Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband router & PS3

Options
  • 19-06-2009 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Would anyone know the settings for connecting the standard UPC router to a PS3 wirelessly:

DHCP Host name - set or do not set?
    DNS Setting: Auto or Manual
    MTU: Auto or Manual
    Proxy Server: Do not use or use
    UPnP: Enable & disable

Ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Motion Man

I was never able to get it working, so I switched to Magnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 23:59

Ah feck, you serious? Balls.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Motion Man

23:59 wrote: »
    Ah feck, you serious? Balls.. :(
    Yeah. Could never play Guitar Hero online, and could only sign into my PS3 account once every 5 tries, before being signed out within 5 mins due to a "connection error". My iPhone also had trouble accessing the web through my UPC/NTL wifi - it would connect to the wifi network, but could never actually display a webpage - EVER!

Magnet worked fine for everything once I changed over. It's somthing to do with UPC blocking certain traffic - they also throttle torrents.

Did you try it via a cable? I'm a bit peeved that I can't use my mobile with it, but if the PS3 can't connect, there'll be murder in the house.. Did you try it with a different router by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭SourKraut

I'm about to choose a new ISP. I've used the PS3 as a media centre for the last year or two and would be lost without it. If it has trouble connecting to the router it's be very serious

is this just the internet, or streaming over a home network as well?

• Advertisement

I wonder could I connect up one of my old routers to the new one for the wirless aspect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

are you talking about the netgear router they give?

buy a better wifi router tbh; linksys do good gear

No, it's a Cisco EPC 2425

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

My standard Netgear router that came with my UPC broadband works fine with my PS3 :confused:.

Didn't have to do anything except scan with my PS3 and enter my wep key.

I know, it's strange - it worked fine with the laptop, but not with the PS3. With laptop it's select the network and enter the password. With the PS3, I have to fill in these settings, and I've tried every combination I can think of:

DHCP Host name - set or do not set?
    DNS Setting: Auto or Manual
    MTU: Auto or Manual
    Proxy Server: Do not use or use
    UPnP: Enable or disable

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Set everything to auto I would think. That lets the modem take care of things. I've the ps3 connected by cable to the netgear that they supply, hadn't tried direct to the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

I used my netgear router with two laptops and two mobile phones and never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

SourKraut wrote: »
    I'm about to choose a new ISP. I've used the PS3 as a media centre for the last year or two and would be lost without it. If it has trouble connecting to the router it's be very serious

is this just the internet, or streaming over a home network as well?

Worked with my own router wirelessly first time. Not a problem on UPC.

However, if streaming video make sure the PS3 is wired to the router. I can't tell you wireless settings as I changed to wired after many problems with frame stutter straming.

Makes a huge difference (even if the media centre is kept wireless) which leads me to believe that the 802.11b/g implementation on the PS3 isn't too hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭SourKraut

I've had it the other way around - wired router to the PC and wireless to the PS3 - and it's worked fine.

The PS3 Media Server application is good for transcoding. It's a Java-based app and works better than Tversity or WMP in my experience (though each has its flaws)

Anyway, glad to hear it's not definitively a UPC problem

It's working now! Don't know how, don't know why. But it's A1 and none of the dropped connections which I had with BT

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i had problems keeping a stable connection on my ps3 since i moved to UPC last november.

i found that the UPC DNS servers didn't seem to work very well with it.

i've used the level3 dns for everything for a long while now, but that didn't work well with the ps3 either.

now i have the level3 dns set in my router for everything on my LAN except the PS3 which I manually have set up using the opendns servers (everything else set to auto on the ps3 network settings) and it's been working flawlessly ever since. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Which DNS servers were you using Vibe?

