Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEED HELP WITH FISH PLEASE

Options
  • 19-06-2009 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all

I really need help I'm loosing a fish a day.

I'll start with my tank hope there is enough info here

I have a 60L tank
    heater set to 28C
    filter
    ammonia 0
    nitrites 0
    nitrate between .5 and .15
    PH about 7

Livestock:
    5x guppies
    3x mollies
    2x gourami
    1x pleco

ok I thinks thats everything,

so this week I have lost 1 gourami, 2 guppies, and 2 mollies
    1 guppy looks very weak and I fear that he will be dead by the time I get home from work

I cannot see any signs of disease, they all look fine no damage to fins, no white spots etc...

I just can't figure it out.

any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Hi Irishfirepics

Your water parameters look ok (ammonia/nitrite = 0). Sometimes however, if the 'best before date' has expired on the tests, they might give inaccurate results.

The temperature might be a little high. I would reduce it to around 24 degrees. A higher temperature would make their life span somewhat shorter.

Guppies used to be tough little fish, but no more. It is said that they are treated with antibiotics from day 1 and can't cope once they leave this environment. I have stopped keeping guppies for the simple reason that they don't survive long.

Maybe you introduced new stock recently that was carrying some disease ? It's generally best to have a quarantine tank and keep new fish in it for a few weeks before introducing them in the tank where all is stable (not always practical but highly recommended).

Maybe there is some aggression in the tank. I have kept dwarf gouramies in the past and they are no little saints !
    How large is the pleco ?

... Only some things that came to my mind and hopefully will help.

ValerieR
    www.irishfishkeepers.com
    connaught.fishkeeping.society[at]gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8 irishfirepics

Hi thanks for the reply

the pleco is only about 5cm long, I went to my lfs and they recommended a medication, fingers crossed that will work. i have started treatment yesterday and I haven't lost one today which is a great since i've been loosing one a day for the past few days.

Advertisement