driving conditions etc. On a motorway cruise, I usually get up to the appropriate speed, gently, though not crawling, then almost let the car drive itself. Two tons of metal can build up a nice bit of momentum! But given the fluctuating price of petrol, it's something of a moot point, as filling my tank can vary by quite a bit, from earlier this year when it was 89c a litre to the present 1.15c.

The big killer is when I flick the "S" mode on the box and then watch the MPG indicator needle drop right off the scale. Great for overtaking though! My main criteria is Smiles Per Gallon, which is something you cant put a price on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

I get around 34mpg in my 1.8gdi s40 and i think that is very very impressive considering the way i drive. I always have the aircon on, i accelerate fairly hard and the Dublin-Mitchelstown commute takes me about an hour and a half late at night (when there is no traffic before anyone slaughters me) so i'll leave ye guess the weighting of my right foot.

If i drove like my parents i reckon i would have it over 40mpg nearly all the time which is fairly good for an 8 year old petrol engined car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

1999 bmw 318is...

i get between 35-40mph i suppose. had two 1.3 mirages previously which ATE petrol by comparison! i was delighted when i got back from shannon to carlow on 20 euro, which was what i had put in the punto sporting for the drive down.. if i drive the bmw hard it drops to between 30 and 35 i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Get 1250km for 60litres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

My Porsche 944 is about 27-32mpg on a journey.

Town is the worst at about 15-18mpg

I dont really mind as I dont use it all the time.

My daily hack Mondy TDDi Estate gets me about the same as everybody else 45mpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

968 3.0 Tip, about 23mpg, manual one about 26mpg. Drive the crap out of them and it gets worse.

Saab 9-3 150bhp, 38mpg.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

vectra wrote: »
    45 Litre tank ;)
    I would estimate it at 50 + MPG

Exactly what I get :cool:
    Around the time the beeper goes off you can get in about 40 litres? He never lets it go far below that and gets 800km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

About 10mpg if I'm lucky!!!

OP - Topaz supply the fuel to Tesco so it can't be any different!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

'02 Laguna 1.9 Diesel ST

Overall averaging 50.4mpg which I'm happy with.

Previous Golf GTI 8v managed to average about 34mpg over the same terrain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

jimbling wrote: »
    lol, I fondly remember the days when I used to get 30mpg from my Octavia vRS.
    Currently 18mpg average.

and I find my VRS thirsty,remind me never to go any bigger :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

sorry, I am compelled to correct my above post re: 968 Tip. (I can't believe I'm doing this, tbh).

Last Sat, topped up, drove to Mallow (via Cratloe, Co Clare), and then to Cork for a gig in the Marquee. Drove back to Mallow, overnighted, and back to Galway, Sunday. Monday, wife goes to Galway, commute, etc, and I took the car to work yesterday, and today.

Total miles covered: 288.6
    Total litres used (necked it Sat and this a.m.): 44.6

That's 29.3mpg !! :eek: :D:D

Don't you just love 3.0 cars.......:p :p:p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

2005 Ford Focus 1.4L Hatchback.
    Did 660KM with a littler over average of 40/MPG.

It all depends on what kind of driving im doing. Sometimes it can be as low as 36/MPG, but would be mostly around 38/MPG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

My 1.6 automatic scenic averages 30mpg but I can get 39mpg if I drive like I am 70.
    These figures are according to my computer though so could be a little off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

06 Leon 1.6. 55 litre tank gives ~600km or 34 mpg (usually from about 50 litres). I use the air con a lot so that probably makes a difference and usually have some files and crap in the boot.

Driving like a granny can creep it up to about 700km but this really does involve a 80km/h cruise on each journey.

I try to think of 40mpg as some sort of benchmark but to be honest I've given up even worrying about it no. Just fill it when it's quarter full and drive on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Passat TDi (130)

City/Town - 28MPG
    M1 - 46MPG (140-160kph)
    N4 - 54MPG (100kph)

I would be happy getting 42mpg or more on the N4. I don't think I'd like to be getting less unless I had a nice very powerful engine under the bonnet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement