Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need to get my recordings onto the laptop

Options
  • 19-06-2009 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

hey for years i wanted to record and edit video clips and i have the reccordings but i dont know how to get them onto the computor im using a canon mv800 im using dvc cassette tapes!id appreciate the help!!do i just get a firewire cable?i am editing them and uplaoding them on youtube!

cheers,Andy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, hook up the firewire cable. Your OS may see it and notify you, may not. Now boot your capture software, and turn your camera onto "Play" mode. Dont hit play though, the software will trigger it to play when you hit record.

If you use raw .AVI rips on standard DV then you'll use around 13GB/Hour. Less on LP mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭xxboylarzxx

cheers m8 im using a laptop and i dont have a firewire port and my laptop has no slot for an adition ?can i do it any other way?

p.s is this simon how runs the airsoft page on bebo?

this is andy im talking to you about my aeg

Yep, its me :D

You can use a USB box, I have an older version of the pinnacle one myself, but its around 90 quid a unit.

You wanna get somehting like this: http://www.iogear.com/product/GUH420/

If you get a crappy chinese one it may bottleneck and reduce quality/fail. Should get one for under €50 shipped though.

The other option is a PC-Card or PCMCIA Card, are you sure you dont have a slot for one/both of them, 90% of full size laptops have them. Even my budget piece of cr@p. http://www.amazon.com/Card-PCMCIA-Firewire-Port-Cable/dp/B00008AB53 That kinda thing, there's cheaper sites than amazon.

Personally, I rip to the desktop then network it to my laptop(takes a little while :P)

small world,(and your an expert on capturing and editing 2) :D

i put in my laptop model and put firewire init ant there was a review saying it is a verry good laptop apart from the meomry can only be upgraded and theres no slot for a firewire card:(

actually i could do that my dektop is verry slow but i could buy a firewire cable put it on the desktop then put it ona usb?could that work??

Yeah, how long is the footage?

Each tape in "Standard Play" or normal mode is 13GB. If you have an 8GB usb key, then you can rip 30mins at a time and transfer. Thats 30 mins to rip + up to ten to write, depending on the speed of the usb key, but it should be less. You can edit directly off the usb, but I'd move it to your drive, usbs can be knocked out quite easily. If you gotta 2GB key, then your looking at 7 runs per tape, might be worth buying a larger key with the cable.

• Advertisement

emm im recording airsoft videosso i suppose it could be about 15 to 20 mins and thats without editing!i just bought firewire cable and my uncle has an external hardrive and the firewire cable fits in it!can i use this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ashtony

Great stuff, I have been wanting to know how to do this forever. Yay.

emm im recording airsoft videosso i suppose it could be about 15 to 20 mins and thats without editing!i just bought firewire cable and my uncle has an external hardrive and the firewire cable fits in it!can i use this?

Ohh, weird....

An ext. HDD wouldn normally be USB Mini(Not micro) Male to USB Type A Male.

Are you sure its a firewire? The firewire cable should look like this:
    AK%201394-184.jpg

In any case the ext. HDD is limited to a very basic control chip, it cant run independantly and has no way to communicate with the camera. Gotta go through a specific capture device or a computer :)

yeah itsa firewire 6 pin to 4 pin (ieee 1394 plug to 1394) the hard drive is a bit more advanced than normal he does map drawing and its really expencive!is there envn a point of giving ita shot? i thaught it would work because it plugs into the wall and a sub goes into the computor and the firewire cable goes into the hard drive and into the video camrea

ahh dam i thaught i just found an easy way out!:L

Its still simple.

Connect the HDD to the desktop with 1394. Connect the camcorder. Rip directly to the HDD(select the directory in your software, easy to do). Then safely remove the HDD and connect to the laptop you wanna use. Then open the software and start editing. Only gonna add 2 minutes to switch the USB over from the desktop to the laptop:)

Dont forget to safely remove though, dont want any corruptions :D

• Advertisement

i think im mixed up,the hard drive connects to the desktop via usb port and there is a slot on the hard drive for the firewire cable.(my uncle doesnt have a firewire port on his computor nor do i):confused::confused::confused::confused:lol sorry for this im new to dis :L

OOops, my mistake. I somehow remembered that you had a different machine with a 1394.

http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MME0865839&productID=S3899997

Thats a PCI card, if you have a slot in the desktop thats gonna ensure maximum quality. Most desktops have around 3 spare slots. Just pop the case and have a look for one under your graphics card :)

I'm trying to find a USB - 1394 hub for the laptop in Ireland. No luck yet.

cheers mate!thanks for your help!

woudlnt it b soo much easier if they had an adapter so it wud fit in2 d usb :L

A usb connection would require a controller bus on the camera, and USB wont always give DV bandwidth. But yeah, it would be handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

cheers mate!thanks for your help!

woudlnt it b soo much easier if they had an adapter so it wud fit in2 d usb :L

Some of the Canons have dual use. USB/Firewire, sadly not your model.

Remember, you can keep things simple for transferring. I would advise using:

WinDV: http://windv.mourek.cz/ (Free)

Advertisement