Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GU 5.3, GU10 explained?

Options
  • 19-06-2009 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Can anyone shed any light (:rolleyes:) on what is the difference between these type of bulbs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

GU5.3 are the extra low voltage type,12v,and need to be used with a transformer.

GU10 are the low voltage(mains 230v) type and don't need a transformer

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This is a GU5.3

11342212509c4e3.jpg

This is a GU10
    gu10.jpg

As superg correctly says the GU5.3 operates at 12 volts d.c.
    The GU5.3 gives superior light quality than the GU10 (the GU10 is a bit too yellow). For the same energy consumption the GU5.3 also gives 40% more light output.

I have found that GU10s need to be replaced far more frequently than GU5.3s.

The disadvantage of GU5.3 is the additional expense of the transformers.

Many people are now buying GU10 type light fittings and installing energy efficient lamps in them such as this LED type:

GU10_LED.jpg

Personally I do not like the light quality from these LED lamps. If light quality is important to you I would suggest that you go for the GU5.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i think the 12v halogen run on 12v ac or dc.not sure about the 40% better output.is it that much better?the soft-start on some transformers would help with halogen bulb-life anyway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

i think the 12v halogen run on 12v ac or dc
    Yes, you are correct

not sure about the 40% better output.is it that much better?
    In or around 40% for incandescent lamps.

Try both and you will clearly see a big difference. Colour rendering is much poorer with the GU10 also.
    the soft-start on some transformers would help with halogen bulb-life anyway.
    I am aware of soft start with switches only. As you say the soft start helps.

I think that blub life is extended mainly because the transformer regulates the supply to the lamp keeping the voltage applied more constant.

Whereas the GU10 is more exposed to fluctuations in the supply voltage with "spikes" reducing lamp life significantly.

i'm aware of the difference always assumed it was nearer 20%.dimmers and trafos can have soft-start. dunno how many of the electronic trafos have it.there would be no need for both anyhow for one fitting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Thanks lads, very informative. We have 5.3 throughout the house and have not had a blown bulb in 4 years.

They are all 50W and in parts of the house are needlessly bright, can you get LEDS for the Gu 5.3?

afaik yes.don't think leds are dimmable just yet.gu-10 would be the simplest from scratch as you can choose between cfl,led and halogen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Thanks lads, very informative. We have 5.3 throughout the house and have not had a blown bulb in 4 years.

They are all 50W and in parts of the house are needlessly bright, can you get LEDS for the Gu 5.3?

yes you can, http://www.loweleds.com/ sold them before you could try them.

Stevie Dakota:
    We have 5.3 throughout the house and have not had a blown bulb in 4 years.
    This is normal for GU5.3

You would have replaced many GU10s by now.

Stevie Dakota:
    parts of the house are needlessly bright
    A quick simple & cheap soultion would be to change the lamps from a 50W to 20W and the running cost for each lamp will be cut by 60%.

davelerave:
    don't think leds are dimmable just yet
    + 1

Stevie Dakota
    can you get LEDS for the Gu 5.3?
    I am open to correction here, but I dont think you can get GU5.3 LED lamps. The link Stoner has only shows GU10 LED lamps.

You can keep your GU5.3 light fitting and use a GU10 lamp holder like this:

159.237.jpg

Personally I have not found a LED lamp that gives the quality of light that I would be happy with. With costs ranging from about €25 to €40 it will take many, many years for them to pay for themselves too.

I do believe that LEDs are the future, but prices will have to come down and the quality will have to improve before they really catch on IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Thanks 2011, very informative.

• Advertisement

the 12v leds don't appear to be available atm. in the wholesalers anyhow

Advertisement