Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swine flu in Mayo..Should the School Close?

• 19-06-2009 7:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0619/swineflu.html

According the RTE News a child has contracted swineflu and at this stage has probably passed it on to it's classmates.

I'm no expert but does anyone else feel that enough isn't being done to try and stem the spread of this disease or should we just accept we're fcuked??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

Claregirl wrote: »

According the RTE News a child has contracted swineflu and at this stage has probably passed it on to it's classmates.

I'm no expert but does anyone else feel that enough isn't being done to try and stem the spread of this disease or should we just accept we're fcuked??

this flu has killed a handful outside mexico.
    whats the big deal?
    normal flu kills half a million a year worldwide.
    the pig flu has a bit to go to catch up.
    i won't be running out to by my mask just yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

If only it was a disease that kills millions of people in Third World countries, then we'd be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

yeah sure they might as well, school's almost over now anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

The village (Breaffy) is ten miles from my house and I'm trying to get a job there too. Fckn luck :D There are about 20 children and adults being treated at the moment. It's not serious tbh. They'll be grand.

Ya, the school should close though just to be safe. They'd be finishing in a few weeks time anyway. It will make no difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I blame BrummyTom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i knew this day will come,

hugs out of date iodine tablets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

It's all over the city here.. literally hundreds and hundreds of cases (I think probably myself included) and only a handful of schools affected are shut

I really don't think it's that big a deal.. so I don't feel great, it's hardly a deadly flu to the majority of people. It'll spread anyway even if the school's close. Kids who think they are well but are carrying the virus are hardly going to spend their time off in solitary confinement are they? It'd just be trying to prevent the inevitable.

easyeason3 wrote: »
    I blame BrummyTom.

I'm sorry :( I knew I shouldn't have passed it on to the internets

*achoooooo*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

brummytom wrote: »
    I'm sorry :( I knew I shouldn't have passed it on to the internets

*achoooooo*

post reported, my laptop got a virus

• Advertisement

mukki wrote: »
    post reported, my laptop got a virus

NO!
    Right, from now on everyone wear a mask if you enter a thread I've posted in*

*Brummytom is in no way liable for any mutilations, deaths or blocked toilets as a result of the H5N1 virus. Don't shoot the messenger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭!

Education is important. Sure how would you like all those children getting Summer holidays early? Good for them but not for us. Keep them there. They'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I think the only rational thing to do here, is cut all around the edges of Mayo's county border and give it one big shove and let it float out into the Atlantic...that would stop the spread of the swine flu among other things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

<Insert culchie guard pig joke in Dub accent here>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

At last, a reason to firebomb Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Blarggggh

Are the prmary schools not starting =there hols today

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

wer pretty f**ked anyways, lets just sit back and wait!

but really, the symptoms are so much like normal flu that its hard to know, what can they do about it?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

Damn swine!

/shakes fist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

wudangclan wrote: »
    this flu has killed a handful outside mexico.
    whats the big deal?
    normal flu kills half a million a year worldwide.
    the pig flu has a bit to go to catch up.
    i won't be running out to by my mask just yet

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/sharp-increase-in-number-of-swine-flu-deaths-414194.html

87 reported deaths in US.

Now considering the US Health service versus Irish Health Service..... I don't fancy our chances much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You need a reason...? I just need the firebombs.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    You need a reason...? I just need the firebombs.

I'd rather be a culchie than a dub (or similar)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'd rather be a culchie than a dub (or similar)

yes I wouuuulddd..... if I only couuuulllddddd.... I sureleeeee woouuuullldddd....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Magpie!

I was so hoping the first case in Mayo would be in Swinford. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

K4t wrote: »
    The village (Breaffy) is ten miles from my house and I'm trying to get a job there too.

You better stay away from that hotel boi, I have the job in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

you mean at last a plausable excuse to firebomb Mayo:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

I think the school should close. Sure they'll be on their holidays in a week anyway so what difference will it make. I reckon a lot of the parents will keep their kids home anyway as a precaution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

The kids were being taken out of the school all day by parents and the HSE met with the school officials and parents at 2pm. The class of infected child have been examined by a doctor and the class teacher too. I wouldn't say the school will open next week for precautions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

The kids were being taken out of the school all day by parents and the HSE met with the school officials and parents at 2pm. The class of infected child have been examined by a doctor and the class teacher too. I wouldn't say the school will open next week for precautions.

It said on the news that the HSE and Dept. Of Education had no intention of xlosing the school. They would be the only people with the authoruty to clise it, the school couldn't just close themselves. At least they'd only have just over a week til holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Well considering Mexico and Mayo have the same levels of sanitation, I dont feel confident for the survival rate of our Westport cousins. Ah well...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I'd say it's fair enough to close the school at this stage. There's only a few cases in Ireland. In the states, schools acted like infection epicentres, where kids licked each other etc and brought the illness home to all their familes, and it spread from there.

The worry here isn't that it's mild for the kids infected. The worry os they go home and hug their grannies, or their newborn brothers and sisters. These are the people who can die from swine flu.

The whole thing isn't about protecting the man and woman on the street. It's about protecting vulnerable people from having to avoid a 2nd flu epidemic, on top of the one we get every winter anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

maybe we should try spread it around... just to get it over with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

feck closing the school, cull ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Mary Harney said we'd all be grand, they were monitoring it closely.

I wasn't worried till she said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I'd say it's fair enough to close the school at this stage. There's only a few cases in Ireland. In the states, schools acted like infection epicentres, where kids licked each other etc and brought the illness home to all their familes, and it spread from there.

The worry here isn't that it's mild for the kids infected. The worry os they go home and hug their grannies, or their newborn brothers and sisters. These are the people who can die from swine flu.

The whole thing isn't about protecting the man and woman on the street. It's about protecting vulnerable people from having to avoid a 2nd flu epidemic, on top of the one we get every winter anyway.

Must...resist...ascii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

You better stay away from that hotel boi, I have the job in the bag.
    No.

• Advertisement
Advertisement