Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Article: Silence descends on Dail as TDs are left speechless

Options
  • 19-06-2009 11:54am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Silence descends on Dail as TDs are left speechless
    By Aine Kerr and Patricia McDonagh

Friday June 19 2009

THE Dail shut down for more than three hours yesterday because TDs quite literally ran out of things to talk about.

As the Taoiseach was locked in make-or-break talks in Brussels on the Lisbon Treaty, back home an extraordinary afternoon of silence came about in the Dail chamber.

Instead of discussing bills until after 5pm, the TDs were done talking by 1.30pm, and were left speechless.

The Dail had been hearing a debate on the Broadcasting Bill and Companies Amendment Bill, but after realising there were no more contributions, TDs made an embarrassed exit and the TV monitors went blank.

The opposition blamed the Government for the mess, saying it had not organised the time properly. The Government blamed the opposition for not providing enough politicians to speak.

Only one junior minister, Billy Kelleher, two opposition spokespeople and two Fianna Fail backbenchers grabbed the opportunity to speak.

Business was adjourned until Communications Minister Eamon Ryan and opposition speakers could be organised to start a 5.30pm question time at the earlier hour of 4.45pm.

Last night, as politicians continued to shake their heads in despair at the dead air time, Labour's Joan Burton claimed the Government's organisational capabilities were "farcical".

Next week, given the imminent summer recess, there will be more legislation to process but not enough speaking time.

Seven pieces of legislation are set to be guillotined from Tuesday onwards -- rushed through the Dail without extensive and prolonged debate.

"To be perfectly honest, the organisation of the business of the House has reached ludicrous proportions," Ms Burton said.

But, the Party's education spokesman Ruairi Quinn said business was not "organised" by the Government, but simply "arranged".

Last night, the Government chief whip Pat Carey insisted he and the Government were attempting to get business concluded efficiently.

"We have given more than enough time to the opposition. We will continue to do that in the coming weeks," he said.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/silence-descends--on-dail-as-tds-are--left-speechless-1779400.html

Was there really *nothing* that they could have discussed? I was under the belief that we were facing economic turmoil, job losses, etc. but obviously not!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Never mind, they will still get paid for not being there! :rolleyes:

:mad: Useless gits!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I thought they had to stick to the timetable of discussion and anything outside of that was not permitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Sully wrote: »
    I thought they had to stick to the timetable of discussion and anything outside of that was not permitted?
    AFAIK they do.

I think they expected that they would have more to say, and then suddenly everyone had said their piece, and there was loads of time left over.

Both bills are very complicated so there should have been a long debate on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

kbannon wrote: »
    Silence descends on Dail as TDs are left speechless

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/silence-descends--on-dail-as-tds-are--left-speechless-1779400.html

Was there really *nothing* that they could have discussed? I was under the belief that we were facing economic turmoil, job losses, etc. but obviously not!

Yeah, we do but they don't so why not take the afternoon off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

I heard them say on the news that the polticians had nothing to say. That's strange that's never stopped them before........

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What the difference between the Dail and a condom?

Both make sure nothing happens while your being screwed!

Biggins wrote: »
    !

Nothing much, quiet similar actually.

They are both homes to pricks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

NoDrama wrote: »
    Nothing much, quiet similar actually.

They are both homes to pricks!!!

And cost way too much money than their worth....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Biggins wrote: »

One is full of pricks, the other is a prophylactic?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Is it not up to both sides of the house to table discussion and for the Oireachtas (Admin) to schedule the debate.

How could they have run out of things to talk about on these 2 bills...I could have ranted about DTV for the Broadcasting Bill and restrictions and laxaties in relation to the Companies (Amendment) Bill.

For **** sake....I despair!

• Advertisement
Advertisement