Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

His "number"

Options
  • 19-06-2009 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

Of sexual partners....have you asked? Would you rather not know? Does it bother you? How many is too many in your eyes?

I asked the inevtiable question very early on in our relationship. He's 26 and his number is in the late thirties. I acted cool at the time with it, it's more than 3 times mine but for a while I couldn't get his number of partners out of my head. I'm okay about it now but it took me a while. So in a way I wish I'd never asked but me being me I know the curiosity would kill me eventually.

So, what's in the past is in the past? Or did your partner's number of sexual encounters make you judge him? Does it put you off? Not bother you? Or even turn you on? Everyone has a past afterall but being honest it took me a while to get used to the idea of how many he'd been with. Just wondering how others feel about it?

Comments

I hate to hear someone speak disrespectfully of people from their past, or to hear that they treated someone badly. It would be very difficult for me to get my head around that kind of lack of respect, cheating or sleaziness.

A persons number in of itself means nothing to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I would never ask his number and would never offer my own. Either giving a number only serves for comparison, which isn't right. So long as I understood the guy was safe and sensible, well its none of my business or concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I wouldn't ask to be honest, the past is the past. However, if I found out and it was an awful lot then yes it might bother me a bit, but I'd try not to show it - hence why I'd rather not know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

G86 wrote: »
    I wouldn't ask to be honest, the past is the past. However, if I found out and it was an awful lot then yes it might bother me a bit, but I'd try not to show it - hence why I'd rather not know!

Would curiosity not get to you eventually though? I thought the same as you but I just had to know. Not even out of being nosey but just wanting to know what he'd been up to before he met me. I know that was then and this is now but I know pretty much everything about him, I guess this was just one of those things I wanted to know.

I'd love to have you girls' willpower and not ask :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Its not something that I'd think about, I know my number doesn't define me, so I wouldn't ask about his.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Simple rule: if you can't handle it, don't ask.

That said: I'm not bothered by it, but still wouldn't bother asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I neither ask nor volunteer it. Why bother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

Look at it from a different perspective - if he had said his number was 2 or 3, I think you'd be as equally freaked out about his lack of experience.

Does it matter? Seriously?

• Salome wrote: »
    Look at it from a different perspective - if he had said his number was 2 or 3, I think you'd be as equally freaked out about his lack of experience.

Does it matter? Seriously?

Huh? Being with 2 or 3 people doesn't equal a 'lack of experience'. A person can have done all sorts of things with just one partner, and had really boring sex with 35.

Personally, I would say the fewer partners, the better, but I'm not overly bothered once it's not ridiculously high. I couldn't imagine not knowing though, it's something that's come up in all mine and my bf's past relationships. What does bother me is the circumstances, knowing he was with girls he still sees all the time and who I end up having to talk to all the time but I guess that's life when you have a tight social circle. I don't like the situation, but I'm not going to dump the bf because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

It simply doesn't matter. That's the main point of my post.

Or just don't ask a question that you don't really want to know the answer to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I would not like to know but know I am the first( Hopeing) I think its a bad idea to know because as a lady you would i imagine be thinking "Ohh he had it in that thing!"

Unfortunitly I have been very lucky but by many perspectives unlucky. I have had only one. Yes today thats a surprise but believe me. She is worth it! :D

Now that I have been honest perhaps you will.. When does the number become relevent. ie I slept with 10 girls.... right you better have a hiv std test before sleeping with me! Do you get me. How is it broched. When does it become relevent and more importanly how do you say it without splitting up.

Based on this I am surprised there is not a lot more STD's / AIDS in the world

• I'd always ask him to get tested before unprotected sex no matter what his sexual history. Some see that as paranoia but I'd rather be paranoid than ill and unfortunately these days you can't take chances. Luckily, my current BF is great and mature and got tested without any complaints :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I would out of curiosity, but then I'm nosy about everything :pac:
    but no, it doesn't matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

These threads are useful for giving lads the heads-up though. The acceptable level of deception seems to be to admit (with a meaningful, earnest gaze, preferably holding hands) that you've done it enough to make you sound good in the sack, but not enough to make you a player.

Result!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I don't care so have never asked or in any way sought out that information.

How can you tell if the information is accurate? IME, men tend to overcount and women undercount their number.

How does one define a sexual encounter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Gyalist wrote: »

How does one define a sexual encounter?

A sexual encounter would be anything that involves touching of the fun zones IMO.

In regards of the previous partners,Ive never asked any girl(and never will) and would not want to be asked either.On the occasion that she has volunterred the info and expected the quid pro quo then I would tell (lie to)her based on her own number.

EG,if she had had 10 to 15 partners then I would be honest (more than 10, less than 30) but if she would say 1 to 5 then I would likely say less than 10.

Can I ask,would the ladies preferred to be lied to in this regard?

Say a guy had alot of partners,would you prefer he knocked off a certain amount or would you want down the line truth*?

*This is based on the the notion that he has been STI tested and is 100% healthy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I never ask, I did it once and I realised it shouldn't matter what her past is.

Her past experiences including sex etc make her the person she is today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MissFitz

I wouldn't want to know, so wouldn't ask. I'm the type of person that over-analyses everything anyway, so I'd probably only get all paranoid and upset over nothing :D

On the other side of the coin, a previous bf contiuously asked me until I gave in and said the number, then he couldn't handle it and became all jealous and obsessive about it.

