Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why vote lisbon again?

Options
  • 19-06-2009 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

I have scrolled through the posts on lisbon here and many no voters are concerned with the 'democracy in the eu' as we are going to have a second referendum. they ask why? and then they demand that eu is dictatorship...so here's why:

1. Firstly lads the lisbon treaty is a treaty, ie it is a legal document that has the power to change and introduce laws. As with any law, when it is debated in the dail and is rejected, it can be reintroduced after a certain period of time(i think 6 months) and many times other laws have been amended so drastically that they then consist of both the original law and the rejected law. So basically all i'm saying its legal, and will be legal, no matter how unethical it may seem.

2. When an important decission like the budget or the referendum is lost, it generally leads to an election. Now i know it did not this time, but Declan Ganley(the big lisbon opponent) has said that the euro elections were a referendum on lisbon treaty. Now the elections saw one anti-lisbon candidate gaining the mandate(joe higgins) our of 12 possible, with the clear outcome that the yes side won. Since Ganley has put these elections as some sort of mandate seeing from the people to say no lisbon in europe and lost, the goverment and oppostion parties gained a mandate to reopen the lisbon debate and impose another referendum.

3.Just like a small example i'll include the People's Budget put forward by Lloyd George in 1909 which was rejected by the House of Lords and that meant a complete veto back then. There was a general election held and Asquith's liberals got back in power. And what did they do? the reduced House of Lords' powers of veto to just 2 year postponement and then passed the budget anyway(also Ireland achieved Home Rule back then, but thats way off the point). And no one remarks this as undemocratic or as an act of a dictator.

4. Last point really is that if Irish people would certainly vote no in the next referendum then there really wouldnt be this discussion. the sole reason why we are talking about this is because it seems that the yes side will win, which shows how misinformed were the irish before, or how small a minority of people from the overall population(about 800 000 altogether) voted no.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Ok, now get off your soap box, there's plenty of other threads to discuss this in.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

i know there are, but each lisbon thread really comes back to this fundamental thing...so instead of copy and pasting my answer to each thread i thought a new one could make the job easier for me and get the debate over and finished with one and for all

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Rb wrote: »
    Ok, now get off your soap box, there's plenty of other threads to discuss this in.

YEP, Every single one by the looks of it, OP related or not. :(

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

with the elections over - what should be discussed in an eu politics forum? ^

Advertisement