Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 5 Certifications to Get...

Options
  • 19-06-2009 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Would be interested to hear what peoples thoughts are on this. From a job point of view and for future etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Why only 5?

and what area are you looking to get into? software developement? networking? DBA? support? Sys admin?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

hobochris wrote: »
    Why only 5?

and what area are you looking to get into? software developement? networking? DBA? support? Sys admin?

I dunno thought 5 was a nice number..And more what I could do short term..

I have MCSA,CCNA was wondering if someone knew of any list as I have seen elsewhere

Networking/Sys admin

Torn between doing citrix, MCITPS and Linux + at present..I'll always wind up doing some on all 3 and not really being able to use to job market advantage..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Vmware is rated very high and goes very well with any SAN Cert (EMC have a lot here)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Have a look here

http://certsandprogs.blogspot.com/2008/12/certification-salary-results-in.html

Highest earning certs in 2008 were

Brocade Certified SAN Designer
    Cisco Certified Internet Engineer
    ISACA Certified Information Security Manager
    EMC Proven Professional Technology Architect
    Open Group’s IT Architect Certification

• Registered Users Posts: 25 r3dh34d

Maybe hmm let see:

System adminsitration :
    Linux >> RHCA hard to get, few ppl have this. Very expensive.
    Virtualization >> VCDX - not too many ppl have this as well, 'cause first u have to pass VCP where training is mandatory and expensive
    Windows >> MSCE+SM/2008 many ppl have this one

Network administration :
    CCIE Sec/R&S + Checkpoint - long way to get it
    Other : CISSP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Thanks for all the replies....

Would just go for 70-630 and 70-631 in Sharepoint as well..The support side of things...Seems interesting..The other two exams are hard core developer..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

It also comes down to :
    What's realistically within your reach within the time frame you had in mind?
    What's actually in demand in your area (check the job boards)?
    What do you have an interest in? (you won't make it to the higher certs in something that you really couldn't care less about no matter how well it pays... You'll burnout first).

You can't really go by the various salary surveys out there either, they get less accurate the closer to entry level they go.. Besides the fact that a lot of folks inflate their numbers pretty much all of them don't allow for the fact that someone reporting 120K for a CCIE also has a CCNA on their list, so it also gets averaged in with the CCNA results when that is not accurate. (A good case in point is the MCDST listing at $63k, in the US it does vary by region but that would be more like 35K on it's own)

Advertisement