I have a random selection of 3 of the level3 servers (anything from 4.2.2.1 to 4.2.2.6, nice and easy to remember) on my router and the opendns ones (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) manually set on my PS3.

nice and quick on everything on my LAN, although for some reason level3 and PS3 don't mix well and i kept getting disconnections, but the opendns servers seem to work pretty much perfectly on it.

oddly enough, i was using level3 on the router for a long time before i switched to UPC and the PS3 was working fine.

took me a little while to track it down to that and i've no idea what is causing it, but it's working now so i reckon i'm just gonna stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Biggest problems we are having with this EPC 2425 cisco modem is dropping random computers from the wireless and I can't for the amount of trying i've done get the xbox 360 to see TVersity from my pc or any of the other housemates pc's . Anyone have any luck streaming stuff to their consoles with the NTL modem?

i don't have the cisco modem/router, sorry so I can't comment.

what I do have is the older scientific atlanta modem connected to a linksys wrt54gs running the tomato firmware (v1.25) (which in tern is linked to another wrt54gs upstairs via ethernet) and i use 2 desktop pc's, a laptop, a netbook, a ps3, and xbox and a wii as well as 2 mobile phhones with wifi (n97 and nokia 5800) all working perfectly with that set up transfering about 150-250gb per month through the modem and about 1tb per month on the LAN side.

it's a little complicated, and it took a lot of tweaking to get it working perfectly, but it was well worth it. i honestly don't think I could manage with the hardware they give out to you. :(

• Advertisement

Ok i'm looking on the UPC site t&c and it says I should have got the netgear router any chance of the technicians taking it for themselves and giving me a **** one?

R0ot wrote: »
    Ok i'm looking on the UPC site t&c and it says I should have got the netgear router any chance of the technicians taking it for themselves and giving me a **** one?
    they used to supply the scientific atlanta modem with a separate netgear router, but just recently they've moved to using this new cisco jobbie.

you got the newer one. if it makes you feel any better, a lot of people don't rate the netgear one very highly either.

that said it could just be interference. have you tried changing the wireless channel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Got my first look at the new modem the other day.
    A friend was just installed with it.
    The interface isn't as user friendly as the Netgear one, but it's very indept.

You can set things like parental control timers on it so certain computers can only log on at certain times.
    Much more advanced than the WGR.

You have to set it up yourself and apply your own port forwarding etc.
    Once you've done that, you can save all the settings to your own profile.

The modem has a reset button so that you can restore it back to it's install settings, but you can then just reload the profile you saved, so you don't have to go through all the forwarding and stuff again.

Much handier than the old Negear one.

You'd need to know your stuff going through it, but I suppose it's kinda foolproof, cause if you mess it up, all you have to do is press the button and you're back to how it was when it was installed.

I swear the router is toying with my sanity.

Okay so here is what's happening, I called UPC up and they put me through to a techie and he went through the usual "change the wireless channel settings" thing which I followed and said i'd get back to him if any change occurred in the wireless.

Here is the strange thing though, to get the 360 and the rest of the network working properly with this router i've had to circumnavigate the cisco router's wireless completely with a separate wireless access point of my own and effortlessly it works with no port forwarding/DMZ or MAC address filtering of any kind required. Now i've seen strange things before but this literally takes the cake.

Here's the setup I have in text form (because i'm on the gf's laptop and have no access to photoshop)

Setup #1
    Cisco Router [Wireless] >> House Computers, PS3
    Cisco Router [Wired] >> Xbox 360

No communication possible between xbox/ps3 and any computer in the house, varying results from attempting to ping the console from any machine with sometimes it being there and other times not.

Setup #2
    Cisco Router [Wireless] >> (nothing)
    Cisco Router [Wired] >> Xbox, Netgear Access Point
    >> Netgear Access Point [Wireless] House Computers, PS3

Full connection between every machine, zero wireless connection drops, perfecting streaming from PC to Xbox or PC to PS3 with no port forwarding of any kind required.

I'm pretty sure the cisco router is just shoddy and i'll ask for a replacement.

good luck with it mate.

i had trouble with a laptop that just wouldn't connect if my router was on a certain channel, even though everything else was working fine.

it just wouldn't see the wifi at all. i thought it was OS related initially, but it must have been something in hardware as I had the same problems in both windows and linux on the same box, even though other windows and linux boxes in the house were connecting flawlessly.

i changed to another channel and it works fine now in box windows and linux, along with all the rest of my gear. unfortunately, sometimes wireless=weird and there's bugger all you can do. :(

Advertisement