Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found plaster in yougart, need advice...

Options
  • 19-06-2009 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

My partner recently had the pleasure of discovering a plaster (band-aid?) in her yogurt, it was a small circular one (possibly for verrucas or something disgusting like that), which she only discovered when it was in her mouth! :(

Although I haven't got to examine it fully myself, she has told me their is a dark spot in the middle that could be blood. This brings up several concerns for me and I'm wondering is there anywhere I can send it off to be tested in a lab, perhaps one of the Universities in Dublin (I'm in Dublin)?

I wont mention the company to save any problems for Boards (I would announce it from a height myself).

any advice is greatly appreciated.

*edit; I do realise the irony of picking this username last year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Keep everything, Go back to where you bought it, if it was a supermarket they will have a process of investigating things like this.

Ask to speak to the Chill manger and they will take all the details and return the item to the manufacture for examination.

What out come do you want?

If you want you can also contact the Environment Heath officer for the area the factory is located.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

That's pretty sick.

What do you want it tested for? A lab probably wouldn't get anything off it because it's a plaster with maybe some dried blood that been lying in a yoghurt for some about of time. Whatever was on it is completely contaminated now.

I seriously doubt she could have caught anything off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mankyfecker

As far as I know it was from a Spar on the quays but she wont be back in work till Monday to return it.

I don't know whether she would want to take anything further but I would like to know that if blood was on it, that she would not be under any health risks. That would be my number one concern.

Hopefully after being in the yougart it would be okay, but at the moment I'm still feeling pretty disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

ring the place if its a brand got gammy bread a few weeks ago and rang up then a week later 20 euro voucher for tesco.tht was because of manky taste but yours ya could be in for money

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I will take pictures and write up a complaint letter tonight and I'll see how seriously they take it, don't think I'll give it back to the shop as I'd prefer to handle sending it back myself (the less people involved the better).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭coolkidd

What yogurt was it, because i work for a yogurt company and regularly add little "extras" to the delicious yogurts!

If you got my plaster , you have nothing to worry about , it only used for a blister on my foot.

coolkidd wrote: »
    What yogurt was it, because i work for a yogurt company and regularly add little "extras" to the delicious yogurts!

If you got my plaster , you have nothing to worry about , it only used for a blister on my foot.

I really hope that's a joke...

if not tell me what company you work for and I'll stop buying them altogether :mad:

i work for yoplait, im head of health and safety department.

Some of the lads do some really nasty things which i must overlook to avoid to much wastage (waste management)!!

I never eat yogurts myself.

Some of the lads do some really nasty things which i must overlook to avoid to much wastage (waste management)!!

I really hope that is some sort of Ironic/Sarcastic humour that is going over my head...

• Advertisement

No joke here friend, probably happens in most production lines.

I dont think it is worth your while following up on this find, as you will more than likely be given a box (usualy contains 24 petite flous & 6 pack of strawberry/rasberry yops & 8 feel good mixed seed yogurts) as an appology.

you can put your mind at rest though as i can GUARANTEE this box will be clean with no unexpected extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Contact the State Laboratory on Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Get in touch directly with the yoghurt company, ring them ask to speak with the quality manager and tell them your problem. tell them you are extremley unhappy and want the matter dealt with quickly.

dont waste your time going back to the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

Contact the State Laboratory on Monday morning.

Don't do this - don't waste yours or their time. The state lab has enough to be doing what with all the murder/abuse cases without having to worry about a plaster in a yoghurt pot.

Best thing to do is ring the manufacturer and tell them everything you've told us.

If it is a good/ reputable company they will respond with free coupons and incentives. If, however, they just shrug off your problem or ignore it in anyway, I would recommend not buying from that company again. If they do shrug it off, I would seriously recommend mentioning that you will consider contacting the media about it - that should get a response from them. Blackmail? Not really. Just a customer looking for his/her rights to be upheld.

steo87 wrote: »
    Don't do this - don't waste yours or their time.

Wouldn't get on to them. Surely they work for the state/public services, not joe public anyway, and even if they did there's enough cancer tests etc. to go through.
    steo87 wrote: »
    If it is a good/ reputable company they will respond with free coupons and incentives.

To be honest, what I would really want is an apology and an assurance that this was out of the norm and they would try better to ensure disgusting stuff like this wouldn't happen again.

I will never buy from them again anyway, vouchers or no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Personally, I would be getting on to the Food Safety Authority, as you say, there was a mark on the plaster, which to me would raise serious concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

That is absolutely mank! Keep everything preserved as best you can. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

you should raise hell about it

dont allow their managment to forget it easily and hopefully the management will give the staff a hard time about it

it sounds to me like a practical joke by an employee who couldnt give a bollox about his job

I have worked in food factories and some of the things ive seen and done as teenager would put you off food completely

I can rememeber shoveling piles of fallen chicken from the floor back on to the conveyor belt after being told by a manager that the waste levels were too damn high and the waste product (rubbish) was weighed after shift and bollickings were given out if over x amount of kilograms were wasted per shift

this is not even taking into consideration the amount of messing about that went on (by employees)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

No joke here friend, probably happens in most production lines.

I dont think it is worth your while following up on this find, as you will more than likely be given a box (usualy contains 24 petite flous & 6 pack of strawberry/rasberry yops & 8 feel good mixed seed yogurts) as an appology.

you can put your mind at rest though as i can GUARANTEE this box will be clean with no unexpected extras.

Ha ha ha ha ha ... don't think i've seen such hilarious posts in ages *

* banned for 7 days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Step 1 is to taje photographs, good photographs illustrating exactly what was found from every angle possible.

Step 2 is to contact the manufacturer of the yogurt.

Step 3 contact health and safety body.

Ensure you have as many pictures as possible. Manufacturer will most likely request you send them the item and then deal with it. However once the item has left you they can deny it say it was an extra piece of packaging etc etc and this is the reason for step 1. Step 3, I say this after step 2 as you can then explain to them exactly what the manufacturer has responded with.

Pictures are a must. A few years back, 8 I think, my brother went to put a nappy on his child and realised there was a dead spider in teh nappy, under the protective inside lining. The spider was black with I think a bit of yellow on it, legs curled up, anyway he rang the company who promised the investigate, they needed to have the nappy to do so, the nappy was sent off and they received reply stating it was a stray bit of plastic packging and gave them a voucher to the value of £20 as far as I recall. Unfortunately my brother just sent the nappy without taking a picture so make sure you do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I got a beetle in a pot of blackcurrent jam about 4 years ago, it was a supermarket own brand. I went to my solicitor (as I'm Irish and like to sue people), I got €400 compo for stress etc.....nice!

Advertisement