Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lugnaquilla

Options
  • 19-06-2009 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am thinking of hiking Lugnaquilla this weekend. The weather iss given a cloudy but dry. Would visibility on the mountain be good?

What route do you recommend and how long should it take?

Also is gps, map and compass necessary? Not sure if I'd be able to understand them fully.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

K09 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am thinking of hiking Lugnaquilla this weekend. The weather iss given a cloudy but dry. Would visibility on the mountain be good?

What route do you recommend and how long should it take?

Also is gps, map and compass necessary? Not sure if I'd be able to understand them fully.

thanks.

I have to be honest here and say dont go near Lug if your not confident with your map reading skills !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

No need for a map if it's clear but definitly bring one just in case the weather is misty or anything.

Park at the ford in Glenmalure and follow track up to waterfall. at top of waterfall bear right up to the shoulder and then follow the ridge to the summit

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

No need for a map if it's clear but definitly bring one just in case the weather is misty or anything.

Not a very clever remark!

It is always necessary to carry a map, compass and be capable of using them - You may not need to call on them but you should have them with you.
    I'm Sure most hillwalkers are aware or have witnessed how quickly the weather can change in the mountains.
    The OP says He's not sure if he understands map reading/compass work fully, well up on Lug is not the best place to find that out!
    I would say Don't venture out on your own unless you're confident or being led, you may not need either but if you haven't been up there before how will you know if you're at the summit or not?!

Sorry, But you need a Map and be able to read the terrain.

CS

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

I thought there was a trail all the way up to the top?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ahaskmearse

If your not confident with a map and compass, have never climbed Lug or are not walking with an experienced walker whom is confident in said map/compass reading do not go near Lug.

I see too many call outs of M/R for inexperienced walkers on Lug.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

K09 wrote: »
    I thought there was a trail all the way up to the top?
    there is not a trail all the way to the top,
    really dont go near it without map skills, cheapskate is right, if you are into walking as a past-time then you should have the patience to go learn navigation and techniques with others on less demanding hills. (even if you personally think lug isnt that demanding maybe you just had a lucky day of weather, dont push someone elses luck)
    if you are into walking just to get fit then go somehwere else. the joy of hillwalking isnt just in the health benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree with everyone else here. You see, the problem is that in all probability 9 times out of 10 you'd be able to get up Lug no bother, there are a couple of relatively easy to follow routes up, and it isn't that difficult ON A NICE DAY when you can see clearly.

That'll (falsely) build up your confidence levels and then when you happen to go up one day when down below it's nice and clear and on top the cloud comes down and you can't see your hand in front of your face (which happens more often than you'd think) you'll get disoriented, head off back down in the wrong direction, fall off the edge into one of the prisons and become another statistic for the Glen of Imaal MRT.

The best thing if you're serious about getting out into the hills is to join a club of some sort, get a bit of experience and get your fitness levels up in all kinds of conditions and weathers, and do (as a minimum) the MS1 course (Mountain Skills) and preferably MS2 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

cheapskate wrote: »
    Not a very clever remark!

It is always necessary to carry a map, compass and be capable of using them - You may not need to call on them but you should have them with you.

Really???

I can't remember the last time I brought either a map or a compass out hiking with me... but that's just me personally. Have a map in the car for reference if needed beforehand.

Yes Really!!!

Sure I have done it also, but telling someone who isn't familiar with an area or is not too experienced that it is ok is 'not very Clever'

CS

coming down off Lug is the problem.
    it's not unkown for people to decend into the glenmalure by mistake, rather than the glen of imail, or ending up in the army firing range, don't forget the drops close to the summit)
    (I've done a couple of charity climbs of Lug, one was going down into the firing range, another in aid of the mountain rescue sent people on a wrong bearing)
    I've climbed lug maybe 70 or 80 times, in the snow, on my own, at night, all conditions, and know never to be complecent.
    Map and compass, and knowing how to use them, and suitable clothing at all times, are essential.
    I would agree than 9 out of 10 times, it's no problem, but there is always the possibility of error, bad weather, etc.

• Advertisement

coming down off Lug is the problem.
    it's not unkown for people to decend into the glenmalure by mistake, rather than the glen of imail, or ending up in the army firing range, don't forget the drops close to the summit)
    Exactly. I once came across two people wandering aimlessly around in the mist in the area of Slievemaan / Ballineddan, thinking they were returning back down the path they came up on over Camara Hill from Fenton's. They'd lost sight of their walking companions and drifted off a bit to the south, and basically hadn't a clue where they were.

In my experience, many people also come up either via the path from the Clohernagh / Corrigasleggaun direction or from Table / Camenabologue either in good weather or just blindly following someone else and don't notice that they had to take a bit of a turn on to the summit plateau to get to the summit cairn, since it's quite a gentle turn. Then, if the mist or cloud comes down while they're up there, they can't find the previously easy to spot track back down and end up again wandering aimlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

If anyone's cuppa tea is running hills then the Lug race is on this Sunday from the Fentons side. 5 nasty k up, 5 heavenly k down.

If anyone's cuppa tea is running hills then the Lug race is on this Sunday from the Fentons side. 5 nasty k up, 5 heavenly k down.
    I prefer to take my time and look around me personally, but it looks like you'll have good weather for it! Is it straight up and down Camara Hill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

if your not sure about walking lug bring your maps ,gps,etc and look at your watch some time during the day also a head light is handy.dont be gung ho about the place.
    i meet a couple at kellys lake at dark one winters eve they had noting with them no light feck all ,did not know where they were .
    i was culling deer in the area and and the landrover on carrawaystick .

i brought them back to the hotel in glenmalure.
    i think they got a fright when they seen how far away from a phone and a fire they were.

