Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FETAC Level 5 Occupational First Aid Course

• 19-06-2009 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Okay folks as the title says a first aid course... I am organsing this for a few people in my own place and thought I might as well throw it open to all the boardies people....

Needless to say if your running a gym or coaching in a gym and you dont have a first aid cert you are, well to say the least irresponsible, and this in itself could lead to problems for you down the line..

The course is fully certified by FETAC and you will be on the skillsnet database as well, so it sweet to have even fro your own job outside of the aul MA world.

The instructor needs 8 people in a class in order for it to run. I am definitely going to run one for 2 full days on the 11th and 12th July. The venue will be terenure college. D6w

If there is enough demand I will also organise one for the 4th and 5th July. Same venue

Have a look on the net to check out the prices of this course. They range from €350 up to madness of €800 for this course. As the instructor is a mate of mine the course is going to cost €255 a person for the 2 days. this will include the exam fee and certificate fee as well. The instructor is also going to tailor the needs of the course to suit it to the common injuries in the MA world as well.

If you into it drop me a PM and i will get you bank details to put money into. Dont PM me and say I am half interested, i dont want to mess this lad around, I am only booking definites.

Once the 11th and 12th is full I will be sticking you down for the one the previous week...

Details of the course are below....

Participants: Any and all employees/workers

Aims & Objectives: To train and certify attendees as occupational first aiders

After this Occupational First Aid course participants should be able to:
    To increase the awareness of possible accidents
    To identify an accident that requires first aid treatment
    To apply first aid techniques
    To optimise performance and health in the workplace

Format and Timescale: 3 Day Course covering all aspects of Occupational First Aid. This can be organised and run at a time to suit the clients e.g. day, evenings, nights or weekends. It is a twenty four hour course.

Course Content: The Course covers the following:
    First Assessment , Accident Scene Management
    Administering First Aid for persons suffering from circulation problems, Wounds and Bleeding
    Administering First Aid for persons with respiratory problems, Asphyxia and introduction to Basic Life Support (B.L.S.)
    B.L.S.
    Administering First Aid for unconscious persons
    Administering first aid for fractures, sprains, strains and dislocations
    Administering first aid for burns and Scalds, Chemical/Poisons , Electric Shock
    Medical Emergencies
    Administering First Aid to person suffering from crush and spinal Injuries
    The use of an Automated Defibrillator (AED),
    Methodology: Course provided by lecture and presentation on the theory and methodology of Occupational First Aid.

This is followed up by practical demonstrations of the various treatment techniques by the Instructor and of participant lead exercises to ensure all students know and can enact the treatment techniques for any given first aid emergency.

All participants are assessed by an external examiner on the last day.

Cost:Course is a Maximum of 8 students
    All costs quoted based on this premise

Total Cost: € per course
    Cost per participant: €per person

Please note from September 1st 2008 all Occupational First Aid Courses are tied to a new Instructor:Pupil Ratio of 1:8. If you have in excess of 8 students it requires an extra instructor and therefore the cost would be the same as an additional course.

I hope this provides you with the information that you require but if you need any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lads, I can appricate that €255 seem's an awful lot of money at the moment but its truely worth every penny.

Read THIS THREAD that was shortly after I'd done the same course in work.

I've done a refresher course, and honestly lads - for €255 your going to learn a skill which can actually save a life, until that incident (posted above) I never full appricated how important this skill was.

If you can afford the time and the money get this course done. Also as its a FETAC Cert'ed course you can ask your club or employer if they would be interested in subsidising you at least some of the fee's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

folks just 2 more people needed and we have the 2 dates filled...any body else wanna jump on board?

thanks paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

To be a vaild FETAC course this must be run over three days not two.

Please report this to OFAAA http://www.ofaaa.ie with the instructors name so that they may be removed from the register.

http://www.ofaaa.ie/images/stories/HSA%20OFA%20Guidlines.pdf

Those wishing to become occupational first aiders must:-

(1) have achieved the FETAC Level 5 Component Certificate in Occupational First Aid, having successfully completed a training course in occupational first aid, presented over at least 3 days (or 24 hours training to include 2 hours assessment) from an OFAAA registered provider (instructor).

(2) have been assessed by another registered provider (instructor).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

You're very quick to jump to that conclusion. Maybe it was 2x12hr days?

Roper wrote: »
    You're very quick to jump to that conclusion. Maybe it was 2x12hr days?

The course can not be run over two days, no matter how long each day is.

This is due to the FETAC requirment.

If you follow the link and read page 14 you will see the requirment from the HSA. http://www.ofaaa.ie/images/stories/H...0Guidlines.pdf

This is the reason the course is cheaper then others, its not good value, its just not an approved course.

If members of this forum are paying for a course they need to know that they are been ripped off.

Please contact the HSA direct or their agent OFAAA http://www.ofaaa.ie

• Advertisement

We did this in the FAS/FAI course i did this year.....and it was run over TWO days :confused:

We did this in the FAS/FAI course i did this year.....and it was run over TWO days :confused:

Again you should contact the HSA agent http://www.ofaaa.ie with the details of the course and the Instructor.

