Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's time to upgrade to, erm.. Vista!

• 19-06-2009 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I think i'll finally take the plunge..

I've had Vista Ultimate x64 lying aronud for a while and I think the time has come to upgrade from XP x86.

The things that have been holding me back are UAC and the drastic changes in UI from XP.

I've read that you can turn off UAC but will everything work ok without it?

Can I change the UI to look like XP. For example, the networking sections and control panels are all different compared to XP.

Is it possible to change all this or should I just put up with it and get used to the changes.

I'd be interested in hearing how people have modded Vista to aid in the transition from XP..

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

DOnt bother wait till October and go for WIndows 7, heck even use the RC that is available, much better than any Vista incarnation (abomination)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Thanks for talking some sense into me..I've stayed away from Vista for so long, why give in now!!

I was thinking of waiting for Windows 7 but was scared by the fact that it was still in Beta?

Does Release Candidate mean that the current version is suitable for release??

Is there something about getting RC and having it free for a certain length of time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

techguy wrote: »
    Thanks for talking some sense into me..I've stayed away from Vista for so long, why give in now!!

I was thinking of waiting for Windows 7 but was scared by the fact that it was still in Beta?

Does Release Candidate mean that the current version is suitable for release??

Is there something about getting RC and having it free for a certain length of time..
    It run's perfectly and yes it's still a Beta but I know many people using it freely as their main OS and rightly so. It's free to download and will expire (and by expire, I mean shut down every two hours) from March of next year - but it's out this October :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Cool, I have an earlier ISO but I'll download the latest one tonight!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

be prepared to do a full clean install when you get the released version of windows 7
    while it should work , don't rely on being able to upgrade the RC to the full version with no problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

<-- Vista skipper here.

---

I've sent out a few copies of the RC to various people (including boards users), one question I'd like to know how to answer, when does the RC expire\stop functioning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Windows 7 64 RC gave me dire gaming performance when compared to Vista 64, 10fps less in Crysis with same graphics driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

vista works great, you can get a vista pc from 80 background tasks to 38 in about 30 mins of unticking boxes and disabling services, i have done this to every vista pc i have ever looked at (about 200) and have had 0 complaints.

I never use uac, i found it can cause problems on systems with less the 1gig of ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Amalgam wrote: »
    I've sent out a few copies of the RC to various people (including boards users), one question I'd like to know how to answer, when does the RC expire\stop functioning?

June 1st 2010, but it will restart your pc every 2 hours starting from March...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/faq.aspx

Vista X64 is a damn fine OS imo, I'd say go for it now... Windows 7 isn't all that much of an improvement
    I disabled UAC on day 1 of using Vista and have never considered turning it back on... It causes so many headaches with client's pcs in work

Also a Vista skipper here, my main reason being, as you said, the drastic UI change - which probably has me screwed for any future releases. I'm also very reluctant to go 64-bit as I have several applications (e.g. ATI Tray Tools) which don't have signed drivers so they won't run under 64-bit Vista but do work on 64-bit XP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement