Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Triple Crankset w/ short arms

Options
  • 19-06-2009 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking for a for Triple Crankset w/ short arms preferably 165 arms and shimano ... please.

Also looking for Shimano Road Shifters/Levers 8 Speed Triple ... Doesn;t have to be together with the crankset.

Don't take the piss, its for touring :)

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Caroline,i have a FSA triple,the arms are 170,is that too long?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

bunnygreen wrote: »
    Caroline,i have a FSA triple,the arms are 170,is that too long?

Thanks for that - My frame is a Trek1000 sz ...43 so, i think it wll be too long. i will inquire with my Bike mechanic BF ...

Cheers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Should have chucked the shifters into the title too ! I have some Sora 8speed shifters sitting in my box o goodies which I never got around to using. Also an 8sp cassette

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Triples are an automatic entry on the wimp list..... just get a 12-28 cassette and a compact and you're fine! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Gavin wrote: »
    Should have chucked the shifters into the title too ! I have some Sora 8speed shifters sitting in my box o goodies which I never got around to using. Also an 8sp cassette

For triple? I'll take that if u re willing to get rid of it :) tell me how much
    Triples are an automatic entry on the wimp list..... just get a 12-28 cassette and a compact and you're fine! :p
    So are pink bikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

So are pink bikes

Touché....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I reckon you might be better off going compact and a big cassette, converting to triple is a lot more work (the shifters in particular.)

If you just want the low gears, I believe some people lob on a MTB rear derailleur, this is a possibly the easiest and cheapest option if you are not running 10 speed- MTB rear derailleur and an 11-34 cassette and you have a 31" low gear even with your current 39 at the front. This is very close to what you would get with a triple and the biggest road cassette (by contrast 34-27 is 34", 30-25 is 32.4", 30-27 is 30".)

You would want to check with someone competent as to whether that will work on your bike mind :)

Note converting to a triple you would need to replace the FD for a triple one and probably the RD as as well for a road long cage... So the MTB RD would make a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I think it's a triple, but I'm not certain. Right one is definitely 8 speed. You are welcome to take them try them out and if you use them... 20 quid ?

They are in almost brand new condition. Slightly scuffed on one side.

Blorgo's idea isn't bad too. I've an xtr derailler on my cheap as chips road bike and it works fine. Mind you, I don't have a large cassette on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

If you decide to go down the MTB derailleur route I've an 8 spd XT cassette in need of a new home if it might fit the rest of the bill - think its 12-34, will check to be sure

Advertisement