Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeBook nice alternative Sony eBook reader

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭chabsey

Denisoftus wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    just bought this nice device on http://www.mybebook.com, they deliver to Europe for 9.95 only. Used "bebook@mail.ru" coupone code to get €25 off the price. So the final amount was €273.00.
    Why is it better then Sony? Read here http://mybebook.com/p15/BeBook-vs-Amazon-Kindle-and-Sony-ereader/pages.html

Looking forward to getting the one.

Not sure about this one. The first two reasons given as reasons to buy it over the Sony one are strange.

Firstly it's available everywhere....the Sony reader is available everywhere, or more importantly it's available here.

Secondly the price? My Sony cost 190 euros (in the US) but they're 250 in the shops here. So, the BeBook works out 20 quid more.

Thirdly...any book type. I've yet to load a book type onto my Sony reader that it fails to read, have never once used the Sony shop.

The only thing is wifi but i don't know if the BeBook has that, although it says it does. Personally for the 20 quid more, I can live with plugging in my reader whenever I need a new book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Using Calibre with the sony reader for the last few months and I haven't come across any ebook that i couldn't load or convert.

Really can't see any reason so far anyone would pay extra for the bebook, if it was alot cheaper maybe but as it is.....

Using Calibre with the sony reader for the last few months and I haven't come across any ebook that i couldn't load or convert.

Really can't see any reason so far anyone would pay extra for the bebook, if it was alot cheaper maybe but as it is.....

Exactly, calibre is a must, if you're stuck using the bundled Sony software then you'd welcome a BeBook because that's a seriously turdular piece of code.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Also, you're likely to be crucified for customs on that BeBook - presuming they ship from outside Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

The whole ebook reader thing is ridiculous. Be smart and just buy a netbook and read pdfs on it. Thats the most widely used free format available. Plus there's thousands of books available, most without DRM. There's a new format called epub that is also free, most pdf reader software can read those already. The other advantage is you can do a lot more with a netbook.

• Advertisement

Oracle wrote: »
    ...The other advantage is you can do a lot more with a netbook.

Like get a headache from reading for any length of time? Maybe you don't, in which case you're lucky but I can't read a computer screen for the same length of time I'd read a book - eye strain and headaches ensue.

In fact this is a very common problem and is part of the reason e-ink was developed to reproduce as closely as currently possible the 'look' of a page of a book. Those refreshes are hurting your brain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

chabsey wrote: »
    Like get a headache from reading for any length of time? Maybe you don't, in which case you're lucky but I can't read a computer screen for the same length of time I'd read a book - eye strain and headaches ensue.

In fact this is a very common problem and is part of the reason e-ink was developed to reproduce as closely as currently possible the 'look' of a page of a book. Those refreshes are hurting your brain!

Absolutely. Trying to use a netbook to read a novel or the like is inviting a head-ache. I was dubious about ebooks as well until I tried one and I ended up buying a cybook two years ago and still getting great value out of it.

Theres a lot of good info on ebooks on this site

http://www.mobileread.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

basquille wrote: »
    Also, you're likely to be crucified for customs on that BeBook - presuming they ship from outside Europe!

It's coming from Netherlands, so I won't be hit by tax.
    I agree with Chabsey points, but I have read about Sony and found many posts with problems. Can't say which is the better one, but when I get it I'll go to my friend who's got a Sony and compare. Will keep you posted guys.

Regards, Denis

Advertisement