Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive electricity bill, advice please!

Options
  • 19-06-2009 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Would anyone have any idea what might be going on here? I'm totally at a loss so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in the UK at the moment and have just received a massive bill for a flat that I moved into 3 months ago.

In a previous flat (around the same size, small one bedroom), electricity usage tended to be no more than 5 units per day on average with the same usage pattern and the same supplier.

The first bill for the new place indicates a whopping 15 units per day. That's £200 for 3 months, more than triple what I would have expected.

I'm totally confused by this because as far as I am concerned my consumption patterns haven't changed at all. Heating and water are gas and there are no electric heaters of any kind here. There isn't even a television.

I have been looking carefully at all the appliances I can and nothing really explains what could have happened. Daily readings over the past few days indicate around 5 units per day as I would expect.

My only theory is that perhaps halogen spotlights in the kitchen may be to blame. There are around 9 50W lights in total. Now these are rarely all used at the same time. But I worked out that if all 9 were on for 4 hours a day over that period, that accounts for say 3 units as a very generous estimate.

This doesn't explain the massive jump. The transformers for these lights do hum loudly and sometimes they flicker. My question is, is it at all possible that a faulty transformer here or something like that could account for such a huge increase in usage? Is it possible that they could be drawing far more than you would expect 50W low voltage lights to?

Other than that I just can't explain what's going on.

Thanks.

Comments

Advertisement