Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spar and the non-MealDeal- terms & conditns apply

Options
  • 19-06-2009 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

OK, the poster in the Spar says:

6" Hoagie + 12oz hot drink from Insomnia, €2.99.

What it doesn't say is that their definition of a "hot drink" is tea or coffee, coffee being defined as Americano, Latte or Cappucino. So: I couldn't have a Mocha or a Hot Chocolate.

False Advertising! (and yes, I did email the Advertising Standards Authority)

PS what's this with 12oz drinks? I thought we were metric here? Is ANYONE familiar with fluid ounces anymore?? Anyone know how much 12oz is in centilitres?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

You got a hot drink, I fail to see the problem. They don't say any hot drink, they just say hot drink. Putting "terms and conditions apply" informs you that there is more information that is not being put in the ad. You asked and found out what these terms were so I don't see where the false advertising is

12oz is 354ml or 35.4cl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

OK, the poster in the Spar says:

6" Hoagie + 12oz hot drink from Insomnia, €2.99.

What it doesn't say is that their definition of a "hot drink" is tea or coffee, coffee being defined as Americano, Latte or Cappucino. So: I couldn't have a Mocha or a Hot Chocolate.

False Advertising! (and yes, I did email the Advertising Standards Authority)

PS what's this with 12oz drinks? I thought we were metric here? Is ANYONE familiar with fluid ounces anymore?? Anyone know how much 12oz is in centilitres?

if we are using strictly metric you should have declared your hoagie as 15CM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    You got a hot drink, I fail to see the problem. They don't say any hot drink, they just say hot drink. Putting "terms and conditions apply" informs you that there is more information that is not being put in the ad. You asked and found out what these terms were so I don't see where the false advertising is

12oz is 354ml or 35.4cl

They don't specify limits to 'hot drink'. Unless they define it in their advertising, a hot drink = any hot drink.

There was NO mention of 'terms & conditions' on the poster - the manager just said that there always are. If there are in fact T&C, they have to mention this in their ad.

Madmik, you're right about the 15cm! When will we go metric?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think the metric law is only for weight. 12 UK fluid oz is ~340ml, above 354 is US fl oz. This is why I despise non-metric/SI units, it is a small difference but I have to deal with exact measurements in work. US gallons & pints are different too.

To me hot drink would be tea or coffee. I am very surprised they offered latte & cappucino.

EDIT: seems it might be for volumes too.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/2004/0720/business/kfojqlsnkfmh/

Maybe there are exemptions, like in mcdonalds they do not give volumes, but maybe if they do give them it is a problem.

i was in the malthouse restauraunt yesterday ,they were offering any two
    4course meals from the menu for €45(starter,main,sides,desert or something like that)

underneath in tiny writing it said :

steak surcharge of €3 per meal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

madmik wrote: »
    steak surcharge of €3 per meal
    [/SIZE]
    That is pretty normal practice, I prefer it since if you are not having steak you are not paying a premium for the steak eaters.

Found the law
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2002/en/si/0639.html

rubadub wrote: »
    That is pretty normal practice, I prefer it since if you are not having steak you are not paying a premium for the steak eaters.

Found the law
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2002/en/si/0639.html

im not complaining about it ,i only mentioned it because its quite similar to the spar deal having its own terms and conditions

these things are quite necessary because people will take the pi$$ if allowed and a mocha probably costs more than an equivalent sized cup of tea

a steak dinner also costs more than an equivalent sized plate of pasta with tomatoe sauce etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

They don't specify limits to 'hot drink'. Unless they define it in their advertising, a hot drink = any hot drink.
    Is that in the legislation? What if you ordered a hot yak's milk?
    There was NO mention of 'terms & conditions' on the poster - the manager just said that there always are. If there are in fact T&C, they have to mention this in their ad.

Is that in the legislation? I know it applies for financial institutions because of their regulator but does it apply to everyone?

They offered you a 6" hogie and a hot drink. As far as I'm concerned they met their end of the deal

if the only says "SANDWICH + HOT DRINK FOR 2.99"

they could give you a hot water and they have fullfilled what was advertised

i would agree with the shop on this one(and thats rare cause i hate shops ripping off people) ,they dont have to include mocha in this deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Am I the only one who had to google , to find out what a hoagie was ? :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

calex71 wrote: »

Your not alone, Always thought Sub was a generic term braught by Subway for rolls lol

Nick

calex71 wrote: »

I only knew from watching amercian comedy programs

bill cosby used to eat hoagies !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if they said "ANY HOT DRINK" you'd have a case, but they didn't, so the OP should stop whining about it, they're getting a great offer that they'd have paid double that for a couple of years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

the 6"'s is probably a bit stingy though no ?, i mean the standard here is a cuisine de france roll which is a bit bigger than 6", or if your clever you go for the soft roll as you can fit more on it and they charge per item not weight and some things don't count like cheese (well in the local mace it doesn't) .
    And saying oh don't be stingy with the chicken when they are making it helps ;) Are there limits / t's & c's on the Hoagie too OP?

my roll and coffee cost 4.70 today but i would bet i got a much more substantial roll for my money as i wasn't able to finish the bugger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Sorry to revive an old thread, but just wanted to say that the ASAI upheld my complaint, Spar apologised, and you can now have any (available) hot drink as part of the deal.

A 'mocha' means they put in a shot of chocolate into the coffee....just a few cents worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Grats to you. :)

Advertisement