Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your honest opinion on Piracy?

• 19-06-2009 2:50pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Few discussions popped up on this in ramdon threads about this, so i thought it might be worth kicking it off in its own thread again.

What are your real honest opinions on Piracy? Are you 100% legal buying all your tunes, and not even one illegally obtained Mp3 on your hard drive? Or are you a complete Pirate where if you can get it for free, you do...? I'm sure most are somewhere in the middle but its interesting to hear everyone viewpoints.

Have the record industry been creaming it for too long, is it their fault they were too slow to react in the first place? How do you consider downloading a Live Set as opposed to an individual track? What about Youtube? If there was a subscription fee you could pay for an all you can eat mp3 buffet, would you do it?

Do you agree with the South Park Episode and think musicians should be in it for the Music - and not just the money - especially when they are very wealthy already.

Is there ever going to be a solution to the problem? How do you think it should best be handled?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

well to be honest im for choice.

if people wanna download stuff illegally theres feck all we can do about it.

personally i support the artist i like but have downloaded tracks illegally in the past.

its not wrong its not right but everyone does it much like speeding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

If I could afford to, I would buy music I like but I'm a poor student with a 20 meg connection and a rapidshare account :pac:

I try and support artists I like and I do buy albums but I download a good few albums every now and then to see what I like when I get bored of the old stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭francois

seannash wrote: »

personally i support the artist i like but have downloaded tracks illegally in the past.

I'll d/load first, if I like i'll buy it, preferably on vinyl if possible, though i'm still scratching my head regarding what you see to be different about DJ mixes-surely commercially available mixes have had royalties paid, so why should mixes uploaded without this be any different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

hypocritecopy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Piracys cool, nothing wrong with it in my opinion!

It's handier having all your fav songs on your computer as well rather than opening and fideling with CD cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭francois

Greyfox wrote: »
    Piracys cool, nothing wrong with it in my opinion!

It's handier having all your fav songs on your computer as well rather than opening and fideling with CD cases

Is fideling something you do with Castro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

derra wrote: »
    hypocritecopy.jpg

You're wrong there - Sean was complaining about the sharing of copyright material in the asylum thread (which is against boards rules), not complaining about piracy in general.Where's the hypocrisy in that?

You're wrong there - Sean was complaining about the sharing of copyright material in the asylum thread (which is against boards rules), not complaining about piracy in general.Where's the hypocrisy in that?

I was referring to that qoute, and it is highly possible he could download in the future.
    And probably bit annoyed with him for posting the other thread and the implications it has had, when it was no issue for the last 4 years on the thread :)
    But listen , peoples opinions will differ on the matter and especially for likes of Sean who himself is an artist and is catch 22 situation for him.
    He could understand from an artist point of view illegal downloading etc and what it would feel like for people downloading his music without paying but at same time be tempted to illegally download music :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

piracy doesn't hurt real artists, they make their money at the gigs.
    it only hurts the companies who try make a profit from it all, they're not artists...con artists maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

what do i think about piracy... well i have been watchin ross kemp try to infiltrate them lately.. crafty sea dogs.

nah seriously though, personally i couldnt be arsed to pay for an mp3, spent 10 years buying vinyl at outrageous prices. the industry owes me hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

100% legal here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I think a lot of people are full of **** to be 100% honest. As if anyone cares if someone is downloading an Elvis CD and not paying for it - "oh now that's extreme I hear them saying" - and as if someone could give a damn if some junglist from Iraq is having his music shared in Chile. No one gives a fúck do they?

If I like something I will buy it, the novelty of owning an original is something I like. I downloaded Chris Liebing - Stigmata and took me ages to find it online and eventually bought it from some guy in NY via Discogs. One example of many I downloaded then bought, The Mix Collection remastered is another that springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

derra wrote: »
    I was referring to that qoute, and it is highly possible he could download in the future.

Fair enough, my bad then. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

i firmly believe that being able to get everything you want easily is a bad, bad bad bad thing.

i firmly believe that being able to get everything you want easily is a bad, bad bad bad thing.
    :D
    Copyofbad.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 electroma

i dont see problem with it as someone has already said i spent 10 years buying vinyl at ridiculous prices, artists are still making their money just not as much, share and share alike :D once the quality is great haha

Advertisement