It all comes down to cost, this is the reason some instructors are holding this course over two days. Each day costs them extra, in rent, wages etc. and they may only have two days available to hold the course.

The requirment is clear, 3 days or 24 hours over a number of days/weeks. If you did less then you didnt get the full course. Also is not approved, for work or if you are doing in for insurance in your business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

defib wrote: »
    The course can not be run over two days, no matter how long each day is.
    But you posted this:

(1) have achieved the FETAC Level 5 Component Certificate in Occupational First Aid, having successfully completed a training course in occupational first aid, presented over at least 3 days (or 24 hours training to include 2 hours assessment) from an OFAAA registered provider (instructor).

with the relevant bit in bold.

Again you should contact the HSA agent http://www.ofaaa.ie with the details of the course and the Instructor.

It all comes down to cost, this is the reason some instructors are holding this course over two days. Each day costs them extra, in rent, wages etc. and they may only have two days available to hold the course.

The requirement is clear, 3 days or 24 hours over a number of days/weeks. If you did less then you didnt get the full course. Also is not approved, for work or if you are doing in for insurance in your business.

I'm not sure maybe it was three days, but if it was it was just the exam on the 3rd day... it was at Xmas so a few months back but i initially taught two.

You say its ''not approved'' and ''you didn't get the full course'' but if i get my cert'(we didn't get them yet) then isn't that all i need, plus who's to know how many days it actually was?.... its not something I paid to do anyway nor will i ever use really(in my link of work, bar a freak accident) so I'm not too bothered either way, we just all had to do it round Xmas

I'm not sure maybe it was three days, but if it was it was just the exam on the 3rd day... it was at Xmas so a few months back but i initially taught two.

You say its ''not approved'' and ''you didn't get the full course'' but if i get my cert'(we didn't get them yet) then isn't that all i need, plus who's to know how many days it actually was?.... its not something I paid to do anyway nor will i ever use really(in my link of work, bar a freak accident) so I'm not too bothered either way, we just all had to do it round Xmas

Well someone paid for the course and this is a legal requirment in the workplace.

What I mean by approved is, the course didn't meet the standard required. A FETAC Occupational First Aid cert shouldn't be issued, and you also say you didn't get one yet.

I guess its a bit like buying a car and after you paid you didn't get the cert(log book, or whatever they call it now) and you didn't get the whole car as the wheels were missing.

You didn't do an approved/correct course. The CPR and the use of an AED(defibrillator)part of the course should take up most of one day if done correctly.

• Advertisement

Roper wrote: »
    But you posted this:

with the relevant bit in bold.

Yes but read the bit before it. ) OVER AT LEAST 3 DAYS

This is a requirment for the course to be approved, its not my version of it or what I think, its what is required. The CPR and the use of an AED(defibrillator) with asprin part of the course should take up most of one day if done correctly.

I know you posted about 12 hours x 2 days. I very much douth that anyone stayed awake during a course for a 12 hour day and then returned to do the same thing again.

If you read the course content posted in the first post by paddyc
    Format and Timescale: 3 Day Course covering all aspects of Occupational First Aid. This can be organised and run at a time to suit the clients e.g. day, evenings, nights or weekends. It is a twenty four hour course.

If you were on the course or know who the Instructor was please contact http://www.ofaaa.ie as this instructor will be removed from teaching.

Well someone paid for the course and this is a legal requirment in the workplace.

What I mean by approved is, the course didn't meet the standard required. A FETAC Occupational First Aid cert shouldn't be issued, and you also say you didn't get one yet.

I guess its a bit like buying a car and after you paid you didn't get the cert(log book, or whatever they call it now) and you didn't get the whole car as the wheels were missing.

You didn't do an approved/correct course. The CPR and the use of an AED(defibrillator)part of the course should take up most of one day if done correctly.

I just meant that we didnt recieve it(were getting all our certs in september).... it could well of been three days anyway(exam/mock on the third day), it was in FAS so i don't see why it wouldn't have been done by the books, just initially i taught it was two days we did.

Anyone able to give me the name of the Instrucotor of this two day course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

OMG did i say 2 days well thats an honest misprint it was 3 days for sure... I am sure if you ask anyone on the course they can confirm that defib

thanks for pointing out my mistake to me and thats for maintaining a high level of respect for the work that these tutors do.

paddy

paddyc wrote: »
    OMG did i say 2 days well thats an honest misprint it was 3 days for sure... I am sure if you ask anyone on the course they can confirm that defib

thanks for pointing out my mistake to me and thats for maintaining a high level of respect for the work that these tutors do.

paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭rose23

Im doing this course at the minute for FREE! Was advertised in the local paper...

12 people were meant to turn up and only four did.. absolutely disgraceful that they didnt even have the decency to cancel and give someone else a chance!!

Advertisement