Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

B****x

• 19-06-2009 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭

Alright lads ...

I had my test today in Tallaght ...

went like a charm, nailed the Rules of the Road ... controlled braking ... obstacle avoidance ... hillstart ... didn't miss a beat on the road ...

almost done after almost an hour(just around the corner from the test centre), and I did my u-turn ... no problems there .... instructor says ... "now we do slow control and we'll head back to the centre" ...

and the fu**in' clutch cable snaps .... so the test is abandoned ...

So I says ... "Ah sure I probably failed anyway" an he says "Nah, theres not one "X" on the sheet, you were flying"...

I mean sick is not the word ....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ah man thats tough look. An hour to do the test. I was only out on the road for about 15 minutes for mine a years back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

That really sucks! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭pippatee

seanybiker wrote: »
    ah man thats tough look. An hour to do the test. I was only out on the road for about 15 minutes for mine a years back.

Yeah, an hour ... I think cos traffic was bad ....I was outside Shamrock Rovers stadium for about 20 mins just waiting ...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sucks! Sorry to hear that. He should have just given it to you.... I mean come on...

Zascar wrote: »
    Sucks! Sorry to hear that. He should have just given it to you.... I mean come on...

I know ... I was kinda hopin' he'd just tell me to follow him back in first gear an pass me ... but I rang the RSA and they'll let me sit the retest for nothing and prioritise my booking ... so all is not lost ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

that is a tough break, hope u've put in for another straight away and put that u'd take a cancellation.

U'll ace it next time, btw my test i was riding round for over an hr, apparently it was just such a nice morning!!!!

PS could have been worse, i know of a guy that did the whole test, was told to pack bike at the test center, he thought it was in neutral, he let out the clutch and bike ended up burried in the wall and he got flipped over the wall, all will tester looking at him, needless to say his pass turned to a fail.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Lilliput69 wrote: »
    that is a tough break, hope u've put in for another straight away and put that u'd take a cancellation.

U'll ace it next time, btw my test i was riding round for over an hr, apparently it was just such a nice morning!!!!

PS could have been worse, i know of a guy that did the whole test, was told to pack bike at the test center, he thought it was in neutral, he let out the clutch and bike ended up burried in the wall and he got flipped over the wall, all will tester looking at him, needless to say his pass turned to a fail.....

Hahaha brilliant.

OP, just think of it as a good pre-test, you'll be passed in a few weeks now hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

pippatee wrote: »
    I know ... I was kinda hopin' he'd just tell me to follow him back in first gear an pass me ... but I rang the RSA and they'll let me sit the retest for nothing and prioritise my booking ... so all is not lost ...

At lest you'll stroll it the next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Bummer dude - chalk it up to experience...

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Try1ng

Hard luck mate, real bummer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

That's plain nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

That's a sh1t one man.
    If it's any consolation you shouldn't be waitin too long
    had my test cancelled & put on priority like yourself (tester pulled a sickie)

Had my test approx 7 seven weeks.
    So try not to think about it-you'll have an RSA letter in the door in no time! :)

That's a sh1t one man.
    If it's any consolation you shouldn't be waitin too long
    had my test cancelled & put on priority like yourself (tester pulled a sickie)

Had my test approx 7 seven weeks.
    So try not to think about it-you'll have an RSA letter in the door in no time! :)

Cheers ... doesn't seem so sh1tty today ... like you say, hopefully I'll be sorted soon ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

My gear leaver broke off just minutes after the test.

My gear leaver broke off just minutes after the test.

:pac: ... Nice one ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

:pac: ... Nice one ....
    I did my test in 1984 on a 1962 Triumph Tiger Cub 200cc, (Same bike today would be the equivelant power of a 50cc scooter) Even back then the tester was interested in the bike as most would have Jap at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

I'd read this before, and it sounded like a good idea... dont know how plausible it is though..

If you're putting a new clutch cable on it, it might be worthwhile to get two, and ziptie them together. Then run them as a single cable and just connect one of em up. That way in future if one breaks, its a relatively quick job to unhook it, and connect the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wossack wrote: »
    I'd read this before, and it sounded like a good idea... dont know how plausible it is though..

If you're putting a new clutch cable on it, it might be worthwhile to get two, and ziptie them together. Then run them as a single cable and just connect one of em up. That way in future if one breaks, its a relatively quick job to unhook it, and connect the other.

Its easier just to lubricate your cables regularly.

OP how did you recover the bike?.

If that happens again, put the bike in first and start in on the electric start. The bike will jump forward but it'll bump start into life.

After that just change up gear as normal (but don't go flat out!). You won't change down gear without a clutch so break and let the bike cut out (at the lights), put it into first for the green light and off you go again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

hard luck OP, thats awful timing. At least you know you wont have any problems next time.

Its easier just to lubricate your cables regularly.

OP how did you recover the bike?.

If that happens again, put the bike in first and start in on the electric start. The bike will jump forward but it'll bump start into life.

After that just change up gear as normal (but don't go flat out!). You won't change down gear without a clutch so break and let the bike cut out (at the lights), put it into first for the green light and off you go again.

That's what I did ... I couldnt jump through the gears for some reason, but I was only 5 mins from home, so I just drove in first ... judged the lights nicely so I didn't have to stop

• Advertisement
Advertisement