Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amusement Arcade for Balbriggan

Options
  • 19-06-2009 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Has anyone else seen the planning application for an amusement arcade at the Castlemill shopping area? It's seeking permission to develop the former @homestore across from Dunnes.

One wonders what kind of arcade they will operate. Kids merry go-rounds, or maybe adult slot machines? Either way, i think it'll be bad news for the area.

Anyone else got any info or thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

Has anyone else seen the planning application for an amusement arcade at the Castlemill shopping area? It's seeking permission to develop the former @homestore across from Dunnes.

One wonders what kind of arcade they will operate. Kids merry go-rounds, or maybe adult slot machines? Either way, i think it'll be bad news for the area.

Anyone else got any info or thoughts on this?

I dont know havent seen anything, must have a look over weekend, dont think it is a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

Those shops are a disaster. Most have been empty since they were built. The home store lasted about 5 minutes.

I'd be surprised if the people that live in the apartments there didn't complain. There is already no shortage of gormless looking twats hanging around that complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

There is already no shortage of gormless looking twats hanging around that complex.
    Thats what happens when you build row after row after row of houses/complexes without properly evaluating what will happen in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

It'll never come anywhere close to the Budgies no matter what!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Seen it the other day and plan on putting an objection in. I live 3 mins walk from there and it will be a disaster for the area, which already has kids hanging around constantly at the shops and walking past my house locked during the week throughout the year.

Would be amazed if got the go ahead. Its the last thing balbriggan needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Planning for one on Drogheda Street was withdrawn earlier in the year. Contact the same people to make a submission on this one, you can read their objections and get details below.

F09A/0032

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fly.on.the.wall

I certainly think its a totally inappropriate area. There is a primary school metres away, this is a totally disgrace. I think the principal of the school / board of management should definitely put in an objection to this.

Are there any resident’s associations in Castle Mill, Barons Hall, Chieftansway or Brackenwood? Maybe they should consider each submitting an objection, or indeed private residents. I know i will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I haven't seen the application in the Window - that would be a nightmare for the area, because (as has been mentioned) the level of teenagers just hanging around that area is bad enough as it is, but putting an arcade in is only going to encourage more of them to congregate and really lower the tone of the area... giving one more reason not to use the Dunnes up there, if it goes ahead.

If I was Dunnes, or an owner of one of the other businesses up there (Cates, Bod-i, etc.) I would definitely lodge an objection. Does anyone have the application number, so I can take a look online and object? Thanks.

If I was Dunnes, or an owner of one of the other businesses up there (Cates, Bod-i, etc.) I would definitely lodge an objection. Does anyone have the application number, so I can take a look online and object? Thanks.
    F09A/0297

Plenty of objections lodged already including the people who manage the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Rather sneaky using the company name "1800 Flowers" to apply for this, no? To the casualy observer anyone would think they were looking to open a Florist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

I certainly think its a totally inappropriate area. There is a primary school metres away, this is a totally disgrace. I think the principal of the school / board of management should definitely put in an objection to this.

Are there any resident’s associations in Castle Mill, Barons Hall, Chieftansway or Brackenwood? Maybe they should consider each submitting an objection, or indeed private residents. I know i will.

I believe lots of residents' associations are objecting. At the last Bremore castle residents' association meeting, there was a representative of the Baron's Hall residents' association present to talk about this planning application. I know the Bremore Castle Residents' Association is currently formulating an objection and will be submitting it shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

aniascor wrote: »
    I believe lots of residents' associations are objecting. At the last Bremore castle residents' association meeting, there was a representative of the Baron's Hall residents' association present to talk about this planning application. I know the Bremore Castle Residents' Association is currently formulating an objection and will be submitting it shortly.
    From experience it is better if residents object individually rather than en masse via a single object from an association. It may come to a planning meeting & the question is asked "How many objections were received?" The answer could be "Only five." Now those five may represent the objections of 300 households.

Whereas, if each resident objected it & the question were asked again... The answer could be "Three hundred."

That may have more of an impact on any decision. Councillors could disregard the opinions of 5 potential voters, but would be remiss if they discounted 300 of them.

