Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well, Smyths are total Morons...

Options
  • 19-06-2009 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Went in to the store in Carrickmines this morning and asked for Ghostbusters for the Playstation 3. The dude behind the counter goes:

"No, that's to be continued. It's not coming out"
    "What?"
    "Yeah, because of the fight."
    "It was released today"
    "No. It's on hold."

So I left, went down to Harvey Norman's, got it there. When you are outdone on games sales by Harvey Norman's you know you are fcuked.

On the way home I nearly turned back to get more details about the 'fight', but I just wanted to play the game at that stage... which is awesome btw.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You sure he was the owner of Smyths ? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

"To be continued"?:p

Sounds like a bit of an asshat, but you get those in every type of shop out there, not just Smyths...
    Doesn't take much bloody effort to look at a release list every morning:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

5uspect wrote: »
    You sure he was the owner of Smyths ? :pac:

Wut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Actaully the xbox console verison is meant to be on hold in europe for the next 3 months.
    IT is meant to be advailible for P3 and pc but the usa xbox verison is region free and people are just ordering that online.

So he had his wired crossed a tad.

F-Stop wrote: »
    Wut?

Groan.
    Thread title:
    Well, Smyths are total Morons...

I was expecting a discussion on how Smyths as a company are ripping off the consumer, murdering African babies, and spreading swine flu.

Instead I learn Smyths employ a misinformed person.

This thread would have been far more entertaining if you had have gone back to the guy to show him your copy form HNs or told us of how you made a fool of him in front of his boss causing him to lose his job and therefore prove that Symths really are Morons.

Maybe I expect more from Friday threads... :)

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    xbox verison is region free

Wasn't aware of that, my xbox owning mate will be pleased.

5uspect - sorry, you are right ;) I should have written the title as: This one guying working in one branch of Smyths is a moron.

Unfortunately this isn't an isolated incident. I went in there in February, and asked the guy (a completely different moron), if they had Skate 2 (which had been released the week before). "For which console?" I had just got a PS3 for Christmas so I said "PS3". "No, sold out". "OK then, Xbox." "No, sold out". "So you don't have it at all?" "No." "Then why did you ask which console I wanted it for?" The guy just shrugged. "When will you have it in stock?" "Next week." I happened to be in Carrickmines the next day so I dropped in and there it was on the shelves in both PS3 and Xbox flavours.

5uspect wrote: »
    This thread would have been far more entertaining if you had have gone back to the guy to show him your copy form HNs

It crossed my mind, but it would have only served to belittle the guy and nothing would have come of it. I am still curious about the 'fight' though and if this fight involved ghosts?

Well then, you know, make it up!

TBH tho I don't really ask people in games shops for info.
    Some of the guys in the local Gamestop seem decent tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

not ghosts liencing issues

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/16/xbox-360-ghostbusters-not-region-locked-europe-doesnt-need-to/
    According to a number of reports from North American purchasers of Ghostbusters: The Video Game, the highly anticipated film-to-game adaptation is more than capable of crossing the stream known as the Atlantic Ocean. Yes, players are claiming that the Xbox 360 version of the title isn't region-locked, and can be played on consoles worldwide -- even in Europe, where Sony recently scored the publishing rights for the title, turning it into a PS3 exclusive.

In other words, for Europe's import-savvy 360 owners, the chance to digitally don a proton pack is just one transatlantic cargo plane journey away.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/06/sony-publishing-ghostbusters-in-europe-psp-version-resurrected/
    Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has announced that it will be publishing Ghostbusters in Europe this June, meaning that the game is now a PS3 and PS2 exclusive in the region. Not only that, but the rumored and debunked PSP version has also been confirmed for release later this autumn. The PS3 and PS2 versions are currently set for a June 19 debut.

Eurogamer has confirmed with Atari that the deal is for timed exclusivity on Sony platforms, with all other versions being released "later in the year." It's certainly a strange move on Atari's part, especially when limiting their potential consumer base is being called "maximizing the launch of the Ghostbusters videogame across Europe" by Atari's VP of Worldwide Marketing. Pushing non-Sony versions further towards or, even worse, into Q4 won't do the 360, Wii and DS versions any favors.

Update: Atari US has clarified its publishing plans for the North American region. The 360, PS3, Wii and DS versions will all be released in the US on June 16, as previously announced. The PSP version will be released worldwide in Autumn.

Same issue that killed of Atrai as a console due to the war over the rights to tetris.

Hmm, I've a friend over in the States this week...

• Advertisement

F-Stop wrote: »
    Went in to the store in Carrickmines this morning and asked for Ghostbusters for the Playstation 3. The dude behind the counter goes:

"No, that's to be continued. It's not coming out"
    "What?"
    "Yeah, because of the fight."
    "It was released today"
    "No. It's on hold."

So I left, went down to Harvey Norman's, got it there. When you are outdone on games sales by Harvey Norman's you know you are fcuked.

On the way home I nearly turned back to get more details about the 'fight', but I just wanted to play the game at that stage... which is awesome btw.

What fight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

OP, did you ask to speak to Mr Smyth about this?

OP, did you ask to speak to Mr Smyth about this?

wot?

What fight?

Exactly.

Advertisement