Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New guitarist, New guitar.

Options
  • 19-06-2009 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

I'm looking to start playing guitar and I'm prepared to pay up to 250 euro. starting off for an electric.

So I'm asking anyone out there who has the experience to point me in the right direction, because I want a decent instrument as much as my budget demands. Under 200 would be a bonus as I'll probably have to get an amp upgrade straight off the bat.

I have no particular musical focus like metal, blues etc.

Any help or your own first experiences greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rgjmce

stay far away from sx thats all i have to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭FV-Emperor

I got it from a reliable source that the elevation strat copy in argos is good but personally I'm doubtful of getting a guitar in argos

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

FV-Emperor wrote: »
    I got it from a reliable source that the elevation strat copy in argos is good but personally I'm doubtful of getting a guitar in argos

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Buy a yamaha pacifica and a roland micro cube. Sorted. And i think it comes in under budget

I heard the micro cube is good for the effects, but what about its wattage, 2w. Can it be plugged into a bigger amp?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Starting out, you don't need louder. 2w might seem like nothing but it's really very good for home playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It's how wattage is used man.
    You get plenty of guys playing on Grafton street with MicroCubes, plenty loud enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Buy a yamaha pacifica and a roland micro cube. Sorted. And i think it comes in under budget

+1 Great advice there! ;)

Oh good because I was thinking it would be great to have a portable amp for busking.

Thanks for that everyone, i'l head down to the local music shops (Kilkenny+Waterford) and see what kind of deal I can cut.

I'll inquire about the yamaha pacific and the epiphone les Paul special 2.

Does haggling work in music shops?
    And any advice for learning the guitar? I'll probably be getting a teacher but is there any =thing I could be working on till then.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

TBH, I'd stay away from the Special 2. They're really nothing special!

Haggling works in every shop, just to different amounts. You should be able to get a few extras thrown in (strap, strings, cable, picks etc etc).

Check out justinguitar.tv and google "video beginner guitar lessons" and you'll get loads of resources that'll really help.

+1 Great advice there! ;)

Haha, OP do a search on this forum, every other thread similar to yours will have the same answer. Pacifica + Micro Cube!

• Advertisement

So the pacifica is really the way to go it seems, okay, yamaha it is

The pacifica is just such a comfortable guitar to play. The neck is just perfect and my left hand just moulds to it. I've gigged with pacificas for years. Some folk can't believe a beat up 200Euro yamaha can sound so nice. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jvc

Anyone have any experience of the difference between the pacifica 112 and the 112v? I read something about it having better pickups but do you think its worth the OP or me spending the extra few quid on?

112V

Theres a nice bundle going with the 112 here but someone with more experience of them might be able to tell you if its good value.

Hello again everyone, after visiting 4 different guitar shops and inquiring about guitars, they all point me in the direction of their squier strat packs around 220 euros. would it be better value to get the squier ( only decent reviews and I've heard the amp is really bad quality) with all the accsessories than the yamah or the epiphone les paul with the micro cube running over 250 euros.

Pleas e people I need your help, Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

You wont be disappointed by a Microcube.

I'm gussing I wont, it seems head over heaks over the rest against the other starter amps plus it'll stick with me for the busking side.

But Im gonna go for the squier pack for all the accsesories included, even though from what i've heard its an infeerior guitar, what does everyone think,

and would anyone be of the opinion that fender would hold its value better the yamaha pacifica?

I wouldn't be worrying about your guitar holding it's value at this price range. It's a squire, so it's not quite a fender, and imo, the yamaha would be a much better guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Dave Total

The Squiers in the packs are decent for beginners, the epiphone les paul is a much better guitar and the microcube is an excellent practise amp. But i would say if you have set your budget then stick to it, if you feel like getting a better guitar when you improve, then you can upgrade!

Thanks again, In one shop I got them to bring an epiphone les Paul down to 210 euros in a pack ( but they kept leading me back to a more expensive squier), plus from what I'm hearing here and from reviews is that the main upside of the squier strat is that it works, and you'll appreciate your new guitar a whole lot more.

the yamaha always seems to be a little expensive no matter how much I neogotiate, 280 euros is the price plus they were throwing in a decent guitar stap and a free lesson.

I am definetely going to buy the roland micro cube, thanks for the heads up on a quality piece of kit eventually, so i'm gonna see what price I could get a guitar and the cube, if it brings it down i'l shell out the cash.

Any extra advice to share is welcome, i'l let ye know how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Stratocaster

You cant go wrong with a squire strat, I would recommend them 100% the advantage I can see over the Yamaha is should you choose to continue and as you get better you don't necessarily have to up grade the guitar. Seems to be a lot more bits and bobs available to up grade a squire. I bought one for my younger brother a while back but he didn't take to playing. After it was let sit for a while I decided to change the pickups and some of the hardware. Turned out great, had allways been impressed with it out of the box and I've also played a pacifica a number of times. Good choice.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help, I'm that much closer to getting the guitar after visiting a great shop in Waterford, Palmer's.

They compete pretty damm well with the online stores by throwing in a heck load of decent gear rather than boxed run-of-the-mill caic with the sets.

Epiphone looks llikely now the les paul special II, just ticks the boxes.

Would people go for the micro-cube or Micro-cube R-X?
    Is it worth it for improved speakers and the mini drum machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭User2

feylya wrote: »
    TBH, I'd stay away from the Special 2. They're really nothing special!

Haggling works in every shop, just to different amounts. You should be able to get a few extras thrown in (strap, strings, cable, picks etc etc).

Check out justinguitar.tv and google "video beginner guitar lessons" and you'll get loads of resources that'll really help.

Listen to that advice, Justinguitar and Youtube should be your best friend while learning...

Good advice Feylya +1

Okay, I bought my guitar on Friday and everything went well, i've been messing arounfd with it and i'm trying to learn different chords,
    the final package: Epiphone les paul special 2 with roland microcube + accessories for 280 euros.

Thanks everyone for the great advice, ive been using justinguitar.com are there any other sites that or resources that people would recommend?

Advertisement