Also, certain residents who are members of an association may not necessarily agree with the objection supposedly being made on their behalf.

Food for thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I would suggest each objection should have a copy sent to each member of Fingal C.C that represents the area and Balbriggan T.C. so they are under no illusion of the amount of people objecting. Also pay a visit to their clinics and start an email campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

What are yis on about-there is NOTHING for kids to do except hang around shops or the wasteland drinking- at least its SOMETHING!-sooner a sports club/similar opens up in the area the better also! Hopefully that wasteland behind the school could be used for pitches!
    Dont get me wrong id never let my youngin hang around the shops but if something comes up for the kids that do i wudnt knock it!

What are yis on about-there is NOTHING for kids to do except hang around shops or the wasteland drinking- at least its SOMETHING!-sooner a sports club/similar opens up in the area the better also! Hopefully that wasteland behind the school could be used for pitches!
    Whats wrong with O'Dwyers GAA and Balbriggan Town FC which are in the area? In the wider area you've also got another soccer club, a rugby club, a cricket club, along with many others active sporting and non sporting groups.

There are also multiple public playing pitches in the area.

Don't for one minute give us the old sob story of there is nothing for kids to do except hang around shops or the wasteland drinking, I'm afraid thats totally incorrect.

What have you as a parent done to keep your kids active within the local community?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Dont get me wrong id never let my youngin hang around the shops but if something comes up for the kids that do i wudnt knock it!

There are numerous sports clubs/similar around the Balbriggan area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Diamond Joe

There is already no shortage of gormless looking twats hanging around that complex.

Seen the retail unit next door has a planning permission application for a restaurant, just the view you'd want when tucking into your spag bol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

When I lived in Balbriggan between the years '98 to '05 there was an amusement arcade on Quay Street, I'm not sure if this is still there?

As Balbriggan is a seaside town I believe that it should have this facility but it should be in the right location. Eg. near the beach and not in the middle of a residential area.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LaFleur

Seen the retail unit next door has a planning permission application for a restaurant, just the view you'd want when tucking into your spag bol.

I saw this too. So it's a "restaurant" seeking to open. I'd love a good place to eat in the area, but it'll probably be McDonalds, BugerKing or even KFC....god help us! :rolleyes:

Planning for a restaurant was granted for those two units back in 2000 as part of the complete planning application for the Castle Mill area. The recent granted planning (granted Dec-08) is for a take away part of said restaurant.
    LaFleur wrote: »
    it'll probably be McDonalds, BugerKing or even KFC
    Not a chance, there is no way that area has the footfall or fits in with any of those business plans.

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Whats wrong with O'Dwyers GAA and Balbriggan Town FC which are in the area? In the wider area you've also got another soccer club, a rugby club, a cricket club, along with many others active sporting and non sporting groups.

There are also multiple public playing pitches in the area.

Don't for one minute give us the old sob story of there is nothing for kids to do except hang around shops or the wasteland drinking, I'm afraid thats totally incorrect.

What have you as a parent done to keep your kids active within the local community?

We need pitches etc in Brackenwood/castle mill area not wasteland- well and good for people livin down near the village! Also wats the irrational fear of an arcade-someone explain it?

We need pitches etc in Brackenwood/castle mill area not wasteland- well and good for people livin down near the village!
    What village?

Down past O'Dwyers there are any number of pitches. Where there is a will there is a way.

What village?
    Balbriggan

Balbriggan
    It's a long long time since Balbriggan was a village.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

! Also wats the irrational fear of an arcade-someone explain it?

Arcade's generally don't attract the nicest sort of clientelle. now if thats in a own centre where people don't live next door to it, thats not really an issue, but put one in the middle of a residential area and it's a different story.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying once you go into one you're some sort of scumbag, but it's not an ideal location.

Out of curiosity, what estate are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It's a long long time since Balbriggan was a village.

I think by village he/she meant the centre of the town ie, what would have been the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Apparently there were only 12 objections logged and the closing date was July 19th. I'm very surprised there was only 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

I'm new to all this boards thing by the way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

it is great news

Advertisement