So all in all, I prefer not to ask and also not to tell. The past is in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

A few months into our relationship I asked my boyfriend, he answered and asked me, I answered and then that was that. It was such a non event in our (now 10 year) relationship I don't know why I bothered. I was mad about him then and still am now so the number made little or no difference. If it had been massive I'd have been concerned from a health point of view but as others have said you fall for a person and their life experiences to date are what made them the person you fell for in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

[quote=[Deleted User];60785128]I'd always ask him to get tested before unprotected sex no matter what his sexual history. Some see that as paranoia but I'd rather be paranoid than ill and unfortunately these days you can't take chances. Luckily, my current BF is great and mature and got tested without any complaints :D[/QUOTE]

Out of interest, do you then ask to see the results? I should know the waiting period as its a small part of my work, but unless things have changed for an ultimate result your waiting 6 months, as far as I remember.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭valery

Corb wrote: »
    Of sexual partners....have you asked? Would you rather not know? Does it bother you? How many is too many in your eyes?

I asked the inevtiable question very early on in our relationship. He's 26 and his number is in the late thirties. I acted cool at the time with it, it's more than 3 times mine but for a while I couldn't get his number of partners out of my head. I'm okay about it now but it took me a while. So in a way I wish I'd never asked but me being me I know the curiosity would kill me eventually.

So, what's in the past is in the past? Or did your partner's number of sexual encounters make you judge him? Does it put you off? Not bother you? Or even turn you on? Everyone has a past afterall but being honest it took me a while to get used to the idea of how many he'd been with. Just wondering how others feel about it?

He`d been with enough women that by the time I found him he was/is a wonderful lover (honest) . A lot of the way I view sex is due to his influence on me . I dont want to sound like an arse but I really found my mate for life. makes my heart go boom boom. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

My OH and I told each other our numbers fairly early on; if I remember correctly, it came of kind of randomly. And to be perfectly honest, I don't even remember his number! Guess that shows how much it matters.
    nedtheshed wrote: »
    Can I ask,would the ladies preferred to be lied to in this regard?

Say a guy had alot of partners,would you prefer he knocked off a certain amount or would you want down the line truth*?

I'd prefer not to be lied to -- if I go to the bother to ask the question, I want to know the answer. The real answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭gra26

I asked himself fairly early on, out of curiosity. He lied. I told the truth. Then he told the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

stovelid wrote: »
    These threads are useful for giving lads the heads-up though. The acceptable level of deception seems to be to admit (with a meaningful, earnest gaze, preferably holding hands) that you've done it enough to make you sound good in the sack, but not enough to make you a player.

Result!
    I know I'd be sold! :D :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I've never specifically asked about ex's or past sexual encounters but I've never been in a relationship where it didn't crop up in conversation at some stage.

It usually starts out as discussing numbers and longevity of past relations and then as time goes on and more of your/their past comes out you hear stories of the hows and whys. I don't think it's a biggy, tbh - just another part of what contributes to making them the man/lover I know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I would want to know but i wouldnt ask.I'd be nervous that finding out my number may change a lads opinion of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I always feel really shy about my own number.The girls number has never bothered me though

• Odysseus wrote: »
    Out of interest, do you then ask to see the results? I should know the waiting period as its a small part of my work, but unless things have changed for an ultimate result your waiting 6 months, as far as I remember.

Well obviously I ask about the results. They are usually ready in 3 weeks or so. Things like HIV can take 6 months but still it's usually detectable within 3 months, and usually the guy would have been either with me or not with anyone during that time. Just getting tested is fine for me, as I always have protected sex with a new partner anyway.

Interesting that some people count 'all sexual partners'. My BF just counts the ones he had intercourse with which is misleading as he has had sexual encounters with over twice that number. I find it silly to say blowjobs etc don't count as sex but apparently 'nobody counts that stuff' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

[quote=[Deleted User];60791653]Well obviously I ask about the results. They are usually ready in 3 weeks or so. Things like HIV can take 6 months but still it's usually detectable within 3 months, and usually the guy would have been either with me or not with anyone during that time. Just getting tested is fine for me, as I always have protected sex with a new partner anyway.

Interesting that some people count 'all sexual partners'. My BF just counts the ones he had intercourse with which is misleading as he has had sexual encounters with over twice that number. I find it silly to say blowjobs etc don't count as sex but apparently 'nobody counts that stuff' :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Cheers thanks for your response, but asking is different to seeing the test result if you get my point. Yes I was thinking HIV about the waiting time. I was asking because if you just get a verbal response from the person it is open to being lied about, but of course if you have no trust in the first place, it would be a dodgy relationship.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

• Odysseus wrote: »
    Cheers thanks for your response, but asking is different to seeing the test result if you get my point. Yes I was thinking HIV about the waiting time. I was asking because if you just get a verbal response from the person it is open to being lied about, but of course if you have no trust in the first place, it would be a dodgy relationship.

Well, exactly. I wouldn't be with someone I didn't trust enough not to lie about having a serious illness! My bf was a friend beforehand so I knew him well, I doubted that he had anything but he was happy to go and get the all clear if it made me more comfortable.

Advertisement