Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From XP Pro back to Windows 2k

• 19-06-2009 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I'm considering jumping back from Windows XP Pro to Windows 2k.

Can anyone give me some details on any problems I may face? The only thing that really springs to mind is that I'll lose the fancy themes ...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Random, why?!

One thing I think you'll miss is wifi and (don't laugh at the back..) security.

The lack of seamless wifi features\integration is glaring, I find, once you step back.

Is Windows 2000 still being actively patched? I doubt it.

Other than that its a noble beast, I still use it on offline, stand-alone boxes for encoding etc.. where I need good sturdy reliability without any glossy beveling..

Make sure your Router is functioning well, or get a firewall you're happy with.

I still have trouble figuring out why go from XP Pro (which has matured well, in hindsight), to Windows 2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

wi fi works fine in win2k, you just goto the network adaptor in device manager and you can scan and enter wep keys, or the adaptor might have its own appliction.

Win2k sp4 with roll up one and ie 6 does works great, avg will install, itunes won't.

But a hardware upgrade to make winxp run better on any pc will cost nothing nowadays.

mukki wrote: »
    wi fi works fine in win2k

I'm not in disagreement, but it's not as fluid, say.. for lazy types, like myself. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Amalgam wrote: »
    I'm not in disagreement, but it's not as fluid, say.. for lazy types, like myself. :D

agreed, thought you were saying it was a no go

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you will loose system restore, very handy if you fubar up your OS

have you tweaked XP back to classic for everything ?

throw in some RAM and turn off the swap file and tell it not to unload dll's

if you have done any stuff with volumes basic/dynamic you may have fun :(

also look at - if you want to remove bits form XP
    http://www.litepc.com/download.html

• Advertisement

Windows 2000 is still in extended support for about another year or so, updates won't be an issue until then. But ATI and NVIDIA aren't actively making drivers for Windows 2000 anymore so you might be stuck if you have a newer card, GeForce 8+ in particular.

also look at - if you want to remove bits form XP
    http://www.litepc.com/download.html

Not forgetting nLite: http://www.nliteos.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Thanks for the feedback lads. Not really sure why - I'm just fed up with some XP Pro install issues I've been having lately and I have an old copy of 2k hanging around.

My original XP Pro disk is long gone and I've made some many various slip stream disks at this stage ...

Advertisement