Alun wrote: »
    I prefer to take my time and look around me personally, but it looks like you'll have good weather for it! Is it straight up and down Camara Hill?

Yep. You have a point about being able to stop and admire the view!
    If its anything like Brockagh was in Laragh this evening the ground will be dry and springy and great for running or walking if thats your pleasure.
    And Fentons is a nice spot to relax after a jaunt in the mountains.

Any walkers out on Luq today? Ran the imra race up and down. Tough going in very warm but otherwise perfect bluesky conditions with dry (!!) underfoot conditions for the most part. A great event. Had to walk lots of the uphill but thems the breaks sometimes with tough climbs in hillrunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

so without starting a new thread....

We're planning on going up tomorrow. My friends been once before and said we'll be fine but having read this and some other threads, I'm having serious doubts.

We're fit but by no means experienced. The weather is great at the moment but you can never put your trust in Irish weather. In my mind, I'd hoped for a track we could go up and back down again but there doesn't seem to be such a convenient option.

Should I hold off until I'm more experienced or with folk who are or can anyone advise a wise route/plan for us.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭lab man

bc,

there is a kinda track from fentons bar when your near the top bring a couple of flags/ sticks with you as markers then you have markers for coming back down its not the hardest anyway, djouce is far nicer in my veiw
    happy / safe trekkin

Lm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

bc dub wrote: »
    so without starting a new thread....

We're planning on going up tomorrow. My friends been once before and said we'll be fine but having read this and some other threads, I'm having serious doubts.

We're fit but by no means experienced. The weather is great at the moment but you can never put your trust in Irish weather. In my mind, I'd hoped for a track we could go up and back down again but there doesn't seem to be such a convenient option.

Should I hold off until I'm more experienced or with folk who are or can anyone advise a wise route/plan for us.

Thanks

Being fit has very little to do with it. If you get lost in low cloud/mist being fit will not help you one bit.

The weather is ok at the moment and on a clear day it's easy to the top and back as you can see where your going but if you get caught out then what? Are you willing to take that chance?

The people that say its fine just go for it are not the ones to listen too. Anyone with outdoor experience will tell you a knowledge of map and compass is essential for a mountain like lug.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Dont go near the place if you dont have a map or compass, the weather rolls in very quickly on Lug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

Thanks all, mission postponed. Going to go for something a little more suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

There are 5 of us planning to climb it this saturday. is the best route from fentons pub. never did it before. we will have our phones for a compas and torchs just in case. any tips. how long will it take up and down?

There are 5 of us planning to climb it this saturday. is the best route from fentons pub. never did it before. we will have our phones for a compas and torchs just in case. any tips. how long will it take up and down?

How long? Probably dependent on the life of your phone battery :-)

Of course I suspect that you're pee taking just to stir up an old thread, but if not and you're going anyway, I'd allow 2 hours up and an hour down.

CS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I am not joking one bit and i am planning it. i cannot for the life of me find fentons pub on google maps anyone got the coordinates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

If your planning on doing lug then at leas have a map and a propper compass. Hiking lug with your phone as a compass is a bit shortsighted. For one phones run on batteries which die quite rapidly in cold conditions when being used. Buy one in an outdoors shop for less than a tenner. Secondly there are a number of routes up lug from the army range side and the youth hostel on the northern side. Go onto wicklow walks and find one that suites you and your group. Timing is important this time of year if you havent started your climb by noon dont go as getting caught up there in the dark is not nice. Conditions can be unpradictable at best. Cloud can come in very quickly and navigational skills are very much needed so a proper compass and an ordanance survey quality map of the area is essential. If you dont already own a compass ill take a guess that you dont very often go hiking so maybe a trip somewhere less difficult for a bit of nav refreshing whouldnt go astray. There are lots of waymarked routes with plenty of difficult inclines in the glendalough park area as mentioned before on this thread i would advise these trails first before lug.

Can i just ad that lug may seem like a cakewalk talking about it but if mother nature conspires against you then your knackered. Failure to plan is planning to fail. I only say so because of the amount of people who sometimes venture into the hills wofully unprepared and end up lost injured or both and having to be pulled of the mountain by search and rescue. Er on the side of caution. I cut a short hike even shorter last saturday on a mountain less than a mile of a main road due to poor conditions rather than risk injury or worse and i advise you to do the same as no offence you sound a little unprepared

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Coordinates for Fentons are S97315 93568.
    The route is by a relatively straightforward track most of the way which unfortunately disappears near the top when you need it most.
    The summit cairn can be difficult to find in poor visibility (which is nearly always), so be very careful towards the top.

The summit of Lugnaquilla acts like a kind of cloud magnet even on otherwise fine days, and given it takes around 2 hrs to reach the summit from Fentons, conditions at the top can often be very different to those when you set off, even if the top is clear at that time. What catches most people out is that the summit plateau is very flat and featureless, and even if it's clear when you reach it, if you sit down for half an hour for a sandwich or two, the mist can come in and disorient you. It's very easy then, unless you know what bearing to take, to wander off in completely the wrong direction, as many do every year. Just look at the MRT callout history ... "Called out to rescue walkers who had become disoriented on Lug" or words to that effect crop up with great regularity.

As Loobylou says, there is a well trodden path almost to the top, only about 500m short of the summit cairn in fact, but you can't see it from there even when clear as there's a very slight climb left to go before you reach the plateau proper, but in the mist, believe me, you can be wandering around only 50m from it and not even see it.

Advertisement