Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7Mb broadband over 54Mbps wireless router

• 19-06-2009 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

I have signed up to upgrade my broadband from 3Mb to 7Mb, but my wireless router is 54Mbps.

Will my browsing speed be any quicker?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭awkward

7 > 3, so yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

awkward wrote: »
    7 > 3, so yes

It's the megabyte / megabit per second thing I don't understand. Still quicker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

You were on 3 Megabits per second. You have upgraded to 7 megabits per second. Over a 54 Mega bit per second wireless router, you can have a maximum speed of 54 Megabits per second, though you will only have 7 Megabits per second available to you.

Your average transfer rate will increase from approximately 384 kilobytes a second to approximately 896 kilobytes a second.

There are 8 bits in a byte. Connection speed is measured in bits, transfer rate is measured in bytes.

In a short answer, yes your browsing speed should increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Great! Thanks!

Your browsing speed will remain the same as it is dictated by your ping to the exchange, line latency and latency to your designated dns server, none of which have changed. Your transfer speed on the other hand will increase dependant on the bandwidth being available from the source of download.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

david7536 wrote: »
    Your browsing speed will remain the same as it is dictated by your ping to the exchange, line latency and latency to your designated dns server, none of which have changed. Your transfer speed on the other hand will increase dependant on the bandwidth being available from the source of download.

So by this argument dialup = broadband in terms of browsing :confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

FredH3as wrote: »
    So by this argument dialup = broadband in terms of browsing :confused:

No, broaband has a significantly better latency (ping) then dialup, so it would be faster. However typically going from 3mb/s to 7mb/s won't make much difference to normal web browsing, but will benefit things like downloads, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭brophis

Just to add what has been said about increasing browsing speed, another factor to consider is what browser you use. The latest generation of browsers offer a "faster" browsing experience in that they render the web pages on screen faster. Examples are the latest versions of Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Safari and even IE8. Personally I use Portable Firefox 3.5 RC1 from a RAM drive, it doesn't get much than that (no delays in caching files).

Browsing speed will not change a huge amount if any going from 3Mb to 7Mb. Websites that will potentially see an improvement are websites with high resolution pictures and streaming videos and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

The maximum real throughput you'll get over 54mbps wifi is about 30 megabits, you'll be using only 7 with your net connection.

The maximum real throughput you'll get over 54mbps wifi is about 30 megabits, you'll be using only 7 with your net connection.

But thats not what the op asked of course :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

I know, I just wanted to clarify that you'll never get 54mbps throughput on G Wifi.

Advertisement