Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use by dates on imported prepacked salads.

Options
  • 19-06-2009 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Good evening ,
    a quick question out to experienced food shoppers:D.

lately I've been buying a lot of leaf salad ,prepacked and washed in tesco. Some of it is from isreal and has use by dates on it ,rather than best before.

Question ,how harmful is green leaf salad if it is eaten after the use by date.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Considering that there is almost no nutritional value in those salads because of Modified atmosphere packing, then as long as the stuff is crunchy it should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

just make sure you wash it first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

You should try growing your own salad leaves - it's really easy and you can even do it in a windowbox. I have a small veggie patch and I grow all the lettuce & radishes for the 6 of us in a 1m square plot. I used to buy the bagged stuff and found either it lasted for weeks or it turned to slime the day after it was opened!

Advertisement