Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aupair from Phillipines - is it advisable ?

Options
  • 19-06-2009 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi
    My sister-in-law needs to hire a nanny/aupair as she has to work fulltime.
    From looking at aupair websites, it seems that people from the Phillipines seem to be the most suitable i.e. willing to stay for 6 months or more, and are not too expensive.
    However there seems to be some issue with getting them a visa to work in this country ?
    Does anybody know if there are many obstacles to overcome wrt getting a visa ?
    Also, does anybody have any experience of having a Phillipino aupair working for them ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

You have very little chance of getting a work visa for someone from the philliipines, ditto malaysia, south africa etc etc.

The situation was more lax 10 years ago and I know someone who got a nanny from Malaysia back then and she is great and now a member of the family. However since then friends of ours tried the same agency to get a nanny from phillipines/malaysia and agency said there wasn't a chance. Now vast majority of nannies come from european countries only that do not need a visa. Usually they are paid higher rates, and in one sense, this is probably best because there is certainly an element of exploitation in getting someone who is being paid less than their equivalent contemporaries of a different nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭RacingSilver

Ok, thanks very much for your response.

Advertisement