Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged Rifle from incorrect screw cutting

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    And this is exactly WHY in law there should be a requirement for
    [1] Gun dealers and gunsmiths to be two seperate entities.
    Why?i wouldnt think a gunsmith could make a good living here without dealing of some sort?
    I know some gsmiths probably would have no interest in dealing but i'm sure some would/do
    Would we not just end up with less smiths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 reddevilstu

Hi all,

just wanted to update you on the result of my meeting with the dealer.
    In fairness to him I explained my grievances and straight away he offered to replace the barrel with no quibbles. He even offered me the North Star moderator at cost price as a gesture of good faith which I took him up on.
    I've been to the Garda Station and had the number changed on the Licence and now have the gun back in it's original condition.
    I am now going to have it threaded by a top class guy. I suppose the moral of the story is do your homework and make sure you see examples of the work before you have it done.
    I am delighted with the outcome and the dealer's attitude and therefor I will do business with him again, I just wont get any threading work done there and he's happy enough with that.
    Thanks for all your help and advice,

Reddevil:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

thats good news, is it a new barrel or new rifle ? , seeing as he's done the honourable thing who is this dealer ?

he had a t3 hunter there so he just took the stock off that and put my synthetic stock on.
    happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Good news Red Devil.

I collected my ASE Northstar moderator in 5/8" and .30cal last week and got my 223 CZ Varmint threaded on Firday. I'm very happy with the threading - a good job well done @€;60 + a thread protector.

Off to the range on Saturday and the new mod cuts the noise and recoil down well. The noise is now such that you could shoot without muffs if needed. And the groups tightened up just that tad smaller.

Got my first fox, and first kill, with the CZ Varmint on Saturday night @140y in the first field we lamped with the mod fitted and all worked out nice and quite. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Good to hear.Alls well that ends well.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

clivej wrote: »
    Good news Red Devil.

I collected my ASE Northstar moderator in 5/8" and .30cal last week and got my 223 CZ Varmint threaded on Firday. I'm very happy with the threading - a good job well done @€;60 + a thread protector.

Off to the range on Saturday and the new mod cuts the noise and recoil down well. The noise is now such that you could shoot without muffs if needed. And the groups tightened up just that tad smaller.

Got my first fox, and first kill, with the CZ Varmint on Saturday night @140y in the first field we lamped with the mod fitted and all worked out nice and quite. :D

hi clivej,

do you use the moddy on a .30 cal and if so what is the recoil like with it on? I was told it would bring the 30-06 down to about same level as a .243.
    How do you find the 223? I was looking at a second hand Steyr scout, lovely rifle. Is it a flat shooting caliber and is it mainly a foxing caliber?
    thanks,

reddevil

hi clivej,

do you use the moddy on a .30 cal and if so what is the recoil like with it on? I was told it would bring the 30-06 down to about same level as a .243.
    How do you find the 223? I was looking at a second hand Steyr scout, lovely rifle. Is it a flat shooting caliber and is it mainly a foxing caliber?
    thanks,

reddevil

I got the mod in .30 cal for the 308 that I'm getting as well and also for use on the 223 that I now have.

I'm waiting 3 months for the 308 license to come through, another change of Super here in Kilkenny as of 3 weeks ago.

So I have only had the ASE Northstar mod on the 223 over the weekend and must say it takes some of the recoil out of the round as well as reducing the noise well as I found out on Saturday night when I shoot the fox without any hearing protecting on.

I use the 223 for foxes and use Federal V-Shok 40gr rounds that I find very fast, 3700fps, and flat. Zero 1" high @100m and it will be zeroed @200m and will be 1" low @225m so I have a 2" target (Point Blank Range I think they call that) out to 225m when the cross hair is on the fox.

I know how you feel I was waiting 10 months for my 30-06 licence, very frustrating missed the whole of last season.
    whats the noise and recoil like on the 223 without the mod on?

I know how you feel I was waiting 10 months for my 30-06 licence, very frustrating missed the whole of last season.
    whats the noise and recoil like on the 223 without the mod on?

Recoil is still Ok without the mod but with it on it's a pussy cat.

Noise is unbearable without the mod. I shot it once when zeroing and forgot to wear the ear muffs never again. With the mod fitted you can shoot all day and not be deafened. And you won't wake the neighbours shooting at night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement