Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish/Farmers Market coming to Balbriggan!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

"This is a local shop for local people. There's nothing for you here."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

LeoB wrote: »
    Duncan Stweart?

yeah, that's him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

I understand there are plans to also have it on a friday evening or saturday morning... just to re-iterate... stallholders are not permitted to sell imported produce if it is in season here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

minikin wrote: »
    I understand there are plans to also have it on a friday evening or saturday morning... just to re-iterate... stallholders are not permitted to sell imported produce if it is in season here.

I would love it to be on Saturday morning. I'm not sure having it on Friday evening would be much different to having it on Friday morning - people working 'til 5-6pm in the city centre still wouldn't be able to make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

the point of the market is to provide an outlet for fresh irish produce when it is in season, the stallholders are not allowed to sell an imported product if the irish one is still in season. Some of the stallholders display a calendar showing exactly what is in season each month.

It's amazing how people can nit pick at something that has been a genuine success for all involved... producers, customers and the council, particularly at a time when Irish producers are struggling to survive. (contracts being awarded outside of the state etc). Reeks of begrudgery - about time we started supporting each other rather than putting ourselves down.

I wasn't complaining, just pointing it out. I was a little surprised to see "Holland" as the origin of the onions I bought. Personally I'd shop there regardless of where the produce is from because it tastes better and is far cheaper than any of the supermarkets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Every Friday 10am-3pm from the 26th June... at the square for the first few months. Fresh local produce at last! :)

As you can see from the O.P Fresh local produce at last

Quote Bluetonic What exactly is being imported and being sold ahead of local produce?

Surely it being an open market where different sellers can sell the same category of produce no one is being prevented from selling?

Are sellers being prevented selling local produce? Quote Bluetonic

I dont know is the answer to 1

I never suggested anyone is being prevented from selling is the answer to 2 and 3. But it makes no sense taking into account where we live that we would need to have produce imported to have on stall in a local market.

By the way the photos posted here earlier are excellent and the square looks well. I am fully in favour of this market and other markets that promote Irish produce.

Who checks where the produce is from?

I have seen a so called "inspector" sing the praises of Dutch tomatoes to an Irish grower untill it was pointed out to him after he made his little cutting speech bemoaning Irish produce that the box of tomatoes had been swapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

My eyes hurt.

The omni has a few good opticians and there is one in Swords, Skerries and Im not sure about Balbriggan.

Good to see the launch of "Love Irish Food" today;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

LeoB wrote: »
    The omni has a few good opticians and there is one in Swords, Skerries and Im not sure about Balbriggan.
    Do they teach message boards etiquette for beginners?

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Do they teach message boards etiquette for beginners?

If they do I will let you know straight away. I Promise;)

Keep your hair on I was just replying to your post "My eyes Hurt"

Love Irish food was launched today with over 75 Irish food producers joining up. Their products will carry a logo showing where it is produced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Enough. Thank you. HB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Just bumping this thread back up to let you know that the market is to move indoors to the Combined Clubs shortly. HB - hope that's ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

that's right, from Friday 16th October, there is supposed to be new stalls too

Thats good news for Balbriggan. Good to see it still going. I think we will see a lot more of these in the year ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

There is also talk of it also being on a Saturday too!
    The summer season has been a great success by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

Saw a notice up in the Combined Clubs today to say market would be on Saturdays soon (no definite date)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

That would be great - I would love to go down and support it, but Fridays were always a major no-no because I don't work in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GreenLady

Just to say the Balbriggan market is re-starting this Friday - June 1st. Don't know what stalls there will be. Michael Grimes is still running it if anyone wants to get involved

Advertisement