Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do they do that?

Options
  • 19-06-2009 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

When chefs are cutting meat on tv (usually cooked meat for presentation, but quite often when slicing uncooked meat aswell) they always seems to cut it at an angle, ie hold the knife a few degrees off the vertical. Why do they do that? Is it just for fanciness or is there a good reason to do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

corblimey wrote: »
    When chefs are cutting meat on tv (usually cooked meat for presentation, but quite often when slicing uncooked meat aswell) they always seems to cut it at an angle, ie hold the knife a few degrees off the vertical. Why do they do that? Is it just for fanciness or is there a good reason to do it?

sometimes when meats still hot, as in just rested, its easier to cut, depending on the temprature its cooked to (>medium).
    Sits on the plate better, and can be stood up, if chicken or pork fillet etc.

But most of all, cause it looks trick. don't tell me you've never seen ramsay cut some meat, and never thought "cor blimey":confused:
    I'm straight and even i did.....twice:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The meat is usually brown outside and goes different colours to the core. Usually they cut at an angle and sort of fan it out, if they cut it top down and fanned it out you would see less of the nice outside bit, this way the outside bit is still facing up (thats what I figure anyway). Also a steak you would end up with narrow slices, i.e. a 1" steak cut down would have 1" slices, but if you go at an angle they are bigger "discs", maybe 1.5" or even 2" if cut at a good angle. This better shows the difference in colour of the meat cooked outside to inside.

Might be some other reason too.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

rubadub wrote: »
    The meat is usually brown outside and goes different colours to the core. Usually they cut at an angle and sort of fan it out, if they cut it top down and fanned it out you would see less of the nice outside bit, this way the outside bit is still facing up (thats what I figure anyway). Also a steak you would end up with narrow slices, i.e. a 1" steak cut down would have 1" slices, but if you go at an angle they are bigger "discs", maybe 1.5" or even 2" if cut at a good angle. This better shows the difference in colour of the meat cooked outside to inside.

Might be some other reason too.

makes sense, but doubt it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I put such things down to cheffiness. It's probably the current fad, like serving fish fillets with the skin uppermost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I've always thought meat, especially beef, has it's own natural "grain".

If you try carve it straight down it just comes off in lumps, whereas at an angle the meat tends to fall off before the cutting edge better!!

Don't know if I've explained it right,hope someone sees my line of thought!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

I think its all for camera angles

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And it makes zero sense with some cuts. Try cutting skirt steak on the bias like that and you'll be chewing and chewing and chewing...

Advertisement