Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAB

• 19-06-2009 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm interested in becoming a detective and ideally working for the Criminal Assets Bureau. I understand that in order to do so I'd have to become a member of AGS first and then work my way into it from there but has anybody any idea how hard it is to get in, what kind of qualifications they might look for etc.?

Any info would be great,

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Having an accounting qualification may be useful, any degree will bump you up the pay and promotion prospects. However, its all down to how well you do in your garda exams, work experience, etc. Don't expect to get into CAB inside 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭An Capall Dubh

Cheers Victor,

is it the same kind of time frame for becoming any kind of detective in AGS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

10 years if your lucky and good.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DCTF

There's two people in my station a male and female who are in DDU and have 5 years service. Both are extremley proactive and are up there permanently it's not just an attachement thing before someone suggests that. Both also have the firearms course done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

is it fair to say that promotion in rank and to different units doesnt follow any schedule but depends on vacancies oppurtunities at the time and on the individual, rather than sayin around 10 years as was just disproved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

From what ive heard it is the detective unit that chooses the person, not the person choosing. In other words the detective unit gets an attachment of a certain person and eventually that person may well become pernament. Dunno how well this works in reality

Advertisement