Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheriff Street area

• 19-06-2009 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Any info on the above location would be appreciated. My reason for asking is that I have seen some really impressive and good value apartments in Spencer Dock. Have it in my mind that the area is a pretty rough and dodgy one though. Was wondering if this is the case or if Sheriff Street has undergone a transformation in recent years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

The docklands are a little different to Sheriff Street proper. They are pretty well separated AFAIK. Sheriff street hasn't really cahnged and I think there are armed police still there every night over a feud and there used to be helicopters too which would have effected the docks too.

The docks can seem desolate sometimes at the weekends but tends to be busy during the week. Pretty secure too so I wouldn't worry about that but walking down Abbey Street or by the quays at night wouldn't feel too safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Its not the niceist of area's to be honest.

Its the type of place where the Garda stop you at a checkpoint outside and if you don't have a weapon they give you one.

MY advice is unless you have to compelling reason to live there look elsewhere.

The Docklands I'd say would be different now but Sheriff street: avoid if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Welcome to urban redevelopment. All of the opinions given above, both positive and negative are absolutely correct.

You really have to go down there a good few times, hang out and figure out whether it suits you. Also, the site is critical. Another thing is that it depends on your worldview as much as the actual place. Most obviously, if you are 6 foot 3 and thirty years old and a bodybuilder, it probably won't seem desolate or intimidating at all. If you are a giggly 19 year old it might be pretty scary.

Also, the place is in a state of change. In particular, the Luas will change things. The new bridge across the Liffey will also make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

what do you mean by good value?

do you mean compared to prices in 2006/7?

can you show us an example of this value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,451 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OP, Over the last 2-3 years, I've been down there maybe 30-40 times, usually walking or cycling and while I'm sure I've seen a few odd bits, I've never had any hassle, except for inconsiderate motorists. While Luas C1 (an extension of the Red Line) and Dublin Bus route 151 are improving transport, the area still suffers from a high traffic levels, but no particular congestion. The Beckett Bridge may bring congestion to the Seville Place - Guild Street axis.
    hobochris wrote: »
    Its the type of place where the Garda stop you at a checkpoint outside and if you don't have a weapon they give you one.
    This is a gross exaggeration. While, sure there is an extened family involved in a violent dispute, it seems fairly restricted to them. It also seems to be restricted to a small posket in the Seville Place / Oriel Street area.
    ntlbell wrote: »
    what do you mean by good value?
    Surely thats for the OP to decide, he's just looking for information on the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Victor wrote: »

Surely thats for the OP to decide, he's just looking for information on the area.

It sure is and I'm interested in what he has decided.

hence my question.

